Current Affairs General US politics (ie, not POTUS related)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this leads to some follow up prosecutions.
A judge ruled Thursday that federal prosecutors — among them, U.S. Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta — broke federal law when they signed a plea agreement with a wealthy, politically connected sex trafficker and concealed it from more than 30 of his underage victims.
U.S. District Judge Kenneth A. Marra, in a 33-page opinion, said that the evidence he reviewed showed that Jeffrey Epstein had been operating an international sex operation in which he and others recruited underage girls — not only in Florida — but from overseas, in violation of federal law.
“Epstein used paid employees to find and bring minor girls to him.,’’ wrote Marra, who is based in Palm Beach County. “Epstein worked in concert with others to obtain minors not only for his own sexual gratification, but also for the sexual gratification of others.’’
Instead of prosecuting Epstein under federal sex trafficking laws, Acosta, then the U.S. attorney in Miami, helped negotiate a non-prosecution agreement that gave Epstein and his co-conspirators immunity from federal prosecution. Epstein, who lived in a Palm Beach mansion, was allowed to quietly plead guilty in state court to two prostitution charges and served just 13 months in the county jail. His accomplices, some of whom have never been identified, were never charged.
Acosta agreed to seal the deal, which meant that none of Epstein’s victims, who were mostly 13 to 16 years old at the time of the abuse, were told about it until it was too late for them to appear at his sentencing and possibly reject the deal. Upon learning that Epstein had pleaded guilty without their knowledge, two of his victims filed a lawsuit in the Southern District of Florida in 2008, claiming that prosecutors violated the Crime Victims’ Rights Act, which grants victims of federal crimes a series of rights, including the ability to confer with prosecutors about a possible plea deal.
 
Total about-face for Harris.
He's been adamant that the vote difference (900) was large enough the absentee ballots wouldn't change results so he should be seated regardless.
If he's calling for a new election, he's admitting there was wrongdoing on his part.
'You caught me cheating, lets have a re run' isn't how this should work. He shoudn't run again.
 
It's so nice to be away from my (adopted) home state for awhile. Crazy how racist it can be at times.

I was born there...I can't imagine how I woulda turned out if we didn't move when I was 5 to the Seattle area.

Going further we moved to the southern part of San Diego when I was 12. What an awesome and eye opening experience when you go to class with and become friends with a melting pot of friends. Life changing at such a young age.

Moving back home (Seattle area), when I was 14 was also eye opening. I never saw the racism like I did before. It's like Seattle was living a decade behind back in the early to mid 80's.

Not sure exactly how it happened, but Seattle somehow did a leap at some point and time warped about a decade or more.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome

Join the Everton conversation today.
Fewer ads, full access, completely free.

🛒 Visit Shop

Support Grand Old Team by checking out our latest Everton gear!
Back
Top