Everton Youth Teams Thread

i think spurs are a decent model to look at, if you look at their backups, they have full backs like tripper and davies who would be 1st choice in about 3/4rs of the league, same goes to vorm, son, janssen etc. Their progression means they can now compete in 4 different competitions and players will fit right in. But this does cost money, i mean they spent £30m on sissoko knowing full well that he wasn't even a first choice player, but they continually build a big squad and they can keep them all happy because of the success.

If we can save having to spend that sort of money on backups and bring through a few youngsters, they can each save us about £5m or more on buying a replacement who possibly won't even be much better. But they have to see a way through to the first team, otherwise they won't stay on.

When you look at players who have left us after not seeing a path through to the first team, but have come back up to play in the prem at a later date like forshaw, maybe duffy next season etc. There's every chance we can now keep them on and have them as bit part players or maybe more, by keeping them around our club a little bit longer with european games, league cup games etc.

But we have to have more success on the pitch.

spurs back up players are gash in my opinion, they cant compete on 4 fronts, just 1, out of 2 comps early (maybe 3 tmrw night) and had easy fixtures in fa cup.

spurs back up players are gash in my opinion, they cant compete on 4 fronts, just 1, out of 2 comps early (maybe 3 tmrw night) and had easy fixtures in fa cup.

i look at most of the top 7 and i think that tbh, especially considering the amounts they've spent. I mean the benches liverpool are putting out are utterly horrific. I meant in terms of prem quality, they have a fair few in backup there. Over the last 5 or 6 years they've consistantly had a good squad on paper imo. Yet now their first team looks weaker, they are more competitive.

Vorm/steklenberg
Trippier/Kenny
Davies/Connelly
Wimmer/holgate
Carter-Vickers/Jagielka

Sissoko/Besic
Winks/McCarthy
Barry/Bentalab

Son/Valencia
Jansen/Kone
Lamela/miralles

You might have a point looking at those respective 'back-up' players for each team. Sadly that isn't the case should you look at the first team, but give it another window and we might be closer to Spurs.

Koeman has a 3 year contract. When he walks out from Everton, he takes with him his brother, that's for sure. Can't see why not Unsie can be his successsor if he keep in the good work with the young lads

It's miles different between kids footie and top premiership football, he will have to leave and manage a club and then we can judge him.

I love Unsworth and the job he's doing but shouts for him to manager is this/next season are absolutely ludicrous I'm afraid. The gulf in quality, expectations & responsibilities between reserve team football and the PL is enormous. Players even say playing for the reserves is cake because it's not competitive so surely managing a kids team is easier.

Again, I love him, but he needs to earn his stripes as a proper manager first. How many managers promoted in the PL in that way (like Monk etc.) are still there?

As the dust starts to settle on Tom Davies’ Man of the Match display against Manchester City last month, attention on the blue half of Merseyside has already turned to finding the latest gem off the Finch Farm conveyor belt.

On the face of it, the outlook in that sense is overwhelmingly positive, with David Unsworth’s superb Under-23 side three points clear at the top of the Premier League 2 ahead of Monday night’s game in hand against Southampton, and possessing a number of fine prospects as far as progression to Ronald Koeman’s senior squad is concerned.

Given the loss of the likes of the aforementioned Davies, Mason Holgate and Dominic Calvert-Lewin to the first-team ranks, together with the continued absence of a plethora of talented loanees current plying their trade in the football league, it must be said that lifting the PL2 would be a monumental achievement for a group of players who are now schooled in the art of winning.

Indeed, their collective development has been such that on a personal level, this crop of Everton youngsters may well be the best witnessed in my time supporting the club.

So without further ado, here are five other Under-23 stars who could be set to make the permanent jump in the coming months.

Liam Walsh, Central Midfielder

The jewel in the Finch Farm crown as far as I’m concerned, diminutive midfielder Walsh has long been spoken of as a first-team star in waiting by those at the Blues’ Halewood academy base.

Equally at home conducting play from a deep-lying role as he is in breaking up opposition attacks and snapping into tackles, the Huyton-born teenager has been an ever-present in Unsworth’s starting lineup when fit and recently captained the side in the Premier League Cup match against Norwich at Carrow Road.

Such has been Walsh’s consistency for the group that call ups to first-team training have inevitably followed, however, the 18-year-old was forced to stay at home this week as other Under-23 players were handed a further chance to impress Koeman during a week-long trip to Dubai.

