'Howard's Way' Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which begs the question - why did he keep trying then?

He met the definition of insanity that is often credited (with no real basis) to Einstein.

To this day, I am convinced he’d have got us relegated if he hadn’t “gone” when he did!

Signing Alcaraz and Funes Mori was a masterstroke too
He was trying to add defenders who could be more comfortable on the ball...as with Stones and his progress under Martinez.

If he'd have had the cash spent by his successors he'd have got the right quality people in to play out from the back.

Which begs the question - why did he keep trying then?

He met the definition of insanity that is often credited (with no real basis) to Einstein.
I agree. He couldn't compromise and had to leave. The irony being that with the cash that came in his wake he'd have done a far better job spending it on quality than Koeman, Allardyce and Silva.

I agree. He couldn't compromise and had to leave. The irony being that with the cash that came in his wake he'd have done a far better job spending it on quality than Koeman, Allardyce and Silva.

He wanted Moshiri to sort a deal for Elmohamady.

If that long passage of possession football that led to that goal had taken place at Goodison under Martinez, it;d have been howled down well before the move was halfway through.

THAT was the effect of 11 years of Moyes' up and under football. It bred a generation of Evertonians who didn't have a clue about how football was supposed to be played.

Kindred spirits...

nwsat171013ckendallmartinez-1.jpg

Please don't compare Martinez to Kendall. Kendall's side could play patient tippy tappy, quick high press, long ball direct and counter attack as well as snide dirty clever football. They also knew how to score and defend set-pieces. As I said, please don't compare Kendall's side to Martinez's one dimensional tippy tappy can't defend for toffee football.

Please don't compare Martinez to Kendall. Kendall's side could play patient tippy tappy, quick high press, long ball direct and counter attack as well as snide dirty clever football. They also knew how to score and defend set-pieces. As I said, please don't compare Kendall's side to Martinez's one dimensional tippy tappy can't defend for toffee football.
HKs side was eventually, and should have been the best team in Europe......
No comparison to Roberto's rieign yet it was cut short, I agree with @davek that we have as yet not improved under the string of Managers excluding Carlo .....
I always maintained the selection of Tim Howard for 18 months would be the downfall of Matienez,s system of football.'.its to late now the football was exciting at first but then defensively a nightmare..,.with money we have now who knows what Roberto's signings may have been ?
He certainly did well with loans, and bargains, producing our highest points in the premiership so far - as I agree 100 percent that no one to date has come near him in points and the stylish football - it's now down to Carlo do get rid of deadwood, and stamp the brand of successful entertaining winning footballall fans want to see.....

HKs side was eventually, and should have been the best team in Europe......
No comparison to Roberto's rieign yet it was cut short, I agree with @davek that we have as yet not improved under the string of Managers excluding Carlo .....
I always maintained the selection of Tim Howard for 18 months would be the downfall of Matienez,s system of football.'.its to late now the football was exciting at first but then defensively a nightmare..,.with money we have now who knows what Roberto's signings may have been ?
He certainly do well with loans, and bargains, producing our highest points Inthe premiership so far - as I agree 100 percent that no one to date has come near him in points and the stylish football - it's now down to Carlo do get rid of deadwood, and stamp the brand of successful entertaining winning footballall fans want to see.....

I agree with everything you say Joey. Martinez is a nice guy and he was a good fit for Everton. I was more saddened than most that things didn't work out for him. It is questionable whether he would have achieved more with better players. His footballing philosophy was too one-dimensional and he wasn't able to adapt once other teams figured out how to nulify Everton as an attacking force.
As I alluded to in my previous post, comparing anything Martinez has done to Howard can only be in my humble opinion pure trolling.

I agree with everything you say Joey. Martinez is a nice guy and he was a good fit for Everton. I was more saddened than most that things didn't work out for him. It is questionable whether he would have achieved more with better players. His footballing philosophy was too one-dimensional and he wasn't able to adapt once other teams figured out how to nulify Everton as an attacking force.
As I said in my previous post, comparing anything Martinez has done to Howard is pure trolling.
No comparison, yet HK was given time, but even then we did not have abundance of transfer funds back then, it was his inspiring signings plus the promotion of Colin Harvey as his assistant that turned the corner for us blending a team of stars and bargain players to gel the way we did shame the heart was ripped apart with that dreaded European ban ......

No comparison, yet HK was given time, but even then we did not have abundance of transfer funds back then, it was his inspiring signings plus the promotion of Colin Harvey as his assistant that turned the corner for us blending a team of stars and bargain players to gel the way we did shame the heart was ripped apart with that dreaded European ban ......

Exactly Joey. Do you remember us being labelled by the media as the 'team with no stars'? Howard and Colin turned decent players into great players. The way he built and moulded that side was exceptional. I believe that if that side had todays fitness and nutrition development, they would rinse any side in the Premier League.

Martinez's team could play possession football and counter attack....the fact that the yard dogs he inherited from Moyes couldn't progress any more than he was able to get out of them after the first season is the real issue.

Martinez's team could play possession football and counter attack....the fact that the yard dogs he inherited from Moyes couldn't progress any more than he was able to get out of them after the first season is the real issue.

Totally disagree mate.
After riding the wave of a squad he inherited from Moyes , we got worse and worse.
Loads of possession with no end product.
He had lost the squad by the time he was correctly punted.

Hasn’t all this regarding Martinez been done to death by now or does another thread need to be ruined by Davek and his defence of him?

He was trying to add defenders who could be more comfortable on the ball...as with Stones and his progress under Martinez.

If he'd have had the cash spent by his successors he'd have got the right quality people in to play out from the back.
I think he wanted van dijk when he was at celtic when stone's almost left for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.