Transfer Rumour Gabriel (Lille)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keane has done ok but we let in quite a few goals over the last couple of games. And let’s not forget Southampton should have scored a few as well.

keane only suits a defend deep type system. And Ancelotti will not want that to be the shape moving forward. You can’t just concede possession to teams and hope to succeed.

even Leicester and southampton had
a lot more possession, which is shocking. Ok the awful midfield doesn’t help.

The money situation who knows, but if we buy Gabriel he will start. Ancelotti was furious how poor the back line was under pressure v Liverpool’s kids. And Keane isn’t great. Mina and holgate better but not amazing. Coleman atrocious.
And the league becoming more of a pressing league you need defenders that can cope.
Mate, if you had put our midfield in front of Liverpool’s defence they would have conceded three times the goals and created far less chances. Our midfield did absolutely nothing to protect our defence whenever we were under the cosh, nothing whatsoever. No defence, no matter how solid, can stand firm under constant onslaught.

United written all over it for me mate, Ole said they need a left footed centre back, and his people have been at Carrington. Think if he was coming here, we’d have heard something more solid since the season ending

On the plus side, reckon we’ve got an agreement in place with Barca for Todibo, that’ll get done pretty quickly if/when Gabby goes elsewhere
I can say with good confidence that all the stories in the Spanish press about Todibo had very little factual basis, they were all planted by Barça trying to drum up interest

Mate, if you had put our midfield in front of Liverpool’s defence they would have conceded three times the goals and created far less chances. Our midfield did absolutely nothing to protect our defence whenever we were under the cosh, nothing whatsoever. No defence, no matter how solid, can stand firm under constant onslaught.
I’ve mentioned the midfield and how poor it is. But In 3yrs I’ve seen enough of Keane to know he’s not good enough, especially when he’s trying to defend higher up the pitch.

Add In Coleman, who finds the touch line more than he finds a blue shirt. And it’s a huge issue. And needs to be sorted this summer.

Speculations, speculations...

What do we know? Everton interested in signing Gabriel back i February?

A lot have changed since then. Heck, the entire world has changed.

Holgate kept improving throughout the season. Ancelotti seems to like Keane and he looks almost like a new player. Branthwaite came in and did a lot better than anyone could hope or expect. The need for a new CD is not the same as it was back in February. There is no reason to believe that Gabriel would be a definite starter if he came in.

Since February the club have sold Schneiderlin. While none of the current midfielders have showed much promise. Gbamin with new injury keeping him out. The need for a new midfielder seems more important now. You could argue that the club should drop getting a CD and spend the money on two new midfielders.

Post Covid the market for players without contract have become more interesting. And we are likely to see more good players going out on loan than ever before. We can expect more interesting short term options. To wrap up the transfer business early can be a big mistake this summer.

Everton are likely to have less money available for transfers than what was anticipated back in February. Gabriel in for £25M to improve the squad could be a great option back then. Not so sure it is today. This does not feel like a summer where you should pay +20 million for anything but certain starters.

Stands to reason you would know all about recruitment.

I’ve mentioned the midfield and how poor it is. But In 3yrs I’ve seen enough of Keane to know he’s not good enough, especially when he’s trying to defend higher up the pitch.

Add In Coleman, who finds the touch line more than he finds a blue shirt. And it’s a huge issue. And needs to be sorted this summer.
I agree with Keane and Coleman
But if money is tight and let's hope it's not midfield and at least 2 new midfielders must b the priority.
If we go into the new season with the same midfield we will be in relegation trouble.
The defence as it is won't be good enough for some teams but that defence and a new midfield will at least finish in the top of the table
Not great but then we build on that year on year

Midfield has to be the priority, Keane and Mina aren't great but if we had a midfield then we'd definitely have got top 8 this season. Dont see the need for an argument over it really, just because Midfield has to be a priority doesn't mean we cant improve the defence as well.

I have faith*

*Faith that will inevitably turn into utter despair come November.

So we have met the player, he has toured Finch Farm, had multiple medicals and salary agreed but Lille trying to get a better price than the £25/30m we have offered or Everton have tried to renegotiate the agreed pre-Covid price.

So far:
Man United - Sancho deal seems to be priority plus they are looking for a centre back.
Arsenal - Rumoured to "outbid" Everton but signed up 2 centre backs already.
Napoli - they have spent 70-odd million on a striker and need to sell Koulibaly to re-coup the cash.

We are in a stand off and I hope we could just bid, buy and be done but with Lille and Covid it isn't as straight forward.

So we have met the player, he has toured Finch Farm, had multiple medicals and salary agreed but Lille trying to get a better price than the £25/30m we have offered or Everton have tried to renegotiate the agreed pre-Covid price.

So far:
Man United - Sancho deal seems to be priority plus they are looking for a centre back.
Arsenal - Rumoured to "outbid" Everton but signed up 2 centre backs already.
Napoli - they have spent 70-odd million on a striker and need to sell Koulibaly to re-coup the cash.

We are in a stand off and I hope we could just bid, buy and be done but with Lille and Covid it isn't as straight forward.
if reports of us trying to renegotiate due to Covid are correct then fair play. I still don't think CB is a priority (unless one of Mina or Keane are going). We always moan about classic Everton over paying or bowing down to other teams it's nice to see us stand our ground.

if reports of us trying to renegotiate due to Covid are correct then fair play. I still don't think CB is a priority (unless one of Mina or Keane are going). We always moan about classic Everton over paying or bowing down to other teams it's nice to see us stand our ground.

We really are damned if we do and damned if we don't with some people

It's not as big as issue as CM, RW or RB.

We've needed a left sided CB for years though, and I imagine getting this done allows us to send Gibson and/or Branthwaite out on loan and possibly punt one of Keane/Mina.

Status
Not open for further replies.