That snub is unlikely to deter the local starlet, who last week told me that he would use it as motivation as he bids to convince the Dutchman he is ready to feature.

So what is holding him back, then? His small stature could be one issue for a manager known to be keen on pace and power, however last season’s successful loan spell with Yeovil in League Two showed that Walsh was more than able to mix it in the professional game. It could also be that Koeman simply cannot find room in midfield at present for a player who would have to compete against Messrs Schneiderlin and Barry for a first-team role.

Whatever it is, though, don’t bet against Walsh eventually making an impression at Goodison Park. Quite simply: He’s too good not to.

Kieran Dowell, Attacking Midfielder

Attacking midfielder Dowell made a number of impressive cameo appearances for Roberto Martinez towards the back-end of last season, but despite not pushing on for further first-team recognition, remains a unique talent in the Finch Farm setup.

Tall, slender but blessed with a sweet left foot and the ability to drift into pockets of space, you’d be forgiven at times for thinking the England youth international had spent the formative years of his footballing education in Spain. In that regard, it’s perhaps no surprise that his only opportunities with the senior side came under Martinez and not Ronald Koeman.

The task at hand for Dowell is to convince the Catalan’s successor that he’s worthy of a try in an Everton team packed with central midfielders but somewhat lacking in creative players.

The problem for the Aughton-born talent up to now has been that, barring a few small exceptions, his best form for Unsworth’s U23s came towards the back end of the previous campaign, when he netted a series of stunning individual goals. Apart from that, the jury is still out at Finch Farm as to whether such a technical player should be thrown into the hustle and bustle of lower league football as he bids to take the next step.

If he’s able to replicate those displays of 2015/16 and consistently influence games at second-string level though, the variety in his game would offer a unique opportunity to Koeman and Co- and one they’d be foolish not to acknowledge.

Jonjoe Kenny, Defender

Unlike Walsh, one player who did make the cut for the first-team training camp in Dubai was versatile defender Kenny.

Another to feature regularly in England youth sides, the 19-year-old has benefitted from successful loans at Wigan and Oxford United, and may well find that his ability to play either as a rampaging full-back or a stopper-type defender could see him handed a chance to stake his claim in future months.

Often found in sessions with Koeman’s seniors when not captaining the Under-23s, an argument could be made that the Kirkdale lad is closest (with Matty Pennington) out of his cohort to making the step up before the end of the season.

If he were to do so, Kenny certainly wouldn’t let anyone at the club down. Standing at just under 5ft 10, the youngster isn’t the tallest but reads the game excellently and possesses a dogged determination to win his personal battles.

That shone through in last season’s match against Norwich City. Thrust in at the deep end in after an injury to Matty Pennington, the teenager perfectly showcased his defensive nous against the likes of Robbie Brady. However, I’d be doing Jonjoe a disservice if I just highlighted his one-on-one play. At his best, Kenny also provides a regular outlet down the right-hand side and is a decent crosser of the ball.

Given the lack of backup options to first-choice right-back Seamus Coleman, it may well be in that position that the defender ultimately makes the breakthrough.

Callum Connolly, Defender

19-year-old utility man Connolly also made broke through for the Blues at the back end of the previous campaign- but once again, has yet to feature since.

With first-team opportunities limited under Koeman, the Fazakerely-born defender chose to head out on loan to Wigan during the January window, and his reward was a two-goal salvo on debut against Burton Albion.

He has followed that up with a number of promising displays, including a composed performance against Manchester United in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Athletic, strong in the air and able to play across the back four- indeed he has featured at centre-back, right-back left-back and even central midfield for both Everton U23s and England- Connolly’s skill-set and versatility marks him out as a good bet to make the grade at Goodison Park over the coming years.

And if it couldn’t get any better, he also regularly chips in with goals at age-group level.

Matty Pennington, Defender

The final name on the list- I deliberated for a while before plumping for him over goal-getting midfielder Harry Charsley- Pennington is no stranger to Everton fans following a couple of appearances towards the back end of the 2015/16 season.

A hamstring injury during pre-season curtailed his progress, but the former Tranmere and Coventry loan star has returned in style and was recently singled out for praise by Unsworth, who described his charge’s display against Arsenal as “probably the best performance I’ve ever seen from a central defender at this level”.

