Everton Youth Teams Thread

....few pints last night with somebody from the club, apparently Onyango is the one folk are sitting up and taking note of.
...16 year old, central midfielder already made the breakthrough into U23s.

What kind of level do they think he could aspire to, another Barkley level talent or? Read somewhere that hes in the mould of a Fellaini ?

...funny, I asked about that and there was a bit of a shrug and confirmation that he trains with the first team (which we already know).

Really peculiar situation...

What kind of level do they think he could aspire to, another Barkley level talent or? Read somewhere that hes in the mould of a Fellaini ?

Really peculiar situation...

....unless you have a Rooney, I suggest it’s impossible to predict what level a player will end up at. The lad I was with gave me a stat (I had a few drinks so I can’t remember it exactly), but it was something like only 0.08% of Academy prospects who come through the doors at USM FF end up playing for the first team.

i think all we can say about Onyango is that he’s 16 and playing with the U23s. I like the Fellaini comparison, I think it’s good to give an indication of the ‘type’ of player we’re talking about. For all of his profile, Ellis Simms was kept in his own age group last season, so the club don’t appear to promote unless an individual stands out from the others. At this stage, I think Onyango is definitely one to watch.

Hopefully Eggs. Still time for him to "do a lundstram"
I remember Liam Walsh scoring from the half way line for the u18s a few years back, Tom Davies won the ball and passed to him, Walsh saw the GK out of position and hit it. Davies has never shown the same ability to score goals like that or the one in the clip, but he came through and from memory Walsh never got close to a first team squad or playing for England through the age groups the way Davies has. It goes to show how hard it is to judge these kids unless you are seeing them every game and every day in training like the coaches are.

....unless you have a Rooney, I suggest it’s impossible to predict what level a player will end up at. The lad I was with gave me a stat (I had a few drinks so I can’t remember it exactly), but it was something like only 0.08% of Academy prospects who come through the doors at USM FF end up playing for the first team.

i think all we can say about Onyango is that he’s 16 and playing with the U23s. I like the Fellaini comparison, I think it’s good to give an indication of the ‘type’ of player we’re talking about. For all of his profile, Ellis Simms was kept in his own age group last season, so the club don’t appear to promote unless an individual stands out from the others. At this stage, I think Onyango is definitely one to watch.

Lets hope he comes through.

We could do with two or three coming through and cementing positions in the first 11.

I remember Liam Walsh scoring from the half way line for the u18s a few years back, Tom Davies won the ball and passed to him, Walsh saw the GK out of position and hit it. Davies has never shown the same ability to score goals like that or the one in the clip, but he came through and from memory Walsh never got close to a first team squad or playing for England through the age groups the way Davies has. It goes to show how hard it is to judge these kids unless you are seeing them every game and every day in training like the coaches are.
He played a few games for England, at 16 & 18 I think. And he was in the squad for under 20’s which England won and he would have been the 6th Everton player in the squad, but got injured.

Of that really good group that came through a few years ago, won the 18 league then the 23’s i always rated Walsh as the best midfielder in the group, with, Ledson, Joe Williams and Davies. Shows what I know ha ha. But I still think he has the ability to reach a high level in the future, look a lundstrum. He’s just been a bit unlucky Witt injuries

Gordon started for England u19s v Bosnia and Herzegovina,midday ko,and has played 1st 45mins so far
Astley starts for wales u19s,while Rhys Hughes is a sub v Kosovo is 1pm ko -game below
Tom Cannon is not involved in Ireland u19s game even as a sub-wonder is he injured