2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last post on the subject as I don't want to be mean.

I'll compare two footballers.

Almost exactly the same age - the non-Icelandic is a couple of months younger.

One cost £45m, the other was free.

To make it fair I've compared them over the last 3 seasons - although I've had to exclude Gylfi's current season as I can only compare 5 seasons of data, however as none of this seasons numbers are the best it hasn't made it look worse.

In the last 3 years across every attacking metric you can compare on Junior Stanislas has been a more productive player on a per 90 minute comparison. With the exception of assists in which GS's last season for Swansea pips Junior by 0.04 of a goal every 90 minutes.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...scored/successful_take_ons/pass_completion#90

Brutal

Not into stats myself, I prefer to judge a player with what I see. For what it’s worth, I think Siguardsson was excellent at Swansea, but the team seemed to be built around his talents. Fast forward to his over priced move to Everton and he has looked a shadow of the player we saw at Swansea. You can argue not being picked on a regular basis in his favoured no. 10 hasn’t helped, but frankly he hasn’t helped himself with his largely lacklustre performances this season. I’m expecting a lot better next season, but the same could be said of a number of player’s within the squad.

I've compared him to every midfielder with a min of 20 games to make it fairer.

I've included every stat to make it fairer.

Do you want him compared to strikers or defenders? The midfielders comparison includes wide players like Zaha and Sane as well as holding players and #10s.

I've compared him with every other player so a huge variety of tactics are involved - from Burnley to Man City.

Your sole argument seems to be because he is 33rd in terms of key passes per 90 minutes, and 99th in terms of total passes that he is efficient at chance creation. I saw that a lot before we signed him and counter argued that it is better to create 2 chances a match from 100 passes (2% efficiency) than 1 from 1 (100% efficiency) because you end up with twice as many chances.

My last post on the subject as I don't want to be mean.

I'll compare two footballers.

Almost exactly the same age - the non-Icelandic is a couple of months younger.

One cost £45m, the other was free.

To make it fair I've compared them over the last 3 seasons - although I've had to exclude Gylfi's current season as I can only compare 5 seasons of data, however as none of this seasons numbers are the best it hasn't made it look worse.

In the last 3 years across every attacking metric you can compare on Junior Stanislas has been a more productive player on a per 90 minute comparison. With the exception of assists in which GS's last season for Swansea pips Junior by 0.04 of a goal every 90 minutes.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...scored/successful_take_ons/pass_completion#90

Oooof. And thats with the stats as well. Usually they are used to help to distort the facts when you watch a player do very little, week after week, but he somehow has numbers that convince people not to believe what they can see with their own eyes (see Idrissa Gueye).

Like I said in my earlier post, normally, if we had a player who scored a 45 yard volley or a Derby goal at Anfield, you are looking at instant cult hero status. It's a mark of how ordinary he has been, that he has done both in his 1st season and he still splits opinion.

People keep using these nonsense excuses about our tactics, him being played out of position, not being able to play with certain other players, his fee, etc, being a hindrance. The sign of a truly top player would be that he would improve us DESPITE these things. But he genuinely hasn't, and if he has, then by God I dread to think what we'd have been like if we had told Swansea were to go, like we shouldve when they went north of £30m.

Don't get me wrong, he's not awful, like a Claus Thomsen or Tobias Linderoth. He does have some qualities, and he seems like a decent bloke. But he just doesn't seem to have that X Factor to be a true difference maker.

I compared him to Arteta in my other post. Now for all the people saying Sigurdsson has been played out of position, Moyes used Arteta on the right wing, left Wing, attacking mid, centre mid, defensive mid, all over the pitch basically. And each and every time, he made the position his own. He was our best player wherever he was played. He demanded the ball and he influenced games. No excuses about where his best position was. He was that good, it didn't matter.

Sigurdsson for me, is more in the Osman mould. No real pace or power, and nothing to truly set him apart. Not the sort to dictate the pace of a game or lead by example, but has a tendency to play well when everyone else does. He's neat and tidy, and every now and then will have a really good game or score an important or spectacular goal. Then he will revert to type and flatter to deceive for months on end.

I really do hope he gets fit, settles in and comes good next season, and I'll get behind him and give him a chance. But I just don't think he's ever gonna be the player we hoped we were getting when we signed him. The difference maker.

I'd love to be proved wrong.

This is sort of like the Michael Keane argument; oh he needs x y and z to be good

Isn’t the idea of purchasing good players that they are normally the standout performers in a poor team. He’s been one of the worst

In

The

Bin
We always have a player who "fits" that criteria. Instead of "they should do better" a lot make excuses about how "WE should do better"

This is sort of like the Michael Keane argument; oh he needs x y and z to be good

Isn’t the idea of purchasing good players that they are normally the standout performers in a poor team. He’s been one of the worst

In

The

Bin

Especially when you buy someone for the price that I can't bring myself to type out again.

In

The

Bin
De Bruyne would look lost if he had to play in our midfield. Salah would struggle to get double figures up front for us. The issue is more than one player, we don’t seem to play with any plan. We need a strong manager who can get the best out of our players.

Plays the 99th most successful passes - Pointless stat as it doesn't account for how teams play and how many times he receives the ball.
Is 93rd in pass accuracy (ball retention) -
Ah but that is unfair Gylfi plays long, difficult passes...nope 53rd average pass length - No but he takes set pieces which are the most difficult to complete due to the bulk of defenders who are set.
34th for key passes - His key passes per pass must be one of the highest in the league.
43rd for assists - Again given how infrequently his teammates find him this is impressive. Particularly as we all know he shouldve had a few more.
66th in tackles - Meh
73rd in take ons (dribbles) - Meh
54th in aerial wins -Meh
77th in free kicks given away (I suppose that is OK, or indicates he isn't involved)
91st in free kicks won -Meh
44th in shots taken - Again with a more attack minded coach you'd expect this to rise significantly
47th in shot accuracy - Lots of shots from outside box. Misleading stat.
33rd in interceptions -Meh
31st in blocked shots - Meh
45th in clearances - Meh

There are 111 midfielders who have played more than 20 times this season.

Per 90 minutes Gylfi:

Plays the 99th most successful passes
Is 93rd in pass accuracy (ball retention)
Ah but that is unfair Gylfi plays long, difficult passes...nope 53rd average pass length
34th for key passes
43rd for assists
66th in tackles
73rd in take ons (dribbles)
54th in aerial wins
77th in free kicks given away (I suppose that is OK, or indicates he isn't involved)
91st in free kicks won
44th in shots taken
47th in shot accuracy
33rd in interceptions
31st in blocked shots
45th in clearances

That is literally every stat on Sqwaka for midfielders.
Half those stats are completely irrelevant for an attacking midfielder, but how was he before Everton in those categories? Fine, even for just this year, how is he compared to the rest of the team?

My guess is that he’s not only our best player, but our most productive player. So if he’s been outstanding statistically in the same league for years, yet he isn’t as good for Everton - yet he’s still better than everyone on Everton...what does that tell you?

De Bruyne would look lost if he had to play in our midfield. Salah would struggle to get double figures up front for us. The issue is more than one player, we don’t seem to play with any plan. We need a strong manager who can get the best out of our players.
And that’s it. So very few players can just make a difference without any support. He’s had none.

Status
Not open for further replies.