Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 105 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,259 92.3%

• Total voters
Listened to EBM last night and one thing that got mentioned which was interesting was Moshiri's role with USM. Apparently his share holding has dropped below the 10% mark and USM/Everton are not now "interested parties" as a result. I think this is a big take out of the accounts, and if the case will essentially mean the so the rules around "market value test" essentially no longer apply to USM sponsorships.

It is probably a little conspiratorial, but I will put my own theory on this.
1) USM buy Moshiri's shares to get him to a point he's under 10%. I have no idea what his share holding was before but he seemed a substantial but not majority owner, so lets say 20%. Lets say it's valued at 5bn. That means to get him to say 9%, they purchase Moshiri's shares at 300m. Maybe a bit more for good good will and it being a private trade.

2) Moshiri uses some of that money to finance the club, some to purchase shares in a new share issue (up to £250m) and the rest as a down payment on a stadium (which he keeps some equity of, and his name on, so he becomes a key negotiator and figure for any future developments in that area).

3) USM is now not constrained by by "fair market test". Bear in mind City, who negotiated the biggest sponsorships in the league, for an existing ground were deemed to have not breached the fair market test by an impartial and sovereign court. However even that level of scrutiny is no longer relevant and they can make a big initial sponsorship deal with the ground. There may even be an arrangement on top of sponsorship to acquire some equity in the development.

4) Potentially, USM may even buy shares in the club, or (if they were inclined to) to become a partner in Blue Holdings Limited, and thus allowing themselves more influence.

5) If the former (above) it's likely another share issue might come, Moshiri dilutes shares, and sells sections of his shares which can either be directed in club and/or make a profit to himself in the process. Hopefully you push the value of the club up, and at some point in future, may even invite a 3rd wealthy party (potentially Chinese billionaire) to buy stake in club.

6) Up until point 3, it's very likely this has been been checked and cleared with the PL before doing it.

I do not think this manouvreing is in any way coincidental with the ground very close to getting PP. In a lot of ways, once that is done, it would not be unusual for other figures who may have wanted to stay in the background to then come into the foreground more, and use said influence that will come forward having a major development in a major UK city.

As far as I can see it's not been spoken about much, but seemed a very interesting take out. It doesn't seem coincidental that his share holding in USM has just dropped below the level required to now not be governed by the fair market test regulation.

Listened to EBM last night and one thing that got mentioned which was interesting was Moshiri's role with USM. Apparently his share holding has dropped below the 10% mark and USM/Everton are not now "interested parties" as a result. I think this is a big take out of the accounts, and if the case will essentially mean the so the rules around "market value test" essentially no longer apply to USM sponsorships.

It is probably a little conspiratorial, but I will put my own theory on this.
1) USM buy Moshiri's shares to get him to a point he's under 10%. I have no idea what his share holding was before but he seemed a substantial but not majority owner, so lets say 20%. Lets say it's valued at 5bn. That means to get him to say 9%, they purchase Moshiri's shares at 300m. Maybe a bit more for good good will and it being a private trade.

2) Moshiri uses some of that money to finance the club, some to purchase shares in a new share issue (up to £250m) and the rest as a down payment on a stadium (which he keeps some equity of, and his name on, so he becomes a key negotiator and figure for any future developments in that area).

3) USM is now not constrained by by "fair market test". Bear in mind City, who negotiated the biggest sponsorships in the league, for an existing ground were deemed to have not breached the fair market test by an impartial and sovereign court. However even that level of scrutiny is no longer relevant and they can make a big initial sponsorship deal with the ground. There may even be an arrangement on top of sponsorship to acquire some equity in the development.

4) Potentially, USM may even buy shares in the club, or (if they were inclined to) to become a partner in Blue Holdings Limited, and thus allowing themselves more influence.

5) If the former (above) it's likely another share issue might come, Moshiri dilutes shares, and sells sections of his shares which can either be directed in club and/or make a profit to himself in the process. Hopefully you push the value of the club up, and at some point in future, may even invite a 3rd wealthy party (potentially Chinese billionaire) to buy stake in club.

6) Up until point 3, it's very likely this has been been checked and cleared with the PL before doing it.

I do not think this manouvreing is in any way coincidental with the ground very close to getting PP. In a lot of ways, once that is done, it would not be unusual for other figures who may have wanted to stay in the background to then come into the foreground more, and use said influence that will come forward having a major development in a major UK city.

