Goats squad analysis thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holgate is not going to make it as a centre half. He might as a right back. But probably isn't currently any better than Kenny. I'd be minded to sell him if we get a decent offer.

I would look to sell or release the following....

Stekelenburg
Holgate
Connolly
Galloway
Garbutt
Robinson
Martina
Williams A
Pennington
Jagielka
Besic
Schneiderlein
Williams J
Mccarthy
Bolasie
Sandro
Mirallas
Lookman
Tarashaj
Tosun
Niasse

I haven't made my mind up on Onyekuru, Vlasic or Kieran Dowell. Holgate possibly too. Lookman ideally I'd like to keep but I just don't think it's going to happen for him here. He's a sell-able asset and there's no point keeping him not to play him.

I would offer Baines a new contract for next season. He's a capable deputy and I don't see Robinson ever being good enough.

Obviously we won't get rid of all those players. It's an impossible and thankless task. Its frightening to look at that list and the amount of deadwood.

GK: Pickford - Stekelenburg/new signing - Virginia
RB: Coleman/new signing - Holgate/Kenny
RCB: Keane - Feeney/Jagielka
LCB: Mina - Zouma/new signing
LB: Digne - Baines/Robinson
DM: Gana/new signing - McCarthy/Schneiderlin/new signing
CM: Gomes/new signing - Davies - Dowell/Williams/Connolly
AM: Sigurdsson - Vlasic
RW: Richarlison - Lookman
ST: new signing - DCL - Tosun/new signing?
LW: Bernard - Onyekuru

So for me we need:
Centre half (Zouma)
Central midfielder (Gomes)
Striker (Leao/Schick/Haller)
possibly selling Coleman, while buying his replacement (Lazaro)
possibly selling Gana, while buying his replacement (Sangare)
possibly buying a replacement for McCarthy and Schneiderlin if we are able to get rid of them (Billing)
and then making all the decisions on Baines and Jagielka - if Feeney and Robinson are ready, then release them after a testimonial
bring back Vlasic and Onyekuru
give chances during the summer to young players like Kieran Dowell, Joe Williams and Callum Connolly and check if they could play a role here
decide between Holgate and Kenny who to keep here as right back backup
decide if we give another chance to Tosun and if we possibly replace him with another signing to have enough depth (a free agent like Welbeck?)
decide if Stekelenburg is good enough to push Pickford, possibly look to buy a better backup (Woodman?)
get rid of all others not mentioned here

So looks like 3 to 8 signings with additional loan returns.

GK. I would keep as it is apart from I would have Virginia as substitute and playing in League Cup. Stekelenburg would be 3rd choice.

RB. Coleman has improved enough over the last couple of games that this situation could maybe be left for another season. Kenny is good enough as back up so nothing doing here either.

LB. Digne is absolutely nailed on. I would release Baines and bring in someone to keep Digne on his toes. If Robinson does well in pre season maybe he could be the back up and there would be no need to buy anyone.

CB. Mina and Keane would be competing for one place I would bring in a left footer to play alongside and Holgate would be 4th choice. Jagielka would be released and although Zouma has done well I always worry he has a howler in him. Pennington is not quite good enough for this level.

DCM. I would sell all 3 of Gueye, Schneiderlin and McCarthy. I would bring someone in with more Schneiderlin skillset but not the attitude. I would have Joe Williams as back up.

CM. Make Gomes permanent and bring in someone who can cover both CM and DCM. Davies could do with a loan where he can play week in week out.

RW/LW. Richarlison is best player on either side. I would also keep Lookman as back up. Onyekuru if he gets a work permit. I would also buy a left footed option. Walcott I can't decide whether to keep or sell.

ACM. Bernard would be my first choice with Vlasic as back up. If enough space keep Dowell as well. Sigurdsson would ve sold but if we don't manage to I think its the end for Vlasic.

ST. Need a new first choice but DCL fine as cover and substitute. Onyekuru and Richarlison can also play here so would sell both Tosun and Niasse.

