Goodbye Johnny Stones...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He hasn't not been around long enough for me to make me regret his immiment departure too much, I think this is good business for us.

He will undoubtedly have a stellar career however for me will struggle to live up to the standards expected of him, as is the case with the majority if, not all of English players in his peer group. He completely lost Aguero in the air for his goal in the LC Semi-Final, at a pivotal stage in the game.

Martinez' "management" of him did not help his confidence at all but equally I found myself questioning his commitment to us at several points last season.

We can't afford to turn down a fee in this region for a player who has his heart set elsewhere. Best make good use of the proceeds and look to the future.

Stones is a Rolls Royce of a footballer, he glides across the park when he has the ball and there isnt a single defender in my lifetime that I have seen look so composed and graceful in possession. He is already a fantastic footballer. However he is not a fantastic defender (very good but not outstanding) and when you look at things in the cold light of day with the money that we get from John we should be able to sign a better defender with more than enough change to spare. I do think that Stones should have stayed for another year and worked under Koeman whos insight in also being a world class player in the position that I believe he should play would have been invaluable to him and helped him make the jump from very good defender and excellent footballer to world class defender and one of the best players of his generation. Stones has innate ability and things that cant be coached and its those assets that make him so highly regarded. Koeman could have worked on the rough parts of his game and brought him on leaps and bounds. I genuinely hope that the move to Man City doesnt come back to haunt him because he seems a genuinely nice lad as well who has never spoken out to the media about us or played for a move a la Lescott.

I think that Stones could play midfield but I think that would be a waste of what makes him special as a defender. As good a coach as Guardiola is, I think John has made a bad decision and if John himself thinks his career should be as a cultured ball playing centre half he should be staying at the school of science.

Good points.
Remember the last "blossoming, future England captain" who left us for the big bucks at the Etihad... what did become of Jack Rodwell ?

I hope it doesn't go that badly for Stonesy and apart from if/when he plays against us, I hope he does blossom.

Your point about him maybe hanging fire and trying a year under Ronald Koeman seems to have been far outweighed by the instant entry to the Champions League, the riches on offer at City, and the hype and media fawning over Guardiola... I wonder if he's ever picked the 'phone up and called Jack for his view on being a small fish in a big pond at City ?

Good points.
Remember the last "blossoming, future England captain" who left us for the big bucks at the Etihad... what did become of Jack Rodwell ?

I hope it doesn't go that badly for Stonesy and apart from if/when he plays against us, I hope he does blossom.

Your point about him maybe hanging fire and trying a year under Ronald Koeman seems to have been far outweighed by the instant entry to the Champions League, the riches on offer at City, and the hype and media fawning over Guardiola... I wonder if he's ever picked the 'phone up and called Jack for his view on being a small fish in a big pond at City ?

"Hope it does'nt go that badly# ? If he goes he can burn in the same fire as Rodwell, Lescott and Fellaini. I don't care. The club is bigger than ANY player.

"Hope it does'nt go that badly# ? If he goes he can burn in the same fire as Rodwell, Lescott and Fellaini. I don't care. The club is bigger than ANY player.

Would you add the likes of Joe Royle, Alan Ball, Howard Kendall, Trevor Steven and Gary Stevens to the fire as well... think you might get one or two arguments from some on here.

Id do a Dier on him on and have him in midfield but as a centre half im not to pushed hes going.

Big shout out for David Moyes though maybe his last gift to us, we have our issues with him but he could pick a player.

Be an interesting analysis to look at the net value of all the players he signed for the club.

If my memory serves me correctly, we nicked in at the last, he was all set for Wigan and Martinez. However, it was indeed a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.