Everton Youth Teams Thread

Everton felt handing Harry Charsley a short-term contract was the 'right thing to do' following a serious back injury sustained by the 22-year-old last season.

Charsley, who has lifted titles with both the under-18 and under-23 set-up at Goodison Park, was initially set for release after more than a decade with his boyhood club.

The Republic of Ireland youth international had missed the majority of the campaign through injury but David Unsworth confirmed to the ECHO that Everton have now handed the Premier League 2 title-winner fresh terms until January.

"I've seen a bit of press about it recently," Unsworth explained.
"Harry's been with us since he was five or six. He got injured towards the end of the season and it was a real serious injury, a stress fracture of his back.

"What we didn't want to do and what we don't do at this club is chuck kids to the side and not look after them. He couldn't do anything for three or four months and we have an obligation to look after the player.

"We felt it was the right decision to give him a contract until January to get fit and stay fit. We're on smaller numbers than we have been over the last couple of years so there's an opportunity to increase his profile and get himself a club in January."

Charsley has now made five appearances this term and is likely to feature against Manchester City at Southport this evening.

After making his first-team debut against Apollon Limassol in 2017, Unsworth has challenged the youngster to put himself in the shop window ahead of the next transfer window.

The former caretaker boss added: "It's something I'm proud our club does. We don't just chuck young players we've invested a lot of time and coaching with by the wayside just because they're injured.

"That's a responsibility I will always take because it's the People's Club. This is what we do. We do it properly. Myself, Marcel and the club felt that was the right thing to do and Harry and his agent were absolutely delighted as you can imagine.

"He's a great lad as well. When you've had a lad who's done absolutely everything for your team and your club for more than ten years you've got to look after them and do what's right.

"You've got to do the right thing and we do the right thing by our young players and our young players never let us down."
I can't agree with this, Well done to Unsworth and co for taking care of the lad but he got released and was deemed not good enough now he's playing every game and seems like he will leave in January, Mean while another youngster is sitting on the bench while someone else is taking his place who got released then signed a short term contract and is then looking to leave in January.

The only issue I have is he doesn’t have to play him every game. Like unsworth has said it’s a short term deal to get himself fit. He shouldn’t be taking the place of the next group of lads coming through

Totally understand where you are coming from mate.

What I don't want to happen is see it stifle the next kid coming through but maybe Unsworth and/or Brands see him as someone who can help the younger lads (at least until January) and then they step up to the plate after being under the guidance of Charsley for a few months.

The thing with Charsley, he isn't really keeping one particular player out the side which makes it easier to pick him. One week he's at rb, then the next he's cm, then the next he's behind the striker, then plays lb.

He tends to play where we can be a little light in positions, just as Unsworth mentions it's a smaller squad than usual.

I don't mind it at all if Everton try to look after the lad until Jan, after all, the kid has been here since he was 5 and that's not just a commitment from him, but his parents driving him back and forth for years until he gets to the point where he was good enough to be given a pro contract. It's a long time and Everton have invested a lot of time and money in him too.

Sorry for the long post anyway mate lol

City have not showed any game on Facebook for over a year-They have a new TV channel but dont think that shows any Game Live,plus a little fee as well
Everton probably wont show it i dont think ,but upto this Minute,both teams dont even mention there is a a Game Tonight

....heavy rain all morning and plenty overnight here in Liverpool today.

Totally understand where you are coming from mate.

What I don't want to happen is see it stifle the next kid coming through but maybe Unsworth and/or Brands see him as someone who can help the younger lads (at least until January) and then they step up to the plate after being under the guidance of Charsley for a few months.

The thing with Charsley, he isn't really keeping one particular player out the side which makes it easier to pick him. One week he's at rb, then the next he's cm, then the next he's behind the striker, then plays lb.

He tends to play where we can be a little light in positions, just as Unsworth mentions it's a smaller squad than usual.

I don't mind it at all if Everton try to look after the lad until Jan, after all, the kid has been here since he was 5 and that's not just a commitment from him, but his parents driving him back and forth for years until he gets to the point where he was good enough to be given a pro contract. It's a long time and Everton have invested a lot of time and money in him too.

