2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no way he genuinely wanted to give those players a chance last night. He effectively just threw the game, I don't think there's any doubt about that. If we win on Saturday then maybe it can go down as the right decision. I don't see any point pretending the players let him down or whatever, he knew what he was doing.
Not even close to true or accurate. He literally said post-game it was about giving senior, well-paid players like Mina/Dacs/Keane/Holgate/Davies the chance to get minutes and show why they should be in the starting 11 every week. Now everyone knows why FL doesn't favour them.

And why on earth would FL, a manager who is well aware he is under pressure, want to "throw" a match when it could lead to his sacking?? If that was the plan, he'd have played a bunch of 15 year old academy kids with Maupey in goal. The guy has won everything as a player, and wants to be a successful manager, so he's not deliberating throwing a match is he.

Doesn't matter what manager we have, no one is getting enough goals from that first team squad in any case.

May as well stick with FL and find him the cash he needs to get a couple of attackers in January.

The midfield purchases were not as good as we'd all thought, but are good enough if they have a strikeforce ahead of them that can show for a pass - the absence of which is mostly why their distribution is awful right now; the defence is easily good enough for a bottom half team like us, and the GK is an asset (mostly).

Just get those attackers in EARLY January and pick up the necessary points to survive. We can think about managerial changes (if need be) when we get 40 points.

he knows his job is on the line and is trying to get fans on his side against the players.

I said it months back he's played our fanbase like a fiddle since he arrived fair play to him.

A cockney Tory considered "one of us" by a largely scouse/northern fanbase for taking the club from 16th to 16th in half a season and 14 games into this season still being sat in 16th.

I don't think any manager in his position, would willingly throw a game at a time like this.. it could very easily be the difference between having a job and being unemployed.
I don't mean he threw it as in he actively wanted to lose, but surely you don't think he put that team out because he thought it was the best team to get a result? He made ELEVEN changes. He changed the formation just so that he could throw all the players in that he wanted to get on to the pitch. I'm not defending the players but that isn't 'giving them a chance'; putting a few players into the normal team is giving people a chance, throwing a completely different team out with none of the players who've improved the squad since last year isn't. Either he put the team out knowing that there was a very good chance of it failing but he thought it was the right thing to do anyway, or he's an absolute 24 carat idiot who should be relieved of his duties immediately for not being able to see that a team which has failed to win games like that repeatedly over a number of years wasn't suddenly going to transform into a different animal . For me it's fairly clearly the former, if you think it's the latter then that's even worse.

What does it achieve though? It doesn't look like management to me. If I was one of those players I'd be thinking 'Hang on, I've gotten worse under this fella', he is like the anti- Ancelotti.
I think it was more about FL making the public statement that some of these players are simply not good enough, instead of giving the usual, generic TV answers most managers do. He's no fool, he knows he's under pressure, and if I was one of those players I'd be thinking 'I've just blown any chance of forcing my way into this side' not 'no biggie, the manager will cover me'.

Mourinho would burn what’s left of this toxic club to the ground.

It’s never a bad idea to get a world class manager. Never. If the worst does happen with Lampard and he is remotely available we should be all over it. There’s nothing left to burn at this club, everything is on fire anyway, may as well have someone who can handle the heat.

I think it was more about FL making the public statement that some of these players are simply not good enough, instead of giving the usual, generic TV answers most managers do. He's no fool, he knows he's under pressure, and if I was one of those players I'd be thinking 'I've just blown any chance of forcing my way into this side' not 'no biggie, the manager will cover me'.
We know they aren't good enough. Why is he trying to show us again? Why have we been going on about a 'rebuild' if we didn't know they were crap?

I hear the comments re. the fans panic too much when in reality it is Everton themselves who panic. Sacrificing a Caraboa Cup berth when we are ony 3 or 4 points from mid table with the majority of the season remaining is daft. At this point in the season we should be going full strength in every competitive match, we are not good enough to field a second 11 that is even capable of doing well in league 1. We'd be in the competition still if we'd done so. Now we're out and face their first 11 at the weekend. Playing with fire.

It’s never a bad idea to get a world class manager. Never. If the worst does happen with Lampard and he is remotely available we should be all over it. There’s nothing left to burn at this club, everything is on fire anyway, may as well have someone who can handle the heat.

I agree, but it is no longer 2010 unfortunately.

Not even close to true or accurate. He literally said post-game it was about giving senior, well-paid players like Mina/Dacs/Keane/Holgate/Davies the chance to get minutes and show why they should be in the starting 11 every week. Now everyone knows why FL doesn't favour them.

And why on earth would FL, a manager who is well aware he is under pressure, want to "throw" a match when it could lead to his sacking?? If that was the plan, he'd have played a bunch of 15 year old academy kids with Maupey in goal. The guy has won everything as a player, and wants to be a successful manager, so he's not deliberating throwing a match is he.
I've already answered this but again I think you'd have to be very hard of thinking to believe he really thought that team was the best team available to him last night. He played a load of players who he doesn't even normally bring off the bench, he didn't do it because he wanted to give them a chance, he did it because he wanted to rest everybody for saturday. If we win on saturday then he can say it was a good plan and personally i'll probably agree. I have no issue with him making the changes, but it's disingenuous to pretend he really thought - 37 games into his tenure - that Michael Keane might have a part to play for us in future, only to realise after one more defeat that no he definitely doesn't.

*Also 'effectively' throwing a match, and 'deliberately' throwing a match are not the same thing, for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.