Everton Youth Teams Thread

Onyango has missed a lot of games through injury, the other area is that while he’s always been tall he’s purred to look gangly and at times uncoordinated. I saw that he was using the Personal Trainer Gordon used to try to bulk up , and it may be that he comes back as not only having played regular mens football but with a more powerful body and physical presence.
Talking to one of the youth players a while back , he says he is miles better than he has shown up to now, dosnt believe in himself.
In training he scores from long shots ect but never does it on the pitch during a match
Said he is a cracking lad as well just needs that self believe to be a really top player.

Onyango has missed a lot of games through injury, the other area is that while he’s always been tall he’s purred to look gangly and at times uncoordinated. I saw that he was using the Personal Trainer Gordon used to try to bulk up , and it may be that he comes back as not only having played regular mens football but with a more powerful body and physical presence.

Maybe I've been unlucky when I've seen him play but I've never seen anything from Onyango, other than an occasional flash, to suggest he's anywhere near the level needed for 1st team football. Never seen him control a game like Warrington did in the 1st half of last season or, as you suggest, be as effective as Beningime defensively.

Big step up for him to hold down a place at Burton - I wish him well.

Talking to one of the youth players a while back , he says he is miles better than he has shown up to now, dosnt believe in himself.
In training he scores from long shots ect but never does it on the pitch during a match
Said he is a cracking lad as well just needs that self believe to be a really top player.

If we have Onana starting then my hope would be that (at least) Onyango could be his back up and model his gamd on Onana's.

Worst case we save a lot of money on a backup player...best case he forces his way into the team or takes over from Onana in a few seasons.

If the confidence is an issue then hopefully the Burton loan gives him confidence.

…for me, i don’t think he’s as effective a defensive midfielder as Beningime & there’s lots to work on with regard to his quality in possession. He has the great advantage of natural physicality in his locker but I’d hope the other parts of his game develop if he can establish a place in the team.
Onyango has never impressed me either Eggs, he always seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, doesn’t read the game very well at all, got no complaints about his physicality just his football brain.

I've only seen his limited mins in the first team and some YouTube, so not very much to go on at all but I think in time he could be a physical beast of a midfielder getting up and down from box to box.

Everton Under-21s Head Coach Paul Tait is confident his team can significantly improve their performance levels after kicking off their Premier League 2 campaign with a 2-0 win over Blackburn Rovers on Friday.

Tom Cannon and Sean McAllister scored either side of half-time to ensure Tait’s first competitive game in charge of the Under-21s ended in victory at Southport FC.

The young Blues return to action on Friday night when they travel to Tottenham Hotspur (7pm).

The game is being streamed on evertonfc.com live for Official Members, as well as Season Ticket, Hospitality and Lounge Members. Click here to find out more about Official Memberships and to sign up now.

Tait has urged his players to build momentum following the opening-day win and believes they will go from strength to strength as they build towards optimum fitness.

He told evertontv: “The result was really good and it was very important for the lads to get that belief and confidence.

“Hopefully they can carry that confidence into the Tottenham match.

“It was only the first game, and we’re not quite where we want to be physically yet. To play the way we want to, we’ve got to be really fit. We just dropped off a little after we got that 2-0 lead. We feel we could have gone after another goal and pressed higher up the pitch.

“I asked the players at the end of the game what they thought of the performance and they said, ‘We can be better, and we have to be better’.

“We defended well and our low build-up was really good, and the switches of play were good.

“I think we could have played through midfield a lot better and opened them up more through the middle of the pitch. I feel we could have got forward down the sides more and got crosses in.

“There is loads to work on but, on the whole, it was a positive start.”

Tait explained how goalscorers Cannon and McAllister got their just rewards for their application on and off the ball.

“Tom worked tirelessly,” he said.

“He put us ahead and also pressed and regained the ball for the second goal. We’re really happy with his work-rate and it’s great he’s scored in the first game. He’s off and running now

“With Sean, I see him in training every day and he’s a goalscorer.

“He can score from anywhere around the box. He’s two-footed and he’s another hard worker. I was delighted with him.”

Anyone know if this is true?

Kieran Driscoll was actually an Academy Coach with us 11 years ago . It looks like he went out , got his qualifications and more experience including time with City’s Academy.

Academy Coach​

Everton Football Club

Sep 2009 - Jul 2011 1 year 11 months

I had a quick look at Wigan’s Academy , wondering if there were any namesthat he might bring in. One name I did recognise was Eko Solomon who has joined them having played in our Academy . I’m pretty sure Eko Solomon was one of the ball boys who leapt into Big Dunc’s arms in celebration that time he was manager against Chelsea. Though I’ve no idea why I’ve remembered that random bit of info or if it can be confirmed!