Everton Youth Teams Thread

Final Score Wolves u23s 0 Everton u23s 0, 2nd 0-0 draw for Everton in a week leaves them 6th at this minute, next u23s league game is away to 2nd placed Arsenal u23s on friday night with 7pm ko, They usually dont show games Live, next u18s game in league is home to west brom saturday morning at 11.30am.
Thanks once again Ring master for these very welcome reports.

Anthony Gordon wins the best Best attacker award at the otten cup-he was not the top scorer by way incase people think he won it for that

Final Score Wolves u23s 0 Everton u23s 0, 2nd 0-0 draw for Everton in a week leaves them 6th at this minute, next u23s league game is away to 2nd placed Arsenal u23s on friday night with 7pm ko, They usually dont show games Live, next u18s game in league is home to west brom saturday morning at 11.30am.
David Unsworth urged his players to be more clinical in front of goal after Everton Under-23s drew 0-0 at Wolves, their second consecutive goalless scoreline in Premier League 2.

The Toffees created enough chances to have won at Telford United's Bucks Head Stadium but in the end they were indebted to an excellent goalkeeping display from teenage goalkeeper Nico Hansen to bring home a share of the spoils.

“We created numerous opportunities but just haven’t put the ball in the back of the net and it’s the most difficult thing to do at any level of football,” said Unsworth.

“Their keeper made some good saves, but we should have won the game. It was just one of those games and that’s why strikers cost so much money.

“When we get opportunities we’ve got to show the calmness and the composure and the quality to put the ball into the back of the net. For two-thirds of the match we were in control and played some good football at times.”

Hansen’s first good save came after five minutes to deny Bruno Jordao, and it set the tone for an assured 90 minutes.

Everton had the better of the opening period, passing the ball about nicely in the middle of the field.

On eight minutes, Cuco Martina clipped the ball towards the edge of the home box from where Fraser Hornby half-volleyed over. Then, just before the half-hour, Callum Connolly crashed a header from a corner against the crossbar.

Antony Evans was unfortunate to see his shot clear the bar after good approach play from Beni Baningime and Harry Charsley.

The early exchanges after the break were frenetic with chances at both ends. Jordao scuffed a great chance wide for Wolves and then forced Hansen into a superb save with a close-range angled shot.

For Everton, Hornby found space inside the box but was thwarted by a late challenge.

Hansen was called on again on 75 minutes to make a fine double save to keep out Shagangi and Taylor Perry – the second stop with his right hand was particularly impressive.

Not long after, the Blues keeper dived to his right to push away an effort from Elliot Watt.

Nico was absolutely terrific,” said Unsworth. “He’s missed a lot of football through injury and I thought his performance today was fantastic. I’m delighted for Nico, it’ a great clean sheet.

“The lads will be disappointed that we’ve drawn the first two games but performance-wise we were a lot better today. If we want to win games, though, we have to start converting chances.

“It would be a bigger problem if we weren’t creating chances, but we are, we’re just not putting the ball in the back of the net.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wolves under-23 head coach Rob Edwards was delighted with the performance from his side in their goalless draw with Everton at New Bucks Head.

The development side picked up their first point since being promoted into Premier League 2 Division 1 in their first home match of the season, but it could have been more for Edwards’ side had it not been for an inspired performance from Everton goalkeeper Nico Hansen, who made nine saves on Sunday afternoon to maintain his clean sheet.

On the goalless draw with Everton

“I’m really pleased with the performance and I think we did enough to win the game. Speaking to their goalkeeper coach as we were walking off and he said their keeper made nine saves today and he touched the ball 63 times.

“I asked him what the average usually is and he said normally 45, so I think it’s fair to say we had enough chances there to win the game - maybe two games to be honest.

“On the flip side of that Andreas (Sondergaard) made a really good save to deny them, maybe the only save that he had to make, but he did it, because it would have been similar to last week that it was frustrating to have chances but not take anything from it.

“I’m really pleased with the clean sheet, I’m really pleased with the performance and the good individual performances, and as a team we stuck to the game plan, played the way we do, and did it really well.

“It’s frustrating not to win the game, but results are a product of the performance and if we keep playing like that and performing that way then we’ll pick up more points than not.”

On continued improvements

“In the two games so far, we’ve still got a lot to work on, but there’s a lot there that I’m really pleased with as well.

“It was difficult at times to speed the game up and we had to be patient at times and speed it up at the right time, but we did that quite well in the wide areas, but Everton have a lot of know-how and they have some great players, a real work ethic, energy and aggression about them which we had to stand up to.

“But we really imprinted our game on them as well, and that was the pleasing thing.”

Well I guess Unsworth has to be supportive of his team but for me his comment “ . For two-thirds of the match we were in control and played some good football at times.” is wrong . Wolves I would say had more chances in the box , we had a few decent ones but Hansen made far more good saves than their keeper. While players like Baningime and Adeniran had good games it was more stopping attacks, controlling the midfield, there was not a lot of creative play taking us forward.
If you’ve seen these players before then I would say that all the starting outfield 10 lived up to our knowledge and expectations of them , I can’t say I saw anything new today.

Well I wouldn't say that although there is definitely one dead beat that stands out there .
Maybe I’m being harsh but a number of that team have no future, I know a number of the younger players who will be pushing for places are at the Otten cup.
But still I wouldn’t put past unsworth to still be picking these same players over the next few weeks abs months.

Hardly a promising snippet from Unsworth in the Echo. Saying he’ll pick the strongest squad of what is available too him. Looks like a season full of the older, experienced players and some horrid football for the U23’s.

Hardly a promising snippet from Unsworth in the Echo. Saying he’ll pick the strongest squad of what is available too him. Looks like a season full of the older, experienced players and some horrid football for the U23’s.
He needs to go, then. He needs to take another gig and try his hand at managing in a lower league to win. The U23s is not about winning, it's about development and nothing else.

He needs to go, then. He needs to take another gig and try his hand at managing in a lower league to win. The U23s is not about winning, it's about development and nothing else.

....but we really don’t know if he’s adhering to the club strategy. These more experienced Academy professionals
are on big contracts, the DoF might insist they play.

I don’t know if this is the case, but it could be.

....but we really don’t know if he’s adhering to the club strategy. These more experienced Academy professionals
are on big contracts, the DoF might insist they play.

I don’t know if this is the case, but it could be.
That's fair. It's probably a bit of a leap to suggest he's some rogue element, especially considering he's demonstrated tremendous loyalty to Everton. However, you do wonder how interested he would really be managing a team if he wasn't 100% focused on winning. I always thought that was a strange thing, but it really can't be just about winning at the U23 level.