Howard Webb

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was shocking with respect to cards. Even the most basic challenges were being carded. It's Webb though, so it was unlikely anyone would see red.

My guess is that Webb knew prior to the game about the tactics to expect, so he was focusing on it.

He was shocking with respect to cards. Even the most basic challenges were being carded. It's Webb though, so it was unlikely anyone would see red.

My guess is that Webb knew prior to the game about the tactics to expect, so he was focusing on it.

a bit one-sided tho werent they - 5-1. he was lenient on balotteli and kompany and did he even see neville on silva?

Big game for you mid week mate, should be a cracker that.

Huge game, mate. Probably the toughest we'll have in the group stages. Bayern had score 27 goals but allowed 1.

Good luck in the derby, can't stand them.

a bit one-sided tho werent they - 5-1. he was lenient on balotteli and kompany and did he even see neville on silva?

Yeah, they were one-sided. Think he thought that Neville had grabbed Silva's shirt, stopping him from releasing. Normally a yellow but it didn't look like much.

Huge game, mate. Probably the toughest we'll have in the group stages. Bayern had score 27 goals but allowed 1.

Good luck in the derby, can't stand them.

Yeah, they were one-sided. Think he thought that Neville had grabbed Silva's shirt, stopping him from releasing. Normally a yellow but it didn't look like much.

`thought` - i figured he was making it up as he went. ho-hum. anyway - you probably dont need to be told but, keep `em peeled if you go to naples.

I'm a fan of Webb and I think he is arguably the best prem ref but that was a shocking performance. The one that got me the most was the foul on Saha. I think he bottled it knowing he would have to give a second yellow and a red to kompany.
All the yellows for us were a piss take too!

Refs will continue to make decisions that they WANT to make until they are held accountable for poor performances. All sports officiating is like this. I work for a major league baseball team and I see it everyday. No one will reprimand the umpires if they continue to make bad calls. They go unchallenged. Because of their union. The FA needs to come down on the the referees. Hold them accountable for continued poor performances. I know they're human. But so are the players. If the player is consistently poor, they are held accountable. Why not a referee?

As I highlight in my report on RBM it's pretty obvious that Webb (and other refs) are fairly poor. In any event I think he is taken in by the flow of the game to give decisions that might, to an impartial eye, seem right in the context of the game. To clarify this you might argue that Everton were, largely, under the cosh. Therefore it would be consistent, under these circumstances, to assume, in part at any rate, that some of our challenges were unfair. Nevertheless he makes a rod for his own back by over-siding with, typically, the dominant side in any particular match. There can be little argument that, after the first quarter of an hour, City were largely in control. Now if we deal with the individual tackles he gave yellow cards for:

Rodwell - went in pretty hard, opponent made enough of it to convince most refs to give a card
Osman - a fairly cynical shoulder barge (little attempt to win the ball) to stop Richards advancing into a more dangerous position - a little harsh but probably right.
Neville - I really am struggling with this one - no, I can't be bothered to replay the game but it seems Silva is a street wise little son of a b**ch who conned Webb. Webb neither seemed to see what was happening nor bothered to consult the assistant - indicative of a control mechanism prevalent in many refs - i.e. "I'm the one in charge here" - with 40,000 City fans baying for blood he decided an offence had taken place and awarded a card, totally incorrectly.
Cahill - because it looks bad, because it's from behind, because the opponent made a lot of it when the contact appeared pretty minimal (and maybe because it's Tim Cahill) he gave another yellow
Jags - by now I lost interest and can't even remember this card

As for us - well Toure couldn't get away with his challenge but Baines was clearly blocked (worse than Osman's challenge on Richards) - also a card.

It's not really the cards that matter but sometimes the effect they have (in loosening Everton's ability to challenge harder). Furthermore I'd argue that Webb decided that Saha was conning him (what other reason can Saha have for falling over at the edge of the box if he hasn't been checked)? Webb probably saw it as an attempt to win a (rare) chance in or around the box. Frankly of course that's pish - he saw this and yet didn't see the Neville incident. This is just as bad as the failure to see the penalty (at 1-0) against Villa. You have to ask yourself how (and why) can Baines go flying if not for contact? If refs could be bothered to have a kick around and maybe simulate some diving in the penalty box (I bet they don't) they might figure out what's going on - you simply can't manufacture the defenders reaction - nor indeed an honest fall to the ground by the attacker - without contact. Without contact the defender would be concentrating on the ball, with it however he manages to take his eye off the ball and produce the 'not guilty guv' hands in the air stance.. you get my drift I think. Anyway too many mistakes - no sour grapes just the usual incompetence which, in this instance, Everton are the victims. I'd much rather there were many fewer refereeing decisions for us to complain about. I guess when we get decent results we gloss over them.

This.

I think before they are allowed to play in Britain, foreign players should be shown a compilation video of the 70's and 80's greatest sliding tackles, and told, "This is how WE play over here"

It wont do much good for the national team though mate if you play for different rules in England than else where in the world.

Rodwell's tackle, while seeming to come from behind, actually slid in and around Silva without scissoring Silva. He got the ball, and it looked a robust but totally sound tackle with no real danger of injury.
If that tackle had been made in the derby, no one would raise an eyebrow. Unless Stevie G was the victim, in which case we'd get an instant red and a subsequent 3-5 match ban.

The Premiership is getting to be like the Serie A used to be during 90's and early 00's with the refs obviously making weighed decisions based on which team was favoured in media/the FA. Big teams always get the decisions, low tier teams are never given the benefit of doubt..

Webb is the biggest culprit when it comes to giving decisions for the so called 'big clubs'. Time after time he is praised for his performances in games between, for example, Man Utd and Arsenal or Chelsea and Spurs or whoever but when he refs Liverpool versus West Brom or Arsenal versus Bolton , West Brom and Bolton get the shaft. It really gets on my nards because it happens just about every week and no one ever says anything about it. Alright the more defensive of the teams is always going to attract more fouls and more cards but in like for like situations (e.g. Balottelli going through the back of Jags, foul - no card; Jags going through the back of Balottelli, foul - yellow card) he always favours the perceived bigger team.

Status
Not open for further replies.