Everton Youth Teams Thread

From what I’ve seen this season, Simms has looked sharper and more like scoring in 50 plus minutes of the Otten Cup than Hornby has in 180 mins at U23s PL2. Two main reasons for that, he’s was playing against U19s who were less organised and he was playing in a team with sharp attacking intent who played balls through to him. When people ask how he’s doing it’s because they’ve heard of him and are wondering if he’s ready for the first team , which is nonsense. What is realistic though is that our coaches can turn an 18 year old who scored 40 odd goals last season into a decent U23s player who scores 10 plus goals this season , then we take it from there.

From what I’ve seen this season, Simms has looked sharper and more like scoring in 50 plus minutes of the Otten Cup than Hornby has in 180 mins at U23s PL2. Two main reasons for that, he’s was playing against U19s who were less organised and he was playing in a team with sharp attacking intent who played balls through to him. When people ask how he’s doing it’s because they’ve heard of him and are wondering if he’s ready for the first team , which is nonsense. What is realistic though is that our coaches can turn an 18 year old who scored 40 odd goals last season into a decent U23s player who scores 10 plus goals this season , then we take it from there.

You mean nonsense like this?

Ellis Simms should be on the bench for the burnley game imo

Would make a statement and if we are winning comfortably can bring him in for his first team debut

Fraser Hornby about to join Belgian Jupiler League outfit KV Kortrijk, according to Belgian media.

Edit: Initial loan with option to buy it seems.

Fraser Hornby about to join Belgian Jupiler League outfit KV Kortrijk, according to Belgian media.

We need to get players like Horby out on loan/sale to alleviate this bottleneck we’ve got in the U23’s.

He's not the 1st I'd have out the door by any means, still only 19 until next month but definitely need rid of a few. Hopefully we'll see Evans, Connolly etc move on by end of August

Seems a good move for him, option to buy is a surprise for someone his age , if he’s great we lose him if he’s poo he comes back. I like the idea of linking up with foreign clubs, Chelsea and City do it. At least four more should be loaned or depart, including at least one or two of Beni, Adeniran, Markelo , Denny they’re all too similar .

If Hornby is confirmed as a loan to Hibs that’s 5 of last years attackers gone , Broadhead, Bowler, Hornby on loan, Sambou , Charsley permanently gone. With Adedoyin also on loan our remaining attackers are very young in Gordon, Simms, Phillips and Mampala , quite exciting really and with a few decent young midfielders also moving up it’ll hopefully offer a more attacking team this year. And if Feeney goes on loan , we could still have a decent back four of Foulds, Gibson, Astley, John., with Hansen GK. Having such a young squad will really test Unsworth , and we’re unlikely to win PL2 again but it feels somehow we’re moving in the right direction .
I always held the belief (rightly or wrongly) that if a young player is not knocking on the door of the first team squad at 21 ,chances are he never will.
Giving 18/19 yr olds open age football will see them either sink or swim
If they sink sell them ,if they swim get them in and around the first team for training and see how they cope

I always held the belief (rightly or wrongly) that if a young player is not knocking on the door of the first team squad at 21 ,chances are he never will.
Giving 18/19 yr olds open age football will see them either sink or swim
If they sink sell them ,if they swim get them in and around the first team for training and see how they cope

....I think that’s a reasonable view, the exception being the likes of Osman who suffered major injury at a key stage. Joe Williams was another who was worthy of the consideration he was given because of his injury record.

I was talking about the U23s mate and Unsworth using them to further his own career as a manager rather than to develop young players to become good enough to play for the first team.

As far as I'm aware we haven't bought any new players for the under 23s. And Unsworth being pragmatic doesn't come into it. His role is to develop players for the first team. But he insists on playing lads who have no future with Everton when he should be blooding younger players who still could make it if managed properly.
THATS BANG ON THE MONEY

I’ve said on another thread that Mr. Brands, when he has time sorting out the transfer mess he was left with, should make a complete over haul of the Acadamy from the U23’s right through the full spectre of the younger players, need fresh coaches with fresh idea’s and systems of playing at these levels.
I said months ago that I could see Brands bringing in foreign coaches for the academy.
Coaches who would all play the same way.
Coaches more interested in performance than results.
Coaches who realise their job is to get players ready for the first team before they hit 21/22
Coaches who are not using the job as a dress rehearsal or interview for a managers job away from the club
It may take a couple of years as the first team rebuild will take priority but I think within 5 years you wont recognise our academy set up

People seem to have a very, very unrealistic expectation of what a premier league academy side will produce for the 1st team.
We'd all love a 1st team full of academy products but it's just not goin to happen in England anymore with the vast amounts of money pumped into 1st team squads. It's not like the Netherlands or France.

Eh? According to what I can see I’ve replied to you twice in the last 4 months, both in the same conversation?!

Anyway, on topic, I think the academy is just fine and we don’t need to turf everyone out as soon as they’re old enough to vote. Controversial.
f the academy was just fine we would have players coming through to the first team.
As it is we have davies ,who has stagnated and gibson who is there by necessity rather than choice.
I don't consider DCL as an Academy product.
I don't know the numbers(I am sure some poster will have the stats) but for all the talk of how we give youngsters a chance I am sure we are well down the list number wise of how many academy products we have in our first team squad
As I said ,the academy is not fine,
Its fine if winning the PL 2 is our ambition ,but if our ambition is to produce regular first team gametime for the youngsters than its failing badly

Good question, did we replace Joe royle who was meant to be loan liaison manager or something? Though I don't think he was particularly good at it or wasn't allowed to be.
I think the lad we got of fleetwood town as a scout is now in charge of loans for young players
I seem to remember Brands saying this.
The idea was to find the right club for the player.
I am however open to correction

....I have a general view that academy players who are sent on loan have very little chance of coming through at Everton. I can only think of Osman and Barkley (both of who suffered serious injury as youngsters) who went on loan and subsequently played 50 games or more.

The best youngsters don’t go on loan because the manager wants to use them.
Coleman benefited from a loan to Blackpool but that was a totally different set of circumstances due to his age and previous experience