As far as I can see it's not been spoken about much, but seemed a very interesting take out. It doesn't seem coincidental that his share holding in USM has just dropped below the level required to now not be governed by the fair market test regulation.

I haven't listed to the podcast yet, but some very interesting points there.

I can understand the cloak and dagger approach that has been necessary to avoid any suggestion of rule-breaking, and we are probably just going to see more of that until the stadium is as good as completed.

Until then, there is a natural limit to what we can achieve under this "arrangement" notwithstanding the tragic waste of money with transfer spending to date.

I don't ever see Usmanov being the de-facto owner of the club and the present situation is probably as close as we can get to that situation. Ithink its more likely actually as you raise in your Point 5) that in a situation where the stadium was built and we hopefully had some success and a much greater level of commercial growth, that we become attractive to some other oligarch-type or serious investment vehicle.

I don't know Moshiri's age (late 60s?) but its just my hunch that he will want to wrap things up here within the next decade and be the man that delivered the stadium and some modicum of success on the pitch. We would then be all set for another chapter with investors free of the trappings that have come between Moshiri and Usmanov, not that they have been unwelcome.

I haven't listed to the podcast yet, but some very interesting points there.

I can understand the cloak and dagger approach that has been necessary to avoid any suggestion of rule-breaking, and we are probably just going to see more of that until the stadium is as good as completed.

Until then, there is a natural limit to what we can achieve under this "arrangement" notwithstanding the tragic waste of money with transfer spending to date.

I don't ever see Usmanov being the de-facto owner of the club and the present situation is probably as close as we can get to that situation. Ithink its more likely actually as you raise in your Point 5) that in a situation where the stadium was built and we hopefully had some success and a much greater level of commercial growth, that we become attractive to some other oligarch-type or serious investment vehicle.

I don't know Moshiri's age (late 60s?) but its just my hunch that he will want to wrap things up here within the next decade and be the man that delivered the stadium and some modicum of success on the pitch. We would then be all set for another chapter with investors free of the trappings that have come between Moshiri and Usmanov, not that they have been unwelcome.

I think Moshiri is early 60's, but looks quite a healthy early 60s.

My view is, that Usmanov and his family are very tied into this project. His nearest descendant (his nephew) is involved with the club so I suspect a decision has been made the USM involvement is a longer term one. I'd imagine that part of it is wanting to gain property and influence in the UK and the city of Liverpool, but also some fun to own a sports franchise. I don't want to go into enormous details, but I'd also imagine there are a number of people who are quite happy to have an avenue to spend money on the UK that he may or may not be connected too, That won't dissappear with Usmanov and/or Moshiri.

As for Usmanov, I probably agree with you. I don't see him becoming an owner, I don't think he's interested in that. I do think though, he could have been an impediment to getting PP, so he wanted to keep his name away from it. Once that has been agreed and started, he has some more freedom, and I wouldn;t be surprised to see some more, bigger sponsorships from him coming in.

Now they are no longer an associated party, there is really very little to worry about from FFP either.

Moshri the accountant who was given he’s Arsenal shares “by a close friend,” which Moshri then sold to purchase Everton, is obviously running the club as a means to launder money that was “stolen” from the people who live in the old Soviet Union.
It seems on here, as long as it helps Everton buy better players/buy progress up the league, nobody cares that that money should have gone to help the cash strapped communities it’s been stolen from.
“The People’s Club” eh?
Sports fans (generally) couldn't care less were money cones from. They really couldn't.

Sure, it's distasteful if you start digging around, but people didn't start supporting a team with half an eye on the owners source of revenue.

If (for example) the Emir of Qatar picked up the phone to Joe Lewis and gave you a front 3 of Son, Kane and Neymar 99% of the people sitting around you would be absolutely ripping their cocks off.

Who is laundering money that the poor communities should have got.
Speaking of poor communities, How about indigenous tribes in Patagonia that are now denied access to a sacred lake closeby to Joe Lewis sprawling 11'000 hectare estate? (acquired illegally after getting cosy with local government officials?)

A man so petty, that even rivers that were shallow enough to be waded across have been dredged making the journey they have done for centuries or more, impossible. (unless you have budget for a helicopter flight, if not you can always go around mountain passes by horseback should you have several days to spare ) These rivers are not even on his land mind you, just in the vicinity.