Now 22 and a consistent part of first-team training, Pennington is probably only behind Phil Jagielka as cover if Koeman chooses to persist with playing three central defenders in the second half of the season.

Interesting, it is the current club captain, Jagielka, to whom he bares most resemblance due to his no-nonsense style and committed approach.

Don’t be surprised to see him figure before the season is out.

And a few others to keep an eye on in the coming years…

Beni Baningime is a dynamic holding midfielder in the mold of Idrissa Gueye. He’s been top drawer for Everton U18s over the past few seasons and is starting to establish himself at U23 level.

Welsh youth international striker Nathan Broadhead is in a similar boat to Baningime as far as his progression is concerned, but should Everton harness his talent correctly, he’d almost certainly be assured a career at a high level of the game. Pacey, technical and with an eye for the spectacular, as his goals in the 2015/16 Dallas Cup triumph serve to evidence.

Gangly attacking midfielder Antony Evans starred in the 4-1 mini mini-derby thumping of Liverpool back in September and is currently on loan at Morecambe. Has some filling out to do but talent is there with ball at his feet.

Centre-back Morgan Feeney made his U23 debut back in 2015 as a 16-year-old and has since captained England at U18 level. Comparisons with Dave Watson are apt given how good he is at the defensive side of the game.

*Everton Under-23’s game on Monday 20th February is at Goodison and free to attend. As well as the action on the pitch, there will be plenty of pre-match activity taking place in the Everton Fan Zone from 5.30pm with live music, free giveaways and special guest appearances from Tom Davies, Mason Holgate and Dominic Calvert-Lewin, who have all been involved in the fundraising campaign to date.

Seems like we really, really have a great bunch of lads coming through in the next few years, of course not all of them will make it, but the fact that Ronny left the squad so "short" seems to me like a few of them will be given a chance to shine in the next few years...

Did Holland get released?? Was he deemed not good enough. Out of this group I can see us releasing lads and them turning into superstars...

Think to some extent we've been a victim of our own success mate. We had 3 good/very good U18s back to back so there's now a bit of a bottleneck in the U23s....

We also have a lot of important decisions to make over the next couple of years too with this current crop. 5 years ago I would imagine as many as 9/10 of them would have gone on to play 1st team football for us...

...I think this is a really important point. It's also clear the club has a strategy to bring in highly talented youngsters (Lookman; Calvert-Lewin; Holgate) so it will be even more difficult for the existing lot to breakthrough. Not forgetting a number of U18s will be pushing next season.

Had a conversation this weekend with another massive Blue on here about the yoof. How many would take a career as a squad player for Everton, getting the odd league game, cup games, etc. vs leaving to player regular football, even if it's down the league? Because quite frankly a lot of these lads are going to have to make that decision I think. Think about the money we absolutely tossed away in wages on the likes of Gibson, Pienaar, McGeady etc the last few seasons? You can't tell me in a few years time, most of these lads aren't good enough to be filler like they were.

But is that what's best for them?

I think that's going to be a massive dilemna for us and them in the next couple of years. There's a lot of talent there, at multiple ages, but not only do they have to contend with the established 1st team players and the young players we bring in, but each other and any that come through from the lower age groups as well. There simply isn't enough space for all of them in the first team squad (aside from in defense imo, where I think we could see a couple come thru soon), even if we have Europe/Cup competitions to play. The good thing is that most of them are still very young. Hopefully they are not in a rush to be in the first team at 20, and we can give them a couple of good loans. Not only will this give them time to gain experience and improve themselves, it also gives players in the first team time to age a little and create a gap in the squad to fill. In a couple more years Jags and Barry will be gone, Baines on his way out, Schneiderlin and Gana will be nearly 30. Coleman and Miralles 30+, Williams 34, Bolassie 29 and coming back from a bad injury. Aside from transfers in, there will be plenty of space and opportunity then if they are willing to wait and develop here/on loan instead of trying to get first team football as soon as possible.

Very pleased for them all. Don't think too many will make the step up as there's a massive gulf but there's no shame in that. Many of them will have careers as professional footballers, and if just 3 of them have a sustained career with Everton then that's a massive result.

Don't know how much this is part of you on the wind, but if 3 of this lot have a long career with us, and another 3 from another batch a few years down the line, that will be half the starting 11, and a great output from our youth set up.

