2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s a second striker or a number ten and he‘s playing in a central midfield two.

Totally agree, I think the problem is, to play him in his best position we néed to play 5 in midfield or play Sigurdsson off DCL. But that then causes other problems. When Silva came in there ws talk he wanted Sigurdsson out but knew there was no way the club could sell him so was stuck with him. It will be interesting if Ancelotti had the same problem. At the moment we have a lot of injuries centrally so he will play. I think at home we can possibly get away with playing him in a midfield 2 as teams come and sit back but away from home his lack of pace is a big problem

Get behind him a bit? He's been here since 2017 mate, in that time he's showed flashes of brilliance but mostly it's been poor from him with a genuine lack of effort. If anything it's him who should be getting us back on board with top performances. It's got to work both ways, you cant just expect blind support.
I don’t think it’s lack of effort. Just don’t think he’s got the legs.

He’s never been particularly mobile, and with him getting on a bit he will further struggle to keep up with quicker teammates and opposition players.

He’s got a decent football brain and can hit a great shot...combine that with Walcott’s mobility and he’d be quality.

Doesn’t matter how averagely ok he played today against woeful opposition. He’s not quick enough to play midfield against any sort of decent opposition and everyone on here knows it. He’s not good enough, end of.

Totally missing the point. I suspect he himself would say he’s not quick enough to play that type of central midfield game. It’s not his game! He’s doing a job in there to cover for injuries, and the game strategy should be set such that those weaknesses are minimised. My guess is that this was the essence of the “firing back from senior players“ reported in the press after the derby. I noted that in the pre-Brighton press conference Carlo‘s answer to the suggestion of arguments in the camp post-derby was that “we” got the game strategy wrong in the second half and we didn’t try to play that way today.

Starting to think people are knowing making a bit of a strawman out of the central midfield incarnation of Gylfi to create a scapegoat, just as they have done previously with DCL, Davies and countless others in the past. That includes the “its only Brighton” argument. This whole recent run of form has largely come with Gylfi out of position in a two: Chelsea, Arsenal, Burnley, Newcastle, Brighton. That doesn’t make him Xavi, but it does suggest the criticism is misplaced and ignores both evidence and context.

Totally agree, I think the problem is, to play him in his best position we néed to play 5 in midfield or play Sigurdsson off DCL. But that then causes other problems. When Silva came in there ws talk he wanted Sigurdsson out but knew there was no way the club could sell him so was stuck with him. It will be interesting if Ancelotti had the same problem. At the moment we have a lot of injuries centrally so he will play. I think at home we can possibly get away with playing him in a midfield 2 as teams come and sit back but away from home his lack of pace is a big problem

Agreed. If Koeman had got a decent front man at the time (or believed in DCL a bit more), who knows. His delivery is great in general and is worth carrying if you want to play that way. Even now we are essentially giving away 5 or 10 goals a season by not maximising his set pieces. But he certainly wasn’t right for Silva. Remains to be seen what Ancelotti wants to do with him when everyone is fit.

I thought Sigurdsson actually played really well today. Broke a fair bit of play up, was quite aggressive off the ball, and passed the ball forward when asked. If he was a 21 year old, I would have said he was surprisingly mature for a player his age.

I don't think he has any medium term future with the club. Gbamin is now close to full fitness and you'd imagine Gomes may be back much sooner than predicted. Throw in Davies's improvement and potentially Holgate moving to midfield and I suspect he will be phased out.

Our big issue with him is we overpaid for him. Had we paid 25 million, it would be reasonable enough for him to stay as a squad player. The fee is a big problem though, as people expect miracles from him, which he won't really deliver.

He's not 21 though is he. He's 30 and has played nearly 250 top flight games in England.

I suppose its a matter of perspective, but I can only assume that by maturity, you mean him "calming things down" by playing a frustratingly simple pass back from where it came almost every time he gets the ball, or not attempting to carry or dribble the ball forward on any occasion, which, Davies did towards the end, losing it in a dangerous position.

I don't see any of this as maturity though, because he makes these same choices throughout most games and in almost every situation he finds himself in.

Possibly Davies biggest weakness would be his questionable decision making or game management, and that dribble near the end was a prime example. In that position, at that stage of the game, with the score as it was, with pressure mounting, he could have, probably should have, played a simple pass and took the sting out the game, retaining possession and frustrating the opposition. But the 1 thing you can never deny Davies of being is brave. He wanted to push forward and maybe get another goal, and in the process, lost the ball that started a potentially dangerous counter attack. This is the sort of decision making that will hopefully come with maturity.

But I don't get the feeling from Sigurdsson that this is a choice he is making for the good of the team, more that he simply does not want to take responsibility for making things happen. I'm not sure if It's cowardice, apathy, or a mix of the 2, but for a player of his status, it's alarming.