That took 2 minutes on Google. I'm sure if I was as interested in Tottenhams spend as you are ours, I'd find plenty more.

Last edited:

So, you're Farhad Moshiri. You have spent millions watching your club stumble from one farcical mishap to another, sacking four managers along the way. Eventually, the stars align and you snare a world-class and legendary manager who, within 12 months, takes a rabble put together by Sam Allardyce, Marco Silva, Ronald Koeman, and Steve Walsh to second in the table, largely without the four demonstrably class players at the club. Do you keep your chequebook in your pocket or do you back the man who has already shown what's possible...with a Frankenstein's monster of a squad?

I think we all know the answer to that. I'd expect Mosh to spaff whatever Carlo requires up the wall with nary a thought for FFP or Marcel Brands's dislike of January.

Now is the time. First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin!

IMG_20210126_171502.jpg

Heavens reading all this lot seems to be quite a bit of cloak and dagger going on. get this stadium up and running matchday revenue will soar. I am pretty sure we will fill the 55k stadium on match days.
Interesting reading we are one of only two of twenty clubs to increase revenue YOY, that stadium naming rights option is looking ever more timely.

Very pleasing that commercial revenue has shot up. Promising.
It's a bit of a false number really - essentially it was a one-off opportunity to sell the 'option' of buying the naming rights of the new stadium. That was bought, unsurprisingly, by Usmanov - it was £30mil. It's really the only reason our commercial revenue went up Y-O-Y.

The positive is that new Everton gets gifts like those and that Moshiri and associates continue to find ways to push money into the club.

However, I truly think that Moshiri is done pushing money in (evidenced by him converting his initial investment/loans into equity recently), until the stadium gets approved as it essentially franks his investment. Really hope the approval happens in the next 2-3 months, otherwise it may be a slow Summer and the opportunity to back Carlo may be a bit harder.

Sorry, I'll stop the ESK act now...

It's a bit of a false number really - essentially it was a one-off opportunity to sell the 'option' of buying the naming rights of the new stadium. That was bought, unsurprisingly, by Usmanov - it was £30mil. It's really the only reason our commercial revenue went up Y-O-Y.

The positive is that new Everton gets gifts like those and that Moshiri and associates continue to find ways to push money into the club.

However, I truly think that Moshiri is done pushing money in (evidenced by him converting his initial investment/loans into equity recently), until the stadium gets approved as it essentially franks his investment. Really hope the approval happens in the next 2-3 months, otherwise it may be a slow Summer and the opportunity to back Carlo may be a bit harder.

Sorry, I'll stop the ESK act now...

Assuming the £30m figure and discounting the naming rights fee (a debatable thing to do in itself) it's still up over 25%. So not really the only reason.

Imagine seeing a Spurs fan devalue 'The People's Club' motto without knowing just how hard and well the people within Everton work hard for their community.

We do alot wrong on the pitch and in the transfer market but the one thing this club can't be questioned on is what it does off the pitch. They go way above and beyond. If you're going to come on and give you're opinion while being a Spurs fan @H.H. (Which i've never had any problem with, other fans of clubs have come on and been fine), at least consider what you're saying. You have no idea as to why we are called the people's club, what that means and how the club treat it's fans or even it's workers. Everton don't bin off those with troubles, they support them (rightly or wrongly they support). Plenty of cases to show this along with a couple of people i know, Big Dunc being one of them, was on his arse, Everton got him back up on feet and he's developed as a coach. Youung players who have been involved in bad crowds they've supported. Players who they are releasing they don't just bin off, they keep for a period to ensure they acn find a club and not be suddenly in the wilderness.

I don't pretend I know what affect this new investment has on current shareholders, however like anything anyone buys into, this would have always been a possibility. One strategy/financial change or whatever it is does not change the fact that the people's club is very much an appropriate motto for Everton football club.

The club does remarkable work for it's people. Do not try and suggest otherwise.

I remember back in around 2002/2003, somebody contacted Everton about my dad's near-fatal crash (he missed t he match for 2/3 years). They sent a signed pennant of the squad through with a nice card. An absolutely MILE BEYOND what they need or should do, they weren't asked for it, the person were enquiring about a potential match ticket in the wheelchair section.

They do alot wrong on the pitch as I said which infuriates me greatly, but are remarkable at many, many things relating to its loyal fanbase and it's workers.
Maybe we should burn down a few of our neighbours premises