2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we moved Lampard out and Zidane in.

Would he magically pass on his powers to Maupay?

Really need to stick with the setup we have and allow it to develop.

I really dont see the issue with last night.

Posted a few pages back my thoughts on him using the game for several reasons, not least to showcase the dross.

Now Thelwell has until the window to line up sales and incomings.

Yes.

Tuchel replaced Lampard and achieved champs league success for 2nd half a season -- Lampard saved us from relegation.

Aside from that half season, what success did Tuchel have over Lampard at Chelsea?

Also what did he achieve at PSG which was groundbreaking?

Do you like his formation?

Same as the above post i made to you...can he magically turn Maupay into a goal threat or Gray into a assist machine?

Exactly...were seeing the same with Lampard.

I am astonished. Absolutely astonished at the sheer amount of nonsense you’ve managed to fit into one post.

Doesn't matter what manager we have, no one is getting enough goals from that first team squad in any case.

May as well stick with FL and find him the cash he needs to get a couple of attackers in January.

The midfield purchases were not as good as we'd all thought, but are good enough if they have a strikeforce ahead of them that can show for a pass - the absence of which is mostly why their distribution is awful right now; the defence is easily good enough for a bottom half team like us, and the GK is an asset (mostly).

Just get those attackers in EARLY January and pick up the necessary points to survive. We can think about managerial changes (if need be) when we get 40 points.

This has to be the sensible way forward. The back 5 are functioning well enough that we don’t need to panic as much as last season. There’s enough options in midfield as well to find a balance that works (Iwobi will assist if he’s in the right position with players giving him options).

We just have a pop gun attack, no two ways about it. Spend big in January or we’ll be paying in May regardless of the manager.

Franks gotta follow up on his post match comments and not even pick Keane, Mina, Holgate or Davies in the match day squad for Saturday and going forward - they should be done and if he didn’t know it before last night, he should clearly know it now. Give the kids he was talking up a chance to show what they can do.

If the usual wage thieves are in the squad come Saturday, he’s not even listening to himself so why should the players listen to him?

Thats true - unless he has no choice. Does he need to get Godfrey, Brainthwaite, Gibson, Dobbin, people like that before he can promote them?

We know they aren't good enough. Why is he trying to show us again? Why have we been going on about a 'rebuild' if we didn't know they were crap?
It was not a message to the fans. The fans know what these players are like. If anything it's an under pressure manager saying the the board/owner/DOF how extensive the 'rebuild' needs to go and be, and how long it will take when these rubbish, uncaring lot are the back up options.

I agree, but it is no longer 2010 unfortunately.

PL title and league cup double winner 2015
Europa league and league cup double winner 2017
FA cup finalist 2019
League cup finalist 2021 (didn’t get chance to play it)
Europa Conference league winner - 2022

Not bad for a bloke who was finished in 2010.

I've already answered this but again I think you'd have to be very hard of thinking to believe he really thought that team was the best team available to him last night. He played a load of players who he doesn't even normally bring off the bench, he didn't do it because he wanted to give them a chance, he did it because he wanted to rest everybody for saturday. If we win on saturday then he can say it was a good plan and personally i'll probably agree. I have no issue with him making the changes, but it's disingenuous to pretend he really thought - 37 games into his tenure - that Michael Keane might have a part to play for us in future, only to realise after one more defeat that no he definitely doesn't.

*Also 'effectively' throwing a match, and 'deliberately' throwing a match are not the same thing, for future reference.
There's no doubt Saturday is the priority, that is perfectly clear from the 11 changes; but I can understand why those highly paid squad players were given minutes when most of them have been sitting on the bench all season wanting game time. It's not like we were playing Madrid, the team out there was capable of taking on Bournemouth's reserves - Davies and Gordon take their chances instead of missing sitters and the game is neither effectively or deliberately 'thrown'. Win on Saturday, suddenly most people wont care about the EFL cup.

PL title and league cup double winner 2015
Europa league and league cup double winner 2017
FA cup finalist 2019
League cup finalist 2021 (didn’t get chance to play it)
Europa Conference league winner - 2022

Not bad for a bloke who was finished in 2010.

