2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just described a water carrier. Again i take your point but i would imagine this isn't by any means a set style of Silvas, I'll be pleased if it's all tabloid nonsense but I'm not going to lose sleep at the prospect of losing a player like Gana. We will lose players it's ok, the most important thing is a smart recruitment strategy and I'm cautiously optimistic we now have that
A water carrier is someone who just retains possession. Gueye is so much more than that.

Don't understand why anybody would think that him leaving wouldn't have a negative impact, at least in the short term. Thankfully I don't think he will.

No the smartest strategy is to plan for all eventualities especially as players head towards their thirties. I suspect we don't quite disagree as much as it may seem my friend but we probably won't make a breakthrough today ha ha!
Plan yes but to sell a player in his prime is crazy
He may be 29 but as Makele showed if a player stays injury free he can play in that position to the same high standard till their mid 30s
I’m sure Nrands has a list of players for every position in case of a player wanting to go , a career ending injury , or a drop off the cliff types of loss of form but you don’t use it if you deliberately sell one of your best players

Plan yes but to sell a player in his prime is crazy
He may be 29 but as Makele showed if a player stays injury free he can play in that position to the same high standard till their mid 30s
I’m sure Nrands has a list of players for every position in case of a player wanting to go , a career ending injury , or a drop off the cliff types of loss of form but you don’t use it if you deliberately sell one of your best players
Makelele was able to adjust his game as he got older and wasn't charging around half as much, more in common with Gaz Barry than Gana. I may be wrong but i don't see that sort of footballing intelligence in Gana

Lad togger is not for you
Dowell instead of Siggy not a major downgrade .
Dowell has done nothing in an Everton shirt
Those that have watched him over the years and rate him will tell you he goes missing in games
You want us to change the way our midfield play and therefore our forward because we change one player
Gana easily replaced , the same Gana that has the best stats in Europe at what he’s asked to do
Listen sweetheart i clearly stated that i wouldn't advocate Dowell for Gylfi, i simply pointed out that things change in football and you adjust and move on. Where did i state that Gana is easily replaced? Did the [Poor language removed] replace coutinho? No they adjusted and improved. Wind your neck in you clown

A water carrier is someone who just retains possession. Gueye is so much more than that.

Don't understand why anybody would think that him leaving wouldn't have a negative impact, at least in the short term. Thankfully I don't think he will.
A water carrier is someone that does the dirty work so that the actual footballers can play. It was thrown at Deschamp years ago, can't remember by who though

Listen sweetheart i clearly stated that i wouldn't advocate Dowell for Gylfi, i simply pointed out that things change in football and you adjust and move on. Where did i state that Gana is easily replaced? Did the [Poor language removed] replace coutinho? No they adjusted and improved. Wind your neck in you clown
We got a live one

The smartest recruitment strategy is to keep your best players and replace the weaker ones in your first 11
At the moment Gana is one of our best players
He’s a perfect player for a Moyes, Sam and Koeman. Managers who are happy to sit and defend. If you picked our best 11, gana would be one of the worst from a technical point of view. And I’m not sure going forward a Silva type manger is happy with 31% possession at Chelsea and one shot on target. I’m not blaming just Gana, I would add Walcott & Coleman as are other players, who technically aren’t good enough.

You can’t win games at the top 6 when you hardly have the ball. You can say Gana wins it back and is top of the tackling stats, but he also gives the ball away cheeply, which he did 3 or 4 times v Chelsea.

I posted on here last week about Gana being top of the tackling stats for prem midfielders. Interesting that the top 15 on the list, not one from the sky 6. Was only 6 weeks ago McCarthy was getting talked about by a number of people on here, as a perfect player for Silva and a great partner for Gana. At the time I disagreed saying I didn’t believe that wasn’t a midfield silva would want. Now Gomes has come in and shown up every other midfielder at the club, from a technical point of view and he’s still not match sharp. The McCarthy shouts have gone away.

Silva seems to me a manager who wants to try and dominate possession and I think him and Brands will bring them players in over the next 2 windows.

He’s a perfect player for a Moyes, Sam and Koeman. Managers who are happy to sit and defend. If you picked our best 11, gana would be one of the worst from a technical point of view. And I’m not sure going forward a Silva type manger is happy with 31% possession at Chelsea and one shot on target. I’m not blaming just Gana, I would add Walcott & Coleman as are other players, who technically aren’t good enough.

You can’t win games at the top 6 when you hardly have the ball. You can say Gana wins it back and is top of the tackling stats, but he also gives the ball away cheeply, which he did 3 or 4 times v Chelsea.

