Everton Youth Teams Thread

That’s the point I’m making. An 18 year old who is likely to make the PL would by now, at the very least, be banging them in for the u23s with hype around first team action. If he is only sitting on the sidelines at his age now, either our system to bring youngsters through is a complete mess with the clear bottlenecks it’s allowed or he really isn’t the next Moise Kean.
While that's not a crazy idea, I do think the growth curve for taller, bigger players can sometimes be a bit slower for whatever reasons. That being said, not sure why he's not playing.

I’ve been reluctant to criticise Unsworth in the past but have become increasingly frustrated with our play in the last 3 months of last season and the two games I’ve seen so far. I’ll accept that there are other factors in play in picking Martina, Connolly, Charsley but the mentality then seems to be not to lose rather than winning , hold what we’ve got , don’t concede, plus a lack of tactical attacking nous on his part.

Both games reflect my view. Leicester were down to 10 men away from home and we couldn’t break them down . We had 3 centre backs on the field, tactically it was crying out for a switch to a back 3 and allowing Foulds and John two attacking full backs to play as wing backs and try to get behind them.
Against Wolves they were the better team, we couldn’t score so we took off an attacker Charsley , who was probably knackered so fair enough, but brought on a defensive mid Markelo, with two attacking options Phillips and Mampala on the bench. Over three seasons Unsworth has been brilliant at organising the defence, going through multi changes in personnel yet still having a solid, structured defence. But he seems lacking in the ability to get the best out of our attack options , and I fear another season of us having the best defence in the league and scoring far too few goals.
Does it appear to you that he's playing with Marco's tactics at all?

Does it appear to you that he's playing with Marco's tactics at all?
I put in an earlier post that the similarities are a sound defence and a big striker who works hard but never looks like scoring . Marco’s team is evolving , it’ll be interesting to see how he integrates Kean, Richarlison , Iwobi , I cant see Unsworth’s team evolving without bringing in a bunch of the younger players .
I remember before Christmas last year when the first team seemed to lose a goal every game from poor Zonal marking at set pieces and the U23s defence looked unbreachable marking man to man at set pieces. He does it his way , sticks to his tried and trusted ways and it’s successful at U23s .

I put in an earlier post that the similarities are a sound defence and a big striker who works hard but never looks like scoring . Marco’s team is evolving , it’ll be interesting to see how he integrates Kean, Richarlison , Iwobi , I cant see Unsworth’s team evolving without bringing in a bunch of the younger players .
I remember before Christmas last year when the first team seemed to lose a goal every game from poor Zonal marking at set pieces and the U23s defence looked unbreachable marking man to man at set pieces. He does it his way , sticks to his tried and trusted ways and it’s successful at U23s .
Does at least the defensive line look similar? Silva can play a bit lower line, but he DEFINITELY wants them to condense the defensive zone at times. But the formations are different?

Tbf, the tournament was absent last year and Valdes is newly hired with the Juvenil A squad (All 16-18 years of age) still in pre-season whereas Everton already finished their preseason. They sustained injuries before & during the tournament and Victor decided to avoid taxing the young players any further before the season begins much less UEFA Youth League, the CDR etc

Nothing to do with sportsmanship
I think Valdes was correct in his decision, too much pressure put on these kids. My lad is friends with Louis Barry who Barcelona signed from West Brom and they've got another tournament this week.

Kinda telling they’d rather use him in the Otten Cup rather than a level higher though.
May,maybe not,who knows,if they dont think hes ready for u23s ,leave him in the u18s for a bit-the amount of goals he scored has maybe fast speeded him up a bit quicker than they were going to do

Everton u16s and u18s premier League cup draw has been made,Games and dates yet to TBC

Group C
Everton, Fulham, Norwich, Sunderland

Clubs will play each other once in the group stage, either home or away, and the six group winners and two best runners-up will advance to the quarter-finals.
Knockout ties are all one-off matches, decided by extra-time if level after 90 minutes and penalties if required.

Other Groups

Group A
Arsenal, Blackburn Rovers, Chelsea, Wolves

Group B
Aston Villa, Derby County, Middlesbrough, Reading

Group D
Liverpool, Man City, Southampton, Swansea City

Group E
Newcastle, Stoke City, Spurs, West Ham

Group F
Brighton, Leicester City, Man United, West Brom