Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
its deja vu though. Scoring then conceding seconds after in a poor way has happened plenty for a few seasons.

Pin pointing one player at fault for that goal tonight when it's a notable problem in concentration for seasons is looking at the smaller picture

It happens regularly in football games in general mate. Which is why its important to be alert for 90 mins and switch on after you score, yes i think he could have done better then the starfish and jumping over the ball, i blame him for the first as well. Yes defenders made mistakes, defenders do make mistakes. Hes the keeper mate he is supposed to save goal scoring oppurtunites, if either was a well taken goal or unstoppable i wouldnt open my mouth. But they were both chances a PL keeper should be saving with ease.

That said the ball has changed a lot over the years.

Would we have won tonight, with a good PL keeper? imo - Yes.

Howard makes a mistake: "Not good enough, get rid."

Howard make a good save: "Well, that's what he's supposed to do."

Same song, 65th verse.

American: "Howard is the number 1 goalkeeper in the world. USA! USA! USA!".

He's been poor.

Very poor.

Like against Villa, and during pre-season.

Poor.

Why do you insist that I base my opinions on Howard because he's American?

What evidence do you have of this? None.

Carry on mate.

Why do you insist that I base my opinions on Howard because he's American?

What evidence do you have of this? None.

Carry on mate.

Howard was appalling, and the "world class save" he made was parried into the path of Ben Arfa when he should of parried it the other direction.

He came out twice tonight and failed to get the ball on both occasions, during the corners we conceded he just shoved Distin and Jagielka around like they were idiots.

I honestly believe that the defence has lost trust with him.

I rated Howard, I really did - and I sang his praises on here when he was good.

But this season he has been utter gash, Richard Wright gash.

he is average just that, dont like him never will, seems a decent bloke but hasnt matured into being anything other than average, angles are all over the place, and he must be the least commanding keeper in the top flight, first goal was because he had the angles wrong it wasnt the best of shots, second if he had just ran straight at him, the ball would have just hit him, but until we have somebody in he is nailed on to start.

Howard was appalling, and the "world class save" he made was parried into the path of Ben Arfa when he should of parried it the other direction.

He came out twice tonight and failed to get the ball on both occasions, during the corners we conceded he just shoved Distin and Jagielka around like they were idiots.

I honestly believe that the defence has lost trust with him.

I rated Howard, I really did - and I sang his praises on here when he was good.

But this season he has been utter gash, Richard Wright gash.

It looks like this if you watch the body language of our defenders.

Howard makes a mistake: "Not good enough, get rid."

Howard make a good save: "Well, that's what he's supposed to do."

Same song, 65th verse.

He makes mistakes more and more these days. A good goalkeeper doesnt make many mistakes. He makes loads and his goalkeeping basics are either terrible or highly unorthodox.

Considering that our defence gives out relatively few chances and most of them are outside the box Howard's stats look a lot better than he actually is. Ie. stats say he's the 7th best in the prem last season, but a very large proportion of our teams goals conceded have been from Howard's errors. Imagine him with a mediocre PL defence. I think he's good enough to a decent backup keeper for someone.

Howard was good a few seasons ago by the way. But we have got to stop living in the past. As hktoffee says he certainly needs pushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.