'Howard's Way' Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
38D52B6B-0B98-4E2B-B9BD-9FA50AB3A6FC.jpeg

Totally disagree mate.
After riding the wave of a squad he inherited from Moyes , we got worse and worse.
Loads of possession with no end product.
He had lost the squad by the time he was correctly punted.
I think it was a blend of both arguments To be fair. there was no doubt that the first season was joyous to behold, every single one of us thought we were going places That season. However, whilst RM undoubtedly stamped his Wenger-like flair on the style of football we saw that season, he also mirrored Wengers primary fault, which was “my way works, I will not change”. This ultimately led to his downfall, because he wasn’t willing to accept that his first season - In which he had unshackled the players from the safety first Moyes ethos - was also massively helped by the fact that the entire team still retained the Moyes defensive qualities.

I personally think the main similarity between Howard and Roberto was they both believed the game should be beautiful. The biggest difference was that Howard was pragmatic enough to realise that sometimes it had to be ugly, Sadly Roberto never did. Had RM been given the funds, he would undoubtedly have spent it on ever more creative footballers, whilst retaining his blind spot on the ugly side. In a way that was Wengers downfall, He refused, season after season to accept that his keepers were not up to scratch, instead remaining focussed on the “perfect game”.

I really liked RM and I think he truly transformed us, and I hate the way he is now demonised, but I also believe that had he been given HK’s 80’s side, he would have had success, but not as much as HK due to that unwillingness to compromise. The truly successful managers have a preferred system as plan A, with a plan B and plan C for when things go belly up.

I genuinely hope RM finds a plan B because I think he is a lovely guy and would dearly love him and that Belgium side to win something, I would hate to see a side so talented ultimately fail ( as the great Dutch sides have done).

Thanks . I ended up searching for it on Amazon after posting and watched it the other night, brilliant.
Great film, ruined for me, by the fact the maker just had to fit in somewhere, the footage of the other lot from across the park putting five past us at Goodison.
No place for them in an Everton film.

I wish I could dislike him, but I loved watching him play for us.
"And Lineker to chase.. Just look at his pace ! "

I know Oxford away in the Milk Cup will forever be a turning point in our history, but I wonder if he'd stuck those sitters away there in the league how everything would have panned out....

I know Oxford away in the Milk Cup will forever be a turning point in our history, but I wonder if he'd stuck those sitters away there in the league how everything would have panned out....
Everton that - but the European ban would still have split HK team up - HK even moved on himself....... An extra title in our records that's all .....but we still won it the season after without Lineker..?

Everton that - but the European ban would still have split HK team up - HK even moved on himself....... An extra title in our records that's all .....but we still won it the season after without Lineker..?

Watching that Ipswich game last week has whet my appetite to watch this film again Joey, once the missus has gone to bed....

Thoroughly enjoyed Everton-Howards Way., I will now buy a DVD to scrutinise people in the background, a lot of the faces are recognisable but they like me
are a bit worse for wear and I'll need a bit of time sorting them out .Harvey on hearing the bad news of Howard was very emotional and so was I.

Finally got to see this over the weekend and it brought back so many memories of a great time to be an Evertonian. Brilliantly made film especially given the lack of decent footage in those days. Brought home the effect the European ban had on the club, it's not in the film but I remember Beckenbauer (I think) saying that the following years European Cup was completely devalued as the best team in Europe were not in it. If you were not around in those days that is how good they were.

Finally got to see this over the weekend and it brought back so many memories of a great time to be an Evertonian. Brilliantly made film especially given the lack of decent footage in those days. Brought home the effect the European ban had on the club, it's not in the film but I remember Beckenbauer (I think) saying that the following years European Cup was completely devalued as the best team in Europe were not in it. If you were not around in those days that is how good they were.

Watched it tonight and totally agree. Also, that was a team full of characters. We need some characters and leaders in the current team.

Status
Not open for further replies.