FAVOURITISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he dropped Robles to protect his confidence. Howard is a seasoned professional, if he conceded 4 at the bridge it wouldn't affect him. If that happened to Robles it could really shake him.

It is all ifs and buts, but what if robles pulled of some great saves yesterday and we held on to get a draw it would have done his confidence the world of good too

The manager sees the players every day in training. He decides who is likely to do the best in the match. Howard did well last night. What's the problem?

Goalkeeper is the hardest position to judge whether a player from a foriegn league can adapt to the physical nature of the premiership, as Utd found over the years under Ferguson paying a lot of money for someone who looks good in another league means nothing if the can't cope with the pressure and physical battering goalkeepers in thus league receive.

Is that really true though? Part of the issue that Ferguson had was that he was signing keepers that looked good for teams in that they had been busy in. United needed a keeper that could keep concentration during the game when they'd go long periods inactive.

That's what he meant when he signed Van Der Sar, because he'd always played in those kind of teams and was mentally strong enough to retain concentration and performance regardless of how much he had to do in a game.

Even in our league keepers are the most protected player on the pitch outside of Eden Hazard and raheem sterling. You could argue there are more crosses in this league than others, but given we rarely cross these days and Moyes has gone to sunnier shores, is that still true?

I think strikers and midfielders are the hardest positions to judge physically, because you have to make an educated decision on how they will adapt to a quicker pace or game.

In terms of dropping Robles for Howard I thought it was harsh and underlines the manager's style, as he's done the same for outfield players as well, dropping or moving them when people come back. It doesn't really create an environment where you feel there is competition for places, and players have to perform.

The manager sees the players every day in training. He decides who is likely to do the best in the match. Howard did well last night. What's the problem?

He didn't though, he made a few saves I expected him too then turned off at the crucial moment. Ultimately whether he coild see it or not Howard has been beaten by a ball at the near post that hasn't really moved. Not good enough. I just think Robles would have saved it.

He didn't though, he made a few saves I expected him too then turned off at the crucial moment. Ultimately whether he coild see it or not Howard has been beaten by a ball at the near post that hasn't really moved. Not good enough. I just think Robles would have saved it.

Is there any save you don't expect him to make? The saves on the Matic free kick and I believe Cuadrado (may have been Remy) on a low shot earlier were both top notch and have ended up in many a premier net. The one that did go in changed direction of Naismith. Howard was positioned to take it easily before it changed direction. I am inclined to agree he could have stopped it, but you never know. Any of those three could have ended up in the net. That one did. Why didn't any of the three defenders between Willian and the goal clear it anyway? Our keeper was good last night, the whole side was. Bad fortune and a bit of brilliance by Cech is what cost us.

Status
Not open for further replies.