2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 111 midfielders who have played more than 20 times this season.

Per 90 minutes Gylfi:

Plays the 99th most successful passes
Is 93rd in pass accuracy (ball retention)
Ah but that is unfair Gylfi plays long, difficult passes...nope 53rd average pass length
34th for key passes
43rd for assists
66th in tackles
73rd in take ons (dribbles)
54th in aerial wins
77th in free kicks given away (I suppose that is OK, or indicates he isn't involved)
91st in free kicks won
44th in shots taken
47th in shot accuracy
33rd in interceptions
31st in blocked shots
45th in clearances

That is literally every stat on Sqwaka for midfielders.

Per 90 minutes Gylfi:

Ah but that is unfair Gylfi plays long, difficult passes...nope 53rd average pass length
34th for key passes
43rd for assists
66th in tackles
54th in aerial wins
77th in free kicks given away (I suppose that is OK, or indicates he isn't involved)
91st in free kicks won
44th in shots taken
47th in shot accuracy
33rd in interceptions
31st in blocked shots
45th in clearances

Are you saying we underpaid for him?

Per 90 minutes Gylfi:

34th for key passes
43rd for assists
66th in tackles
54th in aerial wins
91st in free kicks won
44th in shots taken
47th in shot accuracy
33rd in interceptions
31st in blocked shots
45th in clearances

Plays the 99th most successful passes - Pointless stat as it doesn't account for how teams play and how many times he receives the ball.
Is 93rd in pass accuracy (ball retention) -
Ah but that is unfair Gylfi plays long, difficult passes...nope 53rd average pass length - No but he takes set pieces which are the most difficult to complete due to the bulk of defenders who are set.
34th for key passes - His key passes per pass must be one of the highest in the league.
43rd for assists - Again given how infrequently his teammates find him this is impressive. Particularly as we all know he shouldve had a few more.
66th in tackles - Meh
73rd in take ons (dribbles) - Meh
54th in aerial wins -Meh
91st in free kicks won -Meh
44th in shots taken - Again with a more attack minded coach you'd expect this to rise significantly
47th in shot accuracy - Lots of shots from outside box. Misleading stat.
33rd in interceptions -Meh
31st in blocked shots - Meh
45th in clearances - Meh

Plays the 99th most successful passes - Pointless stat as it doesn't account for how teams play and how many times he receives the ball.
Ah but that is unfair Gylfi plays long, difficult passes...nope 53rd average pass length - No but he takes set pieces which are the most difficult to complete due to the bulk of defenders who are set.
34th for key passes - His key passes per pass must be one of the highest in the league.
43rd for assists - Again given how infrequently his teammates find him this is impressive. Particularly as we all know he shouldve had a few more.
66th in tackles - Meh
54th in aerial wins -Meh
44th in shots taken - Again with a more attack minded coach you'd expect this to rise significantly
45th in clearances - Meh
Well you've thoroughly debunked that one I think.

66th in tackles - Meh
54th in aerial wins -Meh
45th in clearances - Meh
your argument here steven - meh

Well you've thoroughly debunked that one I think.

That's not much to debunk. He's arbitrarily decided to compare him to midfielders only and only ones who have played more than 20 games for some reason.

Then he's not taken into account team tactics and pointlessly included meaningless stats.

In fact, if you know how to read stats, they actually back up the argument he's an effective and efficient user of the football. But yeah. 'shaqiri done got more assists!'

That's not much to debunk. He's arbitrarily decided to compare him to midfielders only and only ones who have played more than 20 games for some reason.

Then he's not taken into account team tactics and pointlessly included meaningless stats.

In fact, if you know how to read stats, they actually back up the argument he's an effective and efficient user of the football. But yeah. 'shaqiri done got more assists!'

£45m

I've compared him to every midfielder with a min of 20 games to make it fairer.

I've included every stat to make it fairer.

Do you want him compared to strikers or defenders? The midfielders comparison includes wide players like Zaha and Sane as well as holding players and #10s.

I've compared him with every other player so a huge variety of tactics are involved - from Burnley to Man City.

Your sole argument seems to be because he is 33rd in terms of key passes per 90 minutes, and 99th in terms of total passes that he is efficient at chance creation. I saw that a lot before we signed him and counter argued that it is better to create 2 chances a match from 100 passes (2% efficiency) than 1 from 1 (100% efficiency) because you end up with twice as many chances.

My last post on the subject as I don't want to be mean.

I'll compare two footballers.

Almost exactly the same age - the non-Icelandic is a couple of months younger.

One cost £45m, the other was free.

To make it fair I've compared them over the last 3 seasons - although I've had to exclude Gylfi's current season as I can only compare 5 seasons of data, however as none of this seasons numbers are the best it hasn't made it look worse.

In the last 3 years across every attacking metric you can compare on Junior Stanislas has been a more productive player on a per 90 minute comparison. With the exception of assists in which GS's last season for Swansea pips Junior by 0.04 of a goal every 90 minutes.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...scored/successful_take_ons/pass_completion#90

I've compared him to every midfielder with a min of 20 games to make it fairer.

I've included every stat to make it fairer.

Do you want him compared to strikers or defenders? The midfielders comparison includes wide players like Zaha and Sane as well as holding players and #10s.

I've compared him with every other player so a huge variety of tactics are involved - from Burnley to Man City.

Your sole argument seems to be because he is 33rd in terms of key passes per 90 minutes, and 99th in terms of total passes that he is efficient at chance creation. I saw that a lot before we signed him and counter argued that it is better to create 2 chances a match from 100 passes (2% efficiency) than 1 from 1 (100% efficiency) because you end up with twice as many chances.

To make it fair I've compared them over the last 3 seasons - although I've had to exclude Gylfi's current season as I can only compare 5 seasons of data, however as none of this seasons numbers are the best it hasn't made it look worse.

In the last 3 years across every attacking metric you can compare on Junior Stanislas has been a more productive player on a per 90 minute comparison. With the exception of assists in which GS's last season for Swansea pips Junior by 0.04 of a goal every 90 minutes.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...scored/successful_take_ons/pass_completion#90

Tough to watch, this.

ReimerFamilyStressed.gif

Remember the match at Bournemouth a few years back where Stanislas absolutely ripped us to shreds? I know it’s irrelevant here but you’ve dredged up some bad memories with that random comparison.

Per 90 minutes Gylfi:

34th for key passes
43rd for assists
66th in tackles
54th in aerial wins
91st in free kicks won
44th in shots taken
47th in shot accuracy
33rd in interceptions
31st in blocked shots
45th in clearances

Good Lord, wait until @RickyRyder cops a load of that.

I can`t wait for his reply, all twenty pages of it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.