I posted on here last week about Gana being top of the tackling stats for prem midfielders. Interesting that the top 15 on the list, not one from the sky 6. Was only 6 weeks ago McCarthy was getting talked about by a number of people on here, as a perfect player for Silva and a great partner for Gana. At the time I disagreed saying I didn’t believe that wasn’t a midfield silva would want. Now Gomes has come in and shown up every other midfielder at the club, from a technical point of view and he’s still not match sharp. The McCarthy shouts have gone away.

Silva seems to me a manager who wants to try and dominate possession and I think him and Brands will bring them players in over the next 2 windows.
I agree on MCCarthy but most of the top six have a player that plays the Gana role
Fernandinho at City
Jorghino at Chelsea
Dier at Spurs
Herrera or Matic at United
However as those teams generally have better players all around the pitch then they have a lot more possession and possession in their attacking third , therefore their defensive midfielders don’t get the opportunity to put in as many tackles and the chance to regain possession as Gana does
Viera had Petit beside him
Scholes had Keane
Zidane had Deschamps
Lampard had Makele
All the big sides have a defensive midfielder, maybe technically Better than Gana but at the moment we need Gana tackling and regaining the ball qualities because we come under more pressure than the top 6
If we ever get to the stage where we dominate possession in most games then granted we may look for a technically better DM but at the moment he’s ideal for us

Gana makes our possession stats much better though, because he invariably wins it straight back as soon as someone loses it. With quality around him his passing really isn't bad either. He's never going to thread it through the eye of a needle or spray 60 yard balls round, but he's more than competent on the ball.

We got a live one
Wow concise footballing insight. Run along and find your Gana posters, see if you can separate the pages after your last "show of support" and do your loving. I'll carry on supporting one of the great clubs of the world and trusting that paid professionals come and go. Enjoy your thirteenth birthday!

I agree on MCCarthy but most of the top six have a player that plays the Gana role
Fernandinho at City
Jorghino at Chelsea
Dier at Spurs
Herrera or Matic at United
However as those teams generally have better players all around the pitch then they have a lot more possession and possession in their attacking third , therefore their defensive midfielders don’t get the opportunity to put in as many tackles and the chance to regain possession as Gana does
Viera had Petit beside him
Scholes had Keane
Zidane had Deschamps
Lampard had Makele
All the big sides have a defensive midfielder, maybe technically Better than Gana but at the moment we need Gana tackling and regaining the ball qualities because we come under more pressure than the top 6
If we ever get to the stage where we dominate possession in most games then granted we may look for a technically better DM but at the moment he’s ideal for us
I don’t think he’s as good as Fernandinho or Jorginho, I don’t rate Dier or Matic. All them 4 I see as proper number 6’s, which i don’t think gana is. Silva mentioned in the summer how important he saw the number 6 role and name checked Schneiderlin, obviously he’s made his mind up pretty quickly on him.

Maybe he’s changed his mind and see’s gana & Gomes, if we can keep him as the perfect combination. And by improving the right hand side of the team, will mean gana’s small limitations aren’t to much of a problem moving forward.

Gueye and Gomes are my first choice 6 and 8 If everyone fit. Covered by McCarthy and Davies they would be who I choose. However football moves on and if worst scenario comes and Gueye leaves we will be able to initially cover from within maybe to a lower quality but still at a decent level. We will then find either a like for like replacement or we may tweak our style of play. I think Silva wanted a different type of 6 to what Gueye is but his performances have convinced him that Gueye is the man for the job. If he does leave maybe Silva will go back to looking for the player he originally wanted. All credit to Gueye in the way he has made himself very important to the team.

I don’t think he’s as good as Fernandinho or Jorginho, I don’t rate Dier or Matic. All them 4 I see as proper number 6’s, which i don’t think gana is. Silva mentioned in the summer how important he saw the number 6 role and name checked Schneiderlin, obviously he’s made his mind up pretty quickly on him.

Maybe he’s changed his mind and see’s gana & Gomes, if we can keep him as the perfect combination. And by improving the right hand side of the team, will mean gana’s small limitations aren’t to much of a problem moving forward.
I think he sort of has changed his mind. For the medium term at least. I don't think Silva thinks Schneiderlin is awful, I think he's just realised he can't play with Gana, and he wants to play Gana. I don't think he necessarily rates Davies above Schneiderlin, he just sees him as capable of replacing either Gana or Gomes (in terms of role, not quality) if necessary and so picks him on the bench.

Gana is not one of the world's great midfielders, but he is extraordinarily good at what he does, and what he does is really important to how we play.

Status
Not open for further replies.