'Howard's Way' Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

The difference there is that ended up with a half decent chance for us. With Martinez (not the first season of course) it would have ended with us going backwards to our own penalty box until we gave it away and the other team scored.

If that long passage of possession football that led to that goal had taken place at Goodison under Martinez, it;d have been howled down well before the move was halfway through.

THAT was the effect of 11 years of Moyes' up and under football. It bred a generation of Evertonians who didn't have a clue about how football was supposed to be played.

Kindred spirits...

nwsat171013ckendallmartinez-1.jpg

If that long passage of possession football that led to that goal had taken place at Goodison under Martinez, it;d have been howled down well before the move was halfway through.

THAT was the effect of 11 years of Moyes' up and under football. It bred a generation of Evertonians who didn't have a clue about how football was supposed to be played.

Kindred spirits...

nwsat171013ckendallmartinez-1.jpg

I dunno mate, I think one of Martinez's biggest flaws about how he had us play was how we played out of possession. We'd often be too passive and lack the intensity and pressing that I think all Evertonian's of all era's demand from this club. I kind of got why he had us this way, we had really good counterattacking players under Martinez; Lukaku, Barkley, Mirallas, Deulofeu, Coleman etc... and I think he wanted to create those transitions as much as possible but in doing so you take away an element of control we should be having against teams we're much, much better than.

I dunno mate, I think one of Martinez's biggest flaws about how he had us play was how we played out of possession. We'd often be too passive and lack the intensity and pressing that I think all Evertonian's of all era's demand from this club. I kind of got why he had us this way, we had really good counterattacking players under Martinez; Lukaku, Barkley, Mirallas, Deulofeu, Coleman etc... and I think he wanted to create those transitions as much as possible but in doing so you take away an element of control we should be having against teams we're much, much better than.
Needed the cash to move beyond the way he could get Moyes' players to play after that first season.

As the dust settles on that period we can see more clearly what happened: a manager whose way of playing was completely beyond the abilities of the players he had. When he had class to play - as at Belgium - his methods bore fruit.

The old adage that you cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear is appropriate here.

Needed the cash to move beyond the way he could get Moyes' players to play after that first season.

As the dust settles on that period we can see more clearly what happened: a manager whose way of playing was completely beyond the abilities of the players he had. When he had class to play - as at Belgium - his methods bore fruit.

The old adage that you cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear is appropriate here.
Which begs the question - why did he keep trying then?

He met the definition of insanity that is often credited (with no real basis) to Einstein.

Status
Not open for further replies.