2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s not playing really well but he’s doing a job out of position when we need him to cover for injuries. In that time we’ve won quite a few games, so it’s not harming us all that much relative to alternatives. How about we just get behind him for a bit?

Get behind him a bit? He's been here since 2017 mate, in that time he's showed flashes of brilliance but mostly it's been poor from him with a genuine lack of effort. If anything it's him who should be getting us back on board with top performances. It's got to work both ways, you cant just expect blind support.

I thought Sigurdsson actually played really well today. Broke a fair bit of play up, was quite aggressive off the ball, and passed the ball forward when asked. If he was a 21 year old, I would have said he was surprisingly mature for a player his age.

I don't think he has any medium term future with the club. Gbamin is now close to full fitness and you'd imagine Gomes may be back much sooner than predicted. Throw in Davies's improvement and potentially Holgate moving to midfield and I suspect he will be phased out.

Our big issue with him is we overpaid for him. Had we paid 25 million, it would be reasonable enough for him to stay as a squad player. The fee is a big problem though, as people expect miracles from him, which he won't really deliver.

I agree, I thought the lad done well central midfield role. Broke the play up a good few teams and his passing imo looked crisper than it has for a while. Agreed the price tag is a burden around his neck and for the money there is better. I'm not going to beat him with the price tag stick every week though. Today I thought he had a good game, not spectacular, but good.

Out of position? What’s that? Dropping from 10 to 8. The lad is garbage beyond comprehension. A coward, can’t pass, tackle, run, track runners, his dead balls are amyth. Truly the most shocking waste of £50m in recent history.

You think he’s playing at 8?!:Blink:

I thought Sigurdsson actually played really well today. Broke a fair bit of play up, was quite aggressive off the ball, and passed the ball forward when asked. If he was a 21 year old, I would have said he was surprisingly mature for a player his age.

I don't think he has any medium term future with the club. Gbamin is now close to full fitness and you'd imagine Gomes may be back much sooner than predicted. Throw in Davies's improvement and potentially Holgate moving to midfield and I suspect he will be phased out.

Our big issue with him is we overpaid for him. Had we paid 25 million, it would be reasonable enough for him to stay as a squad player. The fee is a big problem though, as people expect miracles from him, which he won't really deliver.

Did the bare minimum in a game we won so all is well in the world.

This is why we continue to get lumbered with frauds like this.

Doesn’t matter how averagely ok he played today against woeful opposition. He’s not quick enough to play midfield against any sort of decent opposition and everyone on here knows it. He’s not good enough, end of. This is another Michael Keane scenario ‘he wasn’t absolutely abysmal today so maybe we didn’t waste 40 million’. No, he’s one of the worst transfers in our history and is a terrible player. Not being his usual levels of atrocious against Brighton at home doesn’t change that.

Get behind him a bit? He's been here since 2017 mate, in that time he's showed flashes of brilliance but mostly it's been poor from him with a genuine lack of effort. If anything it's him who should be getting us back on board with top performances. It's got to work both ways, you cant just expect blind support.

This sort of self-harming outlook sums up a chunky minority of EFC fans (and footy fans in general) I think. Far too proud and righteous for absolutely no reason about the most minor of perceived injustices. The only thing that really matters in the game is now onwards; but you are talking about 2017!? If he’d been utterly dire in every single match and been mouthing off in the press etc. it’s perhaps understandable. But he hasn’t. And this lack of effort from him is a complete myth. It’s up there with the fitness thread. I’m not saying you have to whip out the Iceland national anthem or the HUH every home game, but just get off his back and put the energy into positively supporting someone else.

This sort of self-harming outlook sums up a chunky minority of EFC fans (and footy fans in general) I think. Far too proud and righteous for absolutely no reason about the most minor of perceived injustices. The only thing that really matters in the game is now onwards; but you are talking about 2017!? If he’d been utterly dire in every single match and been mouthing off in the press etc. it’s perhaps understandable. But he hasn’t. And this lack of effort from him is a complete myth. It’s up there with the fitness thread. I’m not saying you have to whip out the Iceland national anthem or the HUH every home game, but just get off his back and put the energy into positively supporting someone else.

No it isn’t a myth though? Actually watching our matches rather than looking at nonsense “distance covered” stats will tell you that. He has played about 100 games for us and I’d be surprised if he’d played well in 20 of them. Absolutely grim return for a £45m player.

Doesn’t matter how averagely ok he played today against woeful opposition. He’s not quick enough to play midfield against any sort of decent opposition and everyone on here knows it. He’s not good enough, end of. This is another Michael Keane scenario ‘he wasn’t absolutely abysmal today so maybe we didn’t waste 40 million’. No, he’s one of the worst transfers in our history and is a terrible player. Not being his usual levels of atrocious against Brighton at home doesn’t change that.
10000000% this.

Status
Not open for further replies.