Totally agree with everything you say with regards to Unsworth and the job he has done. My only problem with Unsworth coming in as the next manager would be that he isn't a 'name' and while I don't think this is a bad thing from a fans point of view I don't see Unsworth as having the pull to attract top level players into the club in the way that a Simeone or even a Koeman could/can. Unsworth does deserve a chance but think he may have to go elsewhere first before he gets the big job at Everton in order to raise his profile. Im not trying to be disparaging towards Unsworth at all but think its telling that Moshiri went down the big name manager route and cant see that approach altering in the short/medium term at least.

I think you are right mate. I can't see us going for Unsworth next but I'd be very happy if we did.

Well presumably (hopefully) Koeman will be here another couple years. By then it would be nice to think we'll be well established by then and Unsworth's worth/profile will also have risen. I would love to see us then have a promoting from within mentality, with the coaching staff as well as the playing staff.

It's a tough one mate because all the owns you mention have the type of experience managers rely on. Most important thing for the u23's I think is to wrap up the title and then hopefully next season either some of them are knocking on the door to be part of the 1st team squad or they are sent out on loan.
After watching McCarthy, Lennon, Kone & Valencia mate, I honestly think it's a no brainer that we get some of these lads on the bench and game minutes. Generally I'm sick of hearing about experience when for me the above quartet aren't anywhere near the level we need. I honestly think the managers got nothing to lose.

It's miles different between kids footie and top premiership football, he will have to leave and manage a club and then we can judge him.
I disagree. A managers job is about motivation, tactics and strategy. All of which unsy seems to have in abundance, especially if combined with royle as his more experienced foil. It's very like playing a young player in the first team - quite possibly he can do well - but of course it's a definite risk. However it's a risk personally I would take, because I believe his passion for the club would bring him success. All just an opinion, of course - but that's all we can ever have, until that opinion is tested.

I disagree. A managers job is about motivation, tactics and strategy. All of which unsy seems to have in abundance, especially if combined with royle as his more experienced foil. It's very like playing a young player in the first team - quite possibly he can do well - but of course it's a definite risk. However it's a risk personally I would take, because I believe his passion for the club would bring him success. All just an opinion, of course - but that's all we can ever have, until that opinion is tested.

spot on. He's earning his stripes now. Proving himself to be a manager with true potential. Sometimes it makes sense to take a risk.

I think that's going to be a massive dilemna for us and them in the next couple of years. There's a lot of talent there, at multiple ages, but not only do they have to contend with the established 1st team players and the young players we bring in, but each other and any that come through from the lower age groups as well. There simply isn't enough space for all of them in the first team squad (aside from in defense imo, where I think we could see a couple come thru soon), even if we have Europe/Cup competitions to play. The good thing is that most of them are still very young. Hopefully they are not in a rush to be in the first team at 20, and we can give them a couple of good loans. Not only will this give them time to gain experience and improve themselves, it also gives players in the first team time to age a little and create a gap in the squad to fill. In a couple more years Jags and Barry will be gone, Baines on his way out, Schneiderlin and Gana will be nearly 30. Coleman and Miralles 30+, Williams 34, Bolassie 29 and coming back from a bad injury. Aside from transfers in, there will be plenty of space and opportunity then if they are willing to wait and develop here/on loan instead of trying to get first team football as soon as possible.

Don't know how much this is part of you on the wind, but if 3 of this lot have a long career with us, and another 3 from another batch a few years down the line, that will be half the starting 11, and a great output from our youth set up.

Well presumably (hopefully) Koeman will be here another couple years. By then it would be nice to think we'll be well established by then and Unsworth's worth/profile will also have risen. I would love to see us then have a promoting from within mentality, with the coaching staff as well as the playing staff.
Fully agree on Unsworth. If RK does stay the term then hopefully he would have already brought in the players to get us established. Unsworth can then take up thr reins and continue the important work of integrating this talented crop of youngsters into the first team set up. Spanish and German clubs promote from within and its no coincidence these countries have a much better record bringing through youth players.

IMO this lack of experience tag is a myth. English clubs are just too scared to try it because, financially, theres to much to risk. So they tend to go with experience.

Liverpool practically built a dynasty using this policy and its only when they moved away from it that they floundered.