Sorry for the long post anyway mate lol
Under the guidance of charsley? Ryan Astley was in the team last season that won league and now finds himself on the bench.

I’m not a fan of unsworth, who’s really come through from the 23ms under his reign. Imo players have gone backwards. IE Evans, Feeney to name 2. I’ve always thought he’s more concerned with winning and his own CV. Look at how many older players he has in the team over the last few years, including some who everyone knew would be leaving at the end of the season.

I know that won’t be a poplar post, but it’s just my opinion.

Under the guidance of charsley? Ryan Astley was in the team last season that won league and now finds himself on the bench.

I’m not a fan of unsworth, who’s really come through from the 23ms under his reign. Imo players have gone backwards. IE Evans, Feeney to name 2. I’ve always thought he’s more concerned with winning and his own CV. Look at how many older players he has in the team over the last few years, including some who everyone knew would be leaving at the end of the season.

....a few have made this point, Stephen. What we don’t know is club strategy. Unsworth could simply be following club policy in playing senior Academy players. I don’t know if he has a free reign to select who he wants. As for players not progressing, perhaps they hit a ceiling playing age limited football and not progressing to the senior squad.

I’m not a fan of unsworth, who’s really come through from the 23ms under his reign. Imo players have gone backwards. IE Evans, Feeney to name 2. I’ve always thought he’s more concerned with winning and his own CV. Look at how many older players he’s in the team over the last few years, including some who everyone knew would be leaving at the end of the season.

No mate I think there's a fair few who have the same opinion as yourself so I ain't gonna knock it.

I think Brands will have set out guidelines from what he expects from Unsworth and all Unsworth can do is try his best to get players first team ready. It's out of his hands if Silva doesn't want to use the likes of Dowell, Kenny, Broadhead and the players you mention (Evans and Feeney) I actually think he's made them better players. Evans has got talent but doesn't use it anywhere enear enough but I think Unsworth worked on his tactical positioning which will benefit the kid on the long term. Feeney has had issues with his knees so not sure how much that might have stumped his development.

Gordon coming through now looks a cut above everyone so I csn see him being given a chance, but apart from him (and possibly Gibson) Unsworth just has a solid group of lads to work with who will have a decent career in football but probably just not up to the level we would hope for. There's only so much he can coach someone, the top talents find thero way to the very top because of their skillset/mindsst/ability to take in and understand tactical information and what's required and above all able to make decisions under pressure.

Just my opinion though mate, like you I've been surprised with Astleys lack of game time. Simms has barely had a Sniff, comes on and scores a great goal, picked next game and given the hook at half time (not sure if it was an injury or port performance) but that's what Unsworth will do sometimes in order to try and get the best out of a player.

Sorry again for the long post lol

Thing is though, Ryan Astley is only 17. He's not going to suffer massively from not playing every under 23 game between now and January, in fact if anything it's probably best that he doesn't. If he was 19 and knocking on the first team door than i'd agree, but at this point he's already got a lot more under 23 exposure than he probably would have expected.

Thing is though, Ryan Astley is only 17. He's not going to suffer massively from not playing every under 23 game between now and January, in fact if anything it's probably best that he doesn't. If he was 19 and knocking on the first team door than i'd agree, but at this point he's already got a lot more under 23 exposure than he probably would have expected.

wont matter anyway, that divvy silva wont give any youngster a chance with the first team.

Any links for tonight's game mate?

Pretty much that from 10.30am, nothing has changed and city have said nothing so far,unless a stream turns up from either late

City have not showed any game on Facebook for over a year-They have a new TV channel but dont think that shows any Game Live bar the rare one,plus a little fee as well
Everton probably wont show it i dont think ,but upto this Minute,both teams dont even mention there is a a Game Tonight

Thanks Ring master, please keep us posted if the game is going ahead and to any possible links if it does. Thanks for any further news in advance.
Defo dont think there's any problem with game going ahead,but on stream as said if one tuns up would be late,
Burton will probably show Everton cup game Tuesday but probably via there I Follow which you have to pay for,and for a week tomorrow Everton u18s v Liverpool u18s is on LFCTV