Oh the press still hounded you
All the papers had to say
Was that John was found in the nude

Goodbye John Stones
From the young man in the 22nd row
Who sees you as something as more than sexual
More than just our Stonesy

Good and timely article. Thanks

I was at the Stadium MK on Tuesday and was excited to see him come on in the 2nd half.

At one point there were three Dons players around him.....He turned one way.....then another and finally glided away from them all. The ball was never at risk as it was never more than a few inches from his feet.

That's class that. No bitterness in your leaving, John. Just a bit wistful. But thank you for some of the classiest play I've ever seen by an Everton player.....and I watched Young in his pomp.
Disagree John Hurst had everything he could carry out a defensive header go cowards and also score goals - Stones is just a good prospect classy, but poor in the air!

Goodbye John Stones
Though I never knew you at all
You had the grace to hold yourself
While those around you crawled
They crawled out of the woodwork
And they whispered into your brain
They set you on the treadmill
And they made you change your club

And it seems to me you played your game
Like a candle in the wind
Never knowing who to pass to
When the boos set in
And I would have liked to have known you
But I was just a kid
Your candle burned out long before
Your legend ever did

Centre-back was tough
The toughest role you ever played
Goodison created a superstar
And boos were the price you paid
Even as you go
Oh the press still hounded you
All the papers had to say
Was that Johnny Stones was once a Blue

Goodbye Johnny Stones
From an old man in the Main Stand 2nd row
Who sees you as something more than sexual
More than just our Stonesy

A few minor amendments I hope you're not averse to ;)

A very good article, virtually all of which I agree with. As you say, that 2nd half performance in the semi-final is a very good marker for what he can do. That game, and Chelsea at home stand out for me. But, I'm hard pressed to think of other games last season where he reached that level.
Sure there were plenty of other matches where he did good things, but equally plenty where he did not. For me, with the right kind of CB alongside him (winning headers), he will flourish. Sadly we won't see that at Goodison (nor do we have a dominant CB!).
We must now ensure we buy in CB's suitable for th rigours of the Premier League. The bigger picture for Stones (and us) can wait for the time being.
Top effort though.

A real school of science player john stones and I would be more than patient enough to put up with the odd clanger to see the level and style of defending he shows examples of. I loved John Hurst and was brought up on stories from my dad of TG Jones who apparently was brilliantly skilful as a defender.

However his head was turned well and truly last summer and incidents during the season only made things worse. He has simply been biding his time and never actually showed much appreciation of the fans desire for him to stay, although there were a few waves to the crowd that made me think we would get through lthe drama of last summer. Don't know if he made any statements of commitment or whatever so sorry if being unfair.

Whether he will get the chance to improve on the elements of his game that are still quite far short of what is needed at the top we will see. He is not interested in Us any more imo and we need to trade so I will look forward to seeing his replacement with interest and offer that guy my support as long as he wears the RBJ and gives his all. Club and supporters gave JS massive love and support until that Spurs incident and he was not really that fussed. Everton is just a job to him and he wants a change. I won't be booing him when he returns for a new team but I will still think we were a good fit for him and he was not that bothered so goodbye and good luck. Not sure if you will follow the Rooney path to success or the Rodwell path to what might have been. Only time will tell.

With respect them mate, you possibly aren't old enough to remember Goodison massively applauding a Duncan McKenzie goal for Chelsea against Everton.
I was there that day Andy,the whole ground rose to the magic man,old Gordon Lee must have been squirming!!I don't think Dunc touched the ball the rest of the game and we won 3-2:)

Status
Not open for further replies.