I know some people probably want to give him the benefit of the doubt today, and I've seen lots of people saying it was an improved performance from him. Well without meaning to sound facetious, he got a player rating of 2/10 last game against a reserve side. He really couldn't have done much worse.

On a similar note, in the current climate, it wouldve been interesting if we had got the penalty today to see what he would've done. Perhaps VAR did him a favour.

No it isn’t a myth though? Actually watching our matches rather than looking at nonsense “distance covered” stats will tell you that. He has played about 100 games for us and I’d be surprised if he’d played well in 20 of them. Absolutely grim return for a £45m player.

Last season he got 13 goals and 6 assists in the PL in 38 games. Contributed a goal every other game. A great return for a midfielder.

This season he has been gash.

Criticism of him is fine, and this season, is well justified, but we can’t re-write history.

"that's just not sigurdsson's game tho, you have to play to his strengths".

Remember when everyone was backing him by using that arguement? Good to see that 3+ years later it's STILL the same thing, the CLUB isn't using him correctly, not that Glyfi still hasn't done anything to show he is even a good player much less a £45m one.

I thought Sigurdsson actually played really well today. Broke a fair bit of play up, was quite aggressive off the ball, and passed the ball forward when asked. If he was a 21 year old, I would have said he was surprisingly mature for a player his age.

I don't think he has any medium term future with the club. Gbamin is now close to full fitness and you'd imagine Gomes may be back much sooner than predicted. Throw in Davies's improvement and potentially Holgate moving to midfield and I suspect he will be phased out.

Our big issue with him is we overpaid for him. Had we paid 25 million, it would be reasonable enough for him to stay as a squad player. The fee is a big problem though, as people expect miracles from him, which he won't really deliver.

If he was 21 mate we wouldnt have said it was a mature performance...he actually looked like a slow version of Jack Rodwell today, even Rodwell had the legs to go box to box whereas Gylfi looks cooked to me.

Also, as others mentioned, the 'mature' performance of just keeping it simple and chasing players back when he lost the ball...is that worth £100k? Its not.

If we punted him now we would need £20mil, maybe theres a team desperate for last seasons goals.. if in summer we need about £16mil...but hes then 31 in sept.

We need to try and sell him as soon as possible, his value is crashing.

Totally missing the point. I suspect he himself would say he’s not quick enough to play that type of central midfield game. It’s not his game! He’s doing a job in there to cover for injuries, and the game strategy should be set such that those weaknesses are minimised. My guess is that this was the essence of the “firing back from senior players“ reported in the press after the derby. I noted that in the pre-Brighton press conference Carlo‘s answer to the suggestion of arguments in the camp post-derby was that “we” got the game strategy wrong in the second half and we didn’t try to play that way today.

Starting to think people are knowing making a bit of a strawman out of the central midfield incarnation of Gylfi to create a scapegoat, just as they have done previously with DCL, Davies and countless others in the past. That includes the “its only Brighton” argument. This whole recent run of form has largely come with Gylfi out of position in a two: Chelsea, Arsenal, Burnley, Newcastle, Brighton. That doesn’t make him Xavi, but it does suggest the criticism is misplaced and ignores both evidence and context.

1: Without a goal/assist he offers nothing as a support striker.

2: His 'fans' say he should be played wide left at swansea...hes poor there as well

3: Back as a stats king as support striker his 'fans' say he should be in centre midfield...rubbish there as well.

4: Wide left at Swansea = rubbish for us. Support striker without a goal = rubbish for us. Centre mid for iceland = rubbish for us.

Hes not playing out of position...hes just not very good without the team built around him.

Hang on I take that back. @catcherintherye

You're trying to make out our worst performer is playing well. This is Esk level of posting lmao stop trying to kid the internet you're clever by posting in sentences

If he was 21 mate we wouldnt have said it was a mature performance...he actually looked like a slow version of Jack Rodwell today, even Rodwell had the legs to go box to box whereas Gylfi looks cooked to me.

Also, as others mentioned, the 'mature' performance of just keeping it simple and chasing players back when he lost the ball...is that worth £100k? Its not.

If we punted him now we would need £20mil, maybe theres a team desperate for last seasons goals.. if in summer we need about £16mil...but hes then 31 in sept.

We need to try and sell him as soon as possible, his value is crashing.

1: Without a goal/assist he offers nothing as a support striker.

2: His 'fans' say he should be played wide left at swansea...hes poor there as well

3: Back as a stats king as support striker his 'fans' say he should be in centre midfield...rubbish there as well.

4: Wide left at Swansea = rubbish for us. Support striker without a goal = rubbish for us. Centre mid for iceland = rubbish for us.

Hes not playing out of position...hes just not very good without the team built around him.

Why did you tag me in that?

Thought he did ok against a poor Brighton midfield. Actually saw him win a couple of tackles and get his shorts dirty.
End of the day we won

Status
Not open for further replies.