Goodbye Johnny Stones...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good read that @AndyC

The second half of the cup final was a key game for seeing the true potential in Stones play. I dont really view him as a defender, although that is where he plays. He is to me at least, much like Pirlo (in recent history) a footballing equivalent of a quarter back.

It will be interesting to see what Pep does with him in the side. I suspect that the direct play in the EPL will mean his typical tactical shape will shift back the way towards his own goal, so in effect the Xavi role moves back to where Busquets would be. In that case Stones would be the ideal player to sit in deep and dictate play - imo.

Good article that mate.
Sometimes we watch a player grow and then they feel to have to leave us, but it's been a privilege to watch him play. I'm sure Barnsley fans feel much the same.

Assuming he goes to City then I wish him well and hope he's a huge success. Mind you, I think if we can give him some grief when he comes back to Goodison it'll effect his game so I'll politely applaud him when his name gets read out and then do all I can ( within reason ) to unsettle the git !

He comes across as a soft touch to me. Don't think he's got enough 'grit' to make it the top and I think he'll get found out at City. He certainly won't get away with the number of mistakes he makes when he's playing under guardiola who by all accounts is a perfectionist. Hope im wrong like coz I've got nothing against the lad and wish him the best

I think Stones and Rooney are the best two players to have left Everton BEFORE their careers get motoring.

Good luck to the lad, got to look after himself. Different class to Rodwell and Lescott, for example.

Good write-up that! Although I must make mention about him not enjoying the aerial combat.

I wouldn't particularly enjoy it if I came out of an aerial challenge needing stitches in me noggin on more than one occasion. Despite that, he's competent enough in the air imo, we've certainly had worse in recent years (Disdain).

I was more thinking of "Goodbye Yellow brick road" than "Norma Jean ", certainly more appropriate !

Oh I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the yellow brick road

What do you think you'll do then
I bet that'll shoot down your plane
It'll take you a couple of vodka and tonics
To set you on your feet again

Maybe you'll get a replacement
There's plenty like me to be found..,

Be a sad day when this guy leaves, classy defender who with the right coaching on his defensive side could be a very very good player. Wish he was sticking around for our so called 'project'. Good luck to him.

.....I said a long time ago that this lad is the best CB I had seen playing for Everton and when he was establishing himself in our side I backed him @ 66-1 to get into the last World Cup squad. Had it not been for the lack of foresight from Hodgson he wouldn't have been the last one sent home from the initial squad.

I was happy when the club made a stance last summer and kept him but in hindsight it wasn't a strategy that really worked for either party. I haven't changed opinion on him and hope he goes on to be England's best, he has the ability.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Hopefully we will look back in time and realise that his transfer is for the greater good. The board would be brave though in selling him before we get at least two of our primary targets in. Fingers and toes crossed.

Last edited:
Much as I would love him to stay it's looking more and more like he is gone.

Apparently money can buy you stones

I think he's destined to be a top cb and it's a shame it wont be for us.

The only small positive is that it didn't happen last season. Bobby might have bought 4 more Niasses

Stones is a Rolls Royce of a footballer, he glides across the park when he has the ball and there isnt a single defender in my lifetime that I have seen look so composed and graceful in possession. He is already a fantastic footballer. However he is not a fantastic defender (very good but not outstanding) and when you look at things in the cold light of day with the money that we get from John we should be able to sign a better defender with more than enough change to spare. I do think that Stones should have stayed for another year and worked under Koeman whos insight in also being a world class player in the position that I believe he should play would have been invaluable to him and helped him make the jump from very good defender and excellent footballer to world class defender and one of the best players of his generation. Stones has innate ability and things that cant be coached and its those assets that make him so highly regarded. Koeman could have worked on the rough parts of his game and brought him on leaps and bounds. I genuinely hope that the move to Man City doesnt come back to haunt him because he seems a genuinely nice lad as well who has never spoken out to the media about us or played for a move a la Lescott.

I think that Stones could play midfield but I think that would be a waste of what makes him special as a defender. As good a coach as Guardiola is, I think John has made a bad decision and if John himself thinks his career should be as a cultured ball playing centre half he should be staying at the school of science.

Status
Not open for further replies.