Idrissa Gueye new 5 year deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone REALLY give a toss about how it was announced or wasn't announced at the time?

It's almost like people want to moan for the sake of it.
Think it's just a bit embarrassing that we didn't announce it ourselves but waited until it had been made public by the FA. Not a big deal but in line with the kind of amateurism we're sadly used to.

I think it's right for people to give a toss about how it was announced and why. Football is a very closed shop. Clubs are obsessed with PR. Fans' reactions are one of the main mechanisms to keep a club's behaviour in check. Clubs need to know that fans will be onto them if there is any sign of cover-up or incompetence.

In this case, I can't recall another instance in recent times where one of the club's top players has agreed a long-term extension to a contract and it gets announced four months later. It doesn't mean fans should assume the worst -- it could easily be innocuous -- but they shouldn't just ignore it, however inconsequential it might seem.

A very good player for us but I don't think any of the teams above us will be chasing him. The idea that Arsenal are interested is fanciful. Wenger only wants players that are absolute footballers whereas Gueye is more about energy and effort than pure football.
2 points
Arsenal are not exactly tearing the league up this season with a team of footballers
Secondly Wenger probably won’t be there next season

Given that the club has done this for every other player, even Evans this week, has it not occurred to people there is probably a very good reason why they haven't? Maybe Gueye didn't want it released so the club didn't? Maybe they wanted to get a player in January thinking that Gueye hadn't signed a contract? No idea. I know we like to kick the club at every given opportunity but I just don't buy that a really simple press release was overlooked.

4 months ago Gueye was playing awful. If the club had come out then and said they had given him a new contract with a substantial pay rise people would have been on here screaming about him being a waste of space and not worth it.

He's boss our Gueye, glad he's signed. Tackles his mar for Crimbo dinner this kid.

He hasn't actually been that bad this year, still up there with most tackles and interceptions in the league. He just looks a lot worse carrying his CM partners all game.

Edit:

From the BBC Website

Since arriving at Goodison Park, he has scored three goals in 64 appearances.

He made 135 tackles last season - the most in the Premier League - as Everton finished seventh, and this season he is second with 85 behind Leicester's Wilfred Ndidi's 113.

Gueye has made 221 tackles in the Premier League since his Everton debut in August 2016 - 13 more than any other player in the competition.

Last edited:
From the BBC Website

Since arriving at Goodison Park, he has scored three goals in 64 appearances.

He made 135 tackles last season - the most in the Premier League - as Everton finished seventh, and this season he is second with 85 behind Leicester's Wilfred Ndidi's 113.

Gueye has made 221 tackles in the Premier League since his Everton debut in August 2016 - 13 more than any other player in the competition.

So in summary, we have a good one on our hands, who has had his career slightly curtailed by the downward slide Everton have been on this season.

The next 2 seasons, the team should be built around a nucleus and he should 100% be part of that nucleus.

Coleman, Gueye, Walcott, Gylfi and Pickford.

Think it's just a bit embarrassing that we didn't announce it ourselves but waited until it had been made public by the FA. Not a big deal but in line with the kind of amateurism we're sadly used to.

Nobody else cares though. It's only embarrassing to us if we let it be. It would be somewhat embarrassing if we didn't resign him etc...

I like this new attitude personally. "Yeah we have signed one of our better players to a long term deal, and what?" We should do it with transfers too. Sign someone and don't even announce it, just play him as a surprise one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.