Everton Youth Teams Thread

...only Pennington near a first team call up according to Koeman;

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...rton-matthew-pennington-koeman-youth-12652164

I think it confirms it's going to be difficult for any of the current crop to break through.
Amazing how the Echo sub-editors always try to cast things in the worst light - according to their headline, Koeman 'admits' not many of the youth are ready.

Whereas according to Koeman in the story, it would be difficult for some of the youth to break into the team because of the current competition in midfield.

They used to publish a paper instead of a click-hungry rag staffed with illiterate work-experience chancers dreaming of the day they can write captions about women 'flaunting' their underwear and Z-list reality TV scandals.

Wow that is shocking headline
He says "maybe he is one of the few players from that team really close to the first team.”

Really close, he says.

That's not to say the others won't get to that level. He's just saying that right at this minute, Pennington is nearest to the first team.

Awful reporting there.

He says "maybe he is one of the few players from that team really close to the first team.”

Really close, he says.

That's not to say the others won't get to that level. He's just saying that right at this minute, Pennington is nearest to the first team.

Awful reporting there.
And by few he probably meant Kenny, Pennington, Dowell and Walsh which looks about right from that line up.

Really close, he says.

Awful reporting there.

he's absolutely spot on as well mate, Pennington is the closest to the first team in the sense as if anything happens to Williams/Mori then Jags would be selected and Pennington would be on the bench. For Walsh, there's about 6 midfielders ahead of him currently ( that may change on the summer ). He's just been realistic isn't he in that Pennington is closer, I think even he will probably admit to being impressed with the standard of player Unsworth and the staff are producing.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...rton-matthew-pennington-koeman-youth-12652164

I think it confirms it's going to be difficult for any of the current crop to break through.
He didn't actually just say Pennington. One of a few he said.
Think kenny & Robinson are back up to Coleman and Baines.

Feeney is just 18 so you wouldn't expect him to be pushing for a centre back spot. Similar to Beni who's just come from the 18's. Williams just back from injury.

I don't think Walsh is far away. Maybe not this season. But can see him around the 1st team next year. With barry at 36 and McCarthy possibly gone.

Be difficult for charsley dowell & dufus. Probably need to go on loan next season.

I'm expecting a pretty big shake-up within the U23's come summer time. Can see a fair few departures/signings coming in as some of the lads (Pennington, Browning(?), Kenny etc.) move full-time to the first team squad. Can see Charsley & Dowell both going on loan to get used to men's football.

I'd expect by the end of next year there'll be 2-4 more first team debuts depending on what competitions we're in. At the rate he's progressing I wouldn't be shocked to see Feeney next season at some point.

I'm expecting a pretty big shake-up within the U23's come summer time. Can see a fair few departures/signings coming in as some of the lads (Pennington, Browning(?), Kenny etc.) move full-time to the first team squad. Can see Charsley & Dowell both going on loan to get used to men's football.

I'd expect by the end of next year there'll be 2-4 more first team debuts depending on what competitions we're in. At the rate he's progressing I wouldn't be shocked to see Feeney next season at some point.
Very good assessment

So important we get the right club for dowell if he goes out on loan. On talent alone he should be in and around the first team already but he just doesn't influence games as much as he should and a bad loan I think could see him sink into obscurity. He would thrive playing in one of the European leagues where he would get more time on the ball and it's a bit less physical.

So important we get the right club for dowell if he goes out on loan. On talent alone he should be in and around the first team already but he just doesn't influence games as much as he should and a bad loan I think could see him sink into obscurity. He would thrive playing in one of the European leagues where he would get more time on the ball and it's a bit less physical.
On the other hand (and going by what he said about 'becoming a man) maybe the experience of being up against some of the more physical midfielders and defenders in League One or Two is what he needs?

Because PL defensive midfielders and centre backs are both physical and talented and, if you can't handle that side of things consistently *yes, you, Victor*, then you would find it hard to hold down a spot in the PL.

Not the brightest comments from Koeman there, at least regarding the midfielders. Would you tell a student at the beginning of the year they had no chance of earning the top grade or getting into the right college or University?

Not the brightest comments from Koeman there, at least regarding the midfielders. Would you tell a student at the beginning of the year they had no chance of earning the top grade or getting into the right college or University?
Well, actually what he said was that it was going to be difficult to get onto the course s/he wanted because the competition was fierce for the places. (Which was almost word for word what I was told for the place on the course that I wanted and achieved way back in the day.)

I realise I am sounding like an ancient fart here but part of Koeman's problem with certain British supporters is that he is used to European honesty and pragmatism. These days in the UK people would probably make up a phrase like 'talent-shaming' so that they could act the victim and not have to bother with changing their behaviour.

Well, actually what he said was that it was going to be difficult to get onto the course s/he wanted because the competition was fierce for the places. (Which was almost word for word what I was told for the place on the course that I wanted and achieved way back in the day.)

I realise I am sounding like an ancient fart here but part of Koeman's problem with certain British supporters is that he is used to European honesty and pragmatism. These days in the UK people would probably make up a phrase like 'talent-shaming' so that they could act the victim and not have to bother with changing their behaviour.

I think you bring up a valid point about European pragmatism and millennial entitlement, but that doesn't change the psychology behind development.

We know humans don't work towards unattainable goals, so there's a difference between telling a student only the top 10% will get accepted for the next course and that the only way they can get accepted for the next course is if someone already in the course drops out. Those students with the necessary talent will work to ensure they're among the best of the best in the first scenario, while those same students may just throw in the towel in the second scenario.

Still, it's just one throwaway sentence in a newspaper. The message behind the scenes may be something entirely different.

Tom Davies is at 28 in La Gazetta's list of 30 best players u20 in Europe, Sessegnon at 26 and Rashford 4 are the others. Thought I'd post here rather than his thread as some names have appeared on our wish list.

28. Tom Davies - CM - Everton
27. Nikola Milenković - CB - Partizan Belgrade
26. Ryan Sessegnon - LB - Fulham
25. Manuel Locatelli - CM - AC Milan
24. Ante Coric - CAM - Dinamo Zagreb
23. Federico Chiesa - RW - Fiorentina
22. Kai Havertz - CAM - Bayer Leverkusen
21. Enes Ünal - ST - FC Twente (on loan from Man City)
20. Jeremie Boga - CAM - Grenada
19. Borja Mayoral - ST - Wolfsburg (on loan from Real Madrid)
18. Jesús Vallejo - CB - Eintracht Frankfurt (on loan from Real Madrid)
17. Alexander Isak - ST - Borussia Dortmund
16. Theo Hernández - LB - Alavez (on loan from Atletico Madrid)
15. Youri Tielemans - CM - Anderlecht
14. Emre Mor - CAM - Borussia Dortmund
13. Benjamin Henrichs - RB - Bayer Leverkusen
12. Issa Diop - CB - Toulouse
11. Jean-Kévin Augustin - ST - PSG
10. Mikel Oyarzabal - LW - Real Sociedad
9. Breel Embolo - ST - Schalke 04
8. Kasper Dolberg - ST - Ajax
7. Malang Sarr - CB - OGC Nice
6. Ruben Neves - CM - FC Porto
5. Kylian Mbappé - LW - AS Monaco
4. Marcus Rashford - ST - Manchester United