Is there a reason you haven’t included the clubs for context? Because the only one that’s impressive there is the 2015 league title considering the level of club and the squads he had at his disposal (and money he spent to achieve it)

What honestly makes you believe he’d do anything at a dreadful relegation-battling Everton with Dwight McNeil as a first teamer? Apart from become severely pissed off and cause chaos off the back of it?

Thats true - unless he has no choice. Does he need to get Godfrey, Brainthwaite, Gibson, Dobbin, people like that before he can promote them?
There’s always a choice though, even with those players you mention out on loan.

If we can recall them we should and just let wasters rot with their stupid contracts training on their own, if they won’t leave to play football. Last night should be their last appearance in royal blue.

If we can’t recall the lads on loan, I’d take a Stanley mills or a welch in the squad over holgate and Keane this second.

There's no way he genuinely wanted to give those players a chance last night. He effectively just threw the game, I don't think there's any doubt about that. If we win on Saturday then maybe it can go down as the right decision. I don't see any point pretending the players let him down or whatever, he knew what he was doing.

Don't know if id agree with you there mate.

It was not a message to the fans. The fans know what these players are like. If anything it's an under pressure manager saying the the board/owner/DOF how extensive the 'rebuild' needs to go and be, and how long it will take when these rubbish, uncaring lot are the back up options.
Ah right. So losing to Bournemouth 4-1 before we play them again on Saturday was a 'message'. Seems a bit daft when we are a team in dire need of some confidence.

There's no doubt Saturday is the priority, that is perfectly clear from the 11 changes; but I can understand why those highly paid squad players were given minutes when most of them have been sitting on the bench all season wanting game time. It's not like we were playing Madrid, the team out there was capable of taking on Bournemouth's reserves - Davies and Gordon take their chances instead of missing sitters and the game is neither effectively or deliberately 'thrown'. Win on Saturday, suddenly most people wont care about the EFL cup.
I think you're getting hung up about the use of the word 'thrown'. In context, I was replying to someone who was saying 'well now he knows who he can trust' by saying he already knew that. He picked players he knows he can't trust, and doesn't trust (hence him not picking them in the first place). He wanted to make loads of changes to rest players, and in order to do that he had to pick the players he did. It's fine, as i've already said, if we win on saturday i'll agree with his decision. I just don't think he really expected any different though. His comments after the game weren't him saying 'I'm really surprised because these are really good players who are an important part of my squad and I just don't understand what happened there', it was him saying 'some of these jokers have had the cheek to tell me they think they should be playing, well that's why they aren't'.

Edit - I've just noticed you've argued above that he was sending a message to the board by picking this team, which kind of goes directly against what you've been saying to me, so i'm a little confused.

I can see the argument to give some of the players a game to keep morale in the squad up but winning football matches is the best way to keep everyone happy.

I just don't understand why you'd rotate that much, especially with the world cup arriving soon.

Man City use a core of around 15, even though they have thd added midweek champions league games. And it doesn't affect them.

Football is all about momentum and getting smashed 4-1 isn't going to help our chances on Saturday at all. Ridiculous team selection for tonight. Hope he gets some proper questioning on it.
Bit of a gap in quality between City's core and ours. Then there's their bench with hundreds of millions and ours with Davies, Dacs, Keane and Rondon. The side put out should not have been rolled over by Bournemouth second string, but clearly it was about keeping the first 11 fresh for "the big one" at the weekend.

A big part of it is that we don't create many chances, so a lot of them kind of come out of the blue from a mistake or whatever, and players snatch at them because they were unexpected and/or they know we only get one.

Genreally speaking though, the teams we're playing tend to have many more chances in games than we do, so just isolating our misses and not taking into account the fact the opposition could have scored more too doesn't really add anything to the analysis of the situation.

So chances just fall into our lap and we miss them? Come on.

Why should I take into consideration the opposition could've scored more? Even then you have to look into the big chances they've created and not how many shots we let them have.

Our conversation rate (8.1) is almost equal to the RS (8.7). Their shots are 289 compared to our 135. We've had more shots than Chelsea so far this but their conversion rate is 12.7.

So it doesn't matter how many shots you have, it's how many you put away. And funny enough...both the RS and Chelsea have conceded more than us

Stat wars for you

Status
Not open for further replies.