You can tell from the way our boys play the game that we have good coaches. The kids coming through are all comfortable on the ball, very good technically, can use either feet, extemely well grounded and great attitudes. Thats not down to Unsy. Thats instilled throughout the academy from a very young age. Lets show some faith in our system and the guys that make it work.

Fully agree on Unsworth. If RK does stay the term then hopefully he would have already brought in the players to get us established. Unsworth can then take up thr reins and continue the important work of integrating this talented crop of youngsters into the first team set up. Spanish and German clubs promote from within and its no coincidence these countries have a much better record bringing through youth players.

IMO this lack of experience tag is a myth. English clubs are just too scared to try it because, financially, theres to much to risk. So they tend to go with experience.

Liverpool practically built a dynasty using this policy and its only when they moved away from it that they floundered.

You can tell from the way our boys play the game that we have good coaches. The kids coming through are all comfortable on the ball, very good technically, can use either feet, extemely well grounded and great attitudes. Thats not down to Unsy. Thats instilled throughout the academy from a very young age. Lets show some faith in our system and the guys that make it work.

With respect I have to regretfully disagree. I cant fathom Rhino being in charge of our first team in the foresseable future for the very reason that the trajectory of the club under Moshiri et al is desgined to rise rapidly once the stadium issue is sorted/approved.

I just cant see Rhino being the high profile, big reputation manager that will be desired to lead us into the new stadium (lets say 5 years from now) and probable new era. I dont think you can go for a manager profile in Koeman to one of Unsworth without Rhino going away and proving himself quite quickly.

Our profile has increased enourmously over the last twelve months in my opinion; as has the attitude of the club. I think when Koeman goes we will simply go out and attract as bigger name as Koeman is rather than go to our reserve team manager. It will be befitting of the trajectory the club is seemingly wanting to go to.

I respect Rhino and admire him but I sense his timing is unfortunate. Stay at Goodison, no takeover etc..he would be a great candidate. But for where the club wishes to go, and the profile the club needs (for better revenues/players etc), Rhino isnt a big enough name nor is he proven.

In my eyes he needs to go out of the club and prove himself rapidly to be in with a chance of the job full time within the next five years or so. Even then I think he is up against it.

I think that Steve Walsh will have a big part in finding Koemans replacement when/if he leaves.

That is a big part of his job as well as finding new talent. The club does not want to lurch from one direction to another as one manager leaves and another arrives with players being scattered like confetti as the new manager looks for something completely different.

It will be about continuity. Koeman has been brought in to not only build a team and to win games , but, to set a template for the future direction of the club and Steve Walsh is central to establishing that continuity.

Should the manager leave in due course, I think that Unsworth will most certainly be looked at but as well they will will looking for a manager to keep building on whatever base Koeman has left behind.
I would not be surprised to see Unsworth as assistant first and manager at a later date. He still has plenty of time .

With respect I have to regretfully disagree. I cant fathom Rhino being in charge of our first team in the foresseable future for the very reason that the trajectory of the club under Moshiri et al is desgined to rise rapidly once the stadium issue is sorted/approved.

I just cant see Rhino being the high profile, big reputation manager that will be desired to lead us into the new stadium (lets say 5 years from now) and probable new era. I dont think you can go for a manager profile in Koeman to one of Unsworth without Rhino going away and proving himself quite quickly.

Our profile has increased enourmously over the last twelve months in my opinion; as has the attitude of the club. I think when Koeman goes we will simply go out and attract as bigger name as Koeman is rather than go to our reserve team manager. It will be befitting of the trajectory the club is seemingly wanting to go to.

I respect Rhino and admire him but I sense his timing is unfortunate. Stay at Goodison, no takeover etc..he would be a great candidate. But for where the club wishes to go, and the profile the club needs (for better revenues/players etc), Rhino isnt a big enough name nor is he proven.

In my eyes he needs to go out of the club and prove himself rapidly to be in with a chance of the job full time within the next five years or so. Even then I think he is up against it.

yeah i feel the same. It would be a kenwright move in my eyes, but not a moshiri one. You can see the way he's gone after a high profile name as boss, gone for what many consider as the best DoF in the league and taken him from the champions, spruced up the outside of the stadium to try and make it not look as old as it is.

Kenwright tried his hardest, is a die hard evertonian and i'll never hate him for that, but Moshiri is a real businessman, we'll see what it's like to be run properly and hopefully see rapid development as opposed to gradual development and a pat on the head.