2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it depends what you mean by coach really. I think the biggest criticism of Lampard is probably his tactical acumen, which is something you would expect a good coach to offer. People have got carried away with the idea that we just need a new attacker and everything will be fine, but that just ignores the fact that we have to find a way to get them the ball and they need options when they get it. People talk about as if everything's fine until we go to put the ball in the net and then it doesn't happen but that couldn't be further from the truth. We really struggle to progress the ball forward, we don't create good opportunities, the balance between attack and defence is way off. That's what's concerning me the most about Lampard at the moment, I'm not entirely sure what it is he's trying to do or how he's trying to do it. After nearly a full season of games that's not ideal.

Whilst I mostly agree with what you’re saying, there is something about the actual quality of the players themselves that help with all these things. Even the very top players in the very top teams, Barcelona struggled more (relatively) on feeding their forward players when Iniesta was out. Zidane tranformed one of the most negative French teams in 2006 into one that made the final. Allegri looks like a tactical novice without Pirlo dictating his game from midifeld.

Now I’m not staying Everton can drop a world class player into the team and suddenly everything is going to be alright but we all know the impact that a creative attacking player can have on improving everyone around them. They take a bad ball in a tight space, beat a man, and suddenly the game is opening up and everyone is responding to that.

If we just buy a target man to replace Calvert Lewin then yes not much will change, but if we could get a couple of attacking players (maybe a wide forward who can score and create) and a central striker who can also involve themselves in the build up, then things could change quickly despite the coaching.

The buys have got to be right though. For example if we dropped prime Yakubu and Pienaar into this team the improvement would be massive regardless of what Lampard was coaching them. Equally if we just swap out Calvert Lewin for a Jelavic or Tosun type we’re not going to see much difference.

It's worrying - same tactics different players passing it backwards instead of forwards - we made them look like world beaters & it was their reserves ....
Our players are not good enough to do this.

Man City, Arsenal yes, Everton no.

All we do, is pass it back and back, then eventually to the keeper who then hoofs it forward.

Might as well just do that from the get-go and try to win the second ball.

I think Frank has reinforced the defence and defensive midfield areas because it was the only thing we could afford and would buy time for the next window. Yes we are not creative, but creativity costs a lot more than defensive solidity. We need to remember where we were financially and the state the FSW left us in.
Awkwardly using the ‘turning an oil tanker’ analogy but it’s going to take a few windows to fix this squad, better stick on this plan than rip it up and start another time with another carousel ‘top manager’. Again Chelsea just sacked Tuchel and brought in a squad builder, as with Arsenal, United etc, even Eddie Howe is the same. We’re not that attractive and the job is as difficult as any.

Wrong type of football for Everton apparently. The forum decided he was a dinosaur and we needed progressive young Frank until all of about 35 games later and they’ve low decided Lampard is also a tactically limited defensive dinosaur.

He is on film telling Dele what will happen to him, (Danny rose too who can't get a club).

United signing players they don't suit including calling Pogba a virus.

Goes to Roma and wins a European trophy and has their best record.

He didn't put us through any havoc, Moshiri did, besides since Frank is doing a worse job it's a bit foolish to still be moaning about him.
Not foolish at all to address the carnage inflicted by the Stain to put in context what Lampard is trying to redress. Thelwell and Lampard have got us to the point of needing 2 additions to the forward line and then we will be a basic yet competent mid table outfit. It’s a clear path forward from the self inflicted disaster of last season and I have faith in Lampard/Thelwell to see it through.

You really do have to question the mindset of the manager and his many coaches who see the standard of these players and how they function together on a daily basis . Yet... he still thinks its OK to not only play them when it's unnecessary, but also worse still, lump the bloody lot of 'em together in one side. Madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.