Quick summary definite signings LCB, DCM, Gomes, CM, Left footed winger, ST. (6) Possible signings LB. (1)
Outs everyone not mentioned above although if they are young like Baningime and Feeney I would be sending on loan.

Being pragmatic here.

Defo In:- Zouma, Gomes and a starting striker. This would cost around £90m. Plus another 1-2 loans on deadline day...possibly a DM/CM.

A starting DM/CM if Gana is sold to PSG. Just can’t see bringing in another expensive starting CM along with Gomes if Gana stays.

Not a necessity at this time. It would be great if we can sign an utility full-back as competition for Digne and Coleman. If not Kenny and Robinson (is he good enough?) as back-up?

I can see Tosun and Schneiderlin being kept on as back-up or there is a chance they would be loaned out. One or two incoming loans will depend on their situation.

Lookman may leave to fund deals elsewhere.

There is a long list of deadwood this club may look to get rid (see below).

The squad:-

Goalkeeper: Pickford, Stekelenburg, Virgínia

Right-back: Coleman, Kenny

Left-back: Digne, Robinson

Center-back: Holgate, Keane, Zouma, Mina

Defensive midfielder: Gana, Schneiderlin, New DM/CM (loan).

Central midfielder: Gomes, Davies

Attacking midfielder: Sigurðsson, Vlašić

Winger: Walcott, Bernard, Onyekuru, Richarlison, Lookman

Striker: A starting CF, Tosun, Calvert-Lewin

Off:-

Released (contract expired) : Baines, A Williams, Jagielka.

Obligation to buy: Martina (Feyenoord).

Option to buy: Mirallas (Fiorentina), Tarashaj (Grasshoppers).

Likely to leave: Bešić (Boro).

Looking to sell: Bolasie, Sandro, McCarthy, Niasse, J Williams, Pennington, Galloway, Garbutt.

Probably get another loan: Dowell, Baningime, Connolly.

Being pragmatic here.

Defo In:- Zouma, Gomes and a starting striker. This would cost around £90m. Plus another 1-2 loans on deadline day...possibly a DM/CM.

A starting DM/CM if Gana is sold to PSG. Just can’t see bringing in another expensive starting CM along with Gomes if Gana stays.

Not a necessity at this time. It would be great if we can sign an utility full-back as competition for Digne and Coleman. If not Kenny and Robinson (is he good enough?) as back-up?

I can see Tosun and Schneiderlin being kept on as back-up or there is a chance they would be loaned out. One or two incoming loans will depend on their situation.

Lookman may leave to fund deals elsewhere.

There is a long list of deadwood this club may look to get rid (see below).

The squad:-

Goalkeeper: Pickford, Stekelenburg, Virgínia

Right-back: Coleman, Kenny

Left-back: Digne, Robinson

Center-back: Holgate, Keane, Zouma, Mina

Defensive midfielder: Gana, Schneiderlin, New DM/CM (loan).

Central midfielder: Gomes, Davies

Attacking midfielder: Sigurðsson, Vlašić

Winger: Walcott, Bernard, Onyekuru, Richarlison, Lookman

Striker: A starting CF, Tosun, Calvert-Lewin

Off:-

Released (contract expired) : Baines, A Williams, Jagielka.

Obligation to buy: Martina (Feyenoord).

Option to buy: Mirallas (Fiorentina), Tarashaj (Grasshoppers).

Likely to leave: Bešić (Boro).

Looking to sell: Bolasie, Sandro, McCarthy, Niasse, J Williams, Pennington, Galloway, Garbutt.

Probably get another loan: Dowell, Baningime, Connolly.

Martina is an option to buy.

Would people be disapppnted if we lined up next season with Bernard, DCL & Rich up top if we prioritise elsewhere in the market? Think it’s a really effective blend.
No but you need more than one capable central striker in a squad. Arguably you need three or four I don't see Tosun having the physicality or pace for this league.Maybe Henry could be tried there but we definitely need at least a new number nine for DCL to work with and rotate with.

Status
Not open for further replies.