Match Thread Everton vs Chelsea - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it was a pen, and we were lucky not to give one away earlier via same player, but the way you say if us - you would probably be right as we seem to get so many more worst tackles, handballs etc last season that were not given, that if it was the opposition would have been given
No mate just looki biased, it's not a pen, the rest of the claptrap you can stick up your red hoop.

Complete waste of time today. We will never win a game without a striker, for all the promising displays we saw from some individuals.
If Thelwell couldn't see this from the minute he was appointed then he is a worse DOF than even Steve Walsh and Marcel Brands.

We were absolutely crap but we’ll get better and so will Everton. That was a nailed on yawn bore draw without the penalty (and it was a pen imho)…

It was extremely soft, and we wouldn't have got it in a million years. The dive that was given as a free to Chelsea just before the pen won't be matched all season in terms of bad decisions. Tarkowski didn't get within a yard of him and he still dived.

And no I am not a fan of PL referees after last season....

After the previous personal disasters at St James Park, Origi at The Pit (and, from our POV, no disaster at Goodison in The Derby - Pickford managed a Reverse Van Dijk in trying to save a corner ending in an injury to one of our own. It's one thing to fail to save the corner, courtesy of Ben's mistake, it's another thing completely to mess it up to the extent that Godfrey felt he needs to commit to stop a goal. It's another Flashy Pickford Moment

If you can't see the Chelsea player honing in on your mistake then you are an idiot... Let it go or Belt it into the Main Stand or whatever... just don't pussyfoot about.. AGAIN.

And he managed another Pickford Moment late on failing to control a problem which resulted - fortunately - in no further disaster but a questionable Free Kick conceded (by Patterson).

I've not read a single post in this thread so I don't know what the mood around the place is after today's game. With that being said, I thought we looked considerably less nervous defensively, particularly during set pieces and that was even in spite of losing two of our starting centre-backs. This should not be downplayed in my opinion as it needed rectifying for the vast majority of last season. It could save us shipping 20+ goals if we keep it up.

in addition, take a look at Chelsea's official MOTM poll:

All defensive players, yet our attack wasn't much to write home about today in my opinion. Gray was particularly frustrating with his decision making in the final third, I thought he definitely should of made the killer pass for Gordon to be put clean through where Silva stood firm. Some might view that as Silva with a great block but I think if Gray kept on running for a few more yards he could of been more incisive and managed to pick out Gordon. I guess we'll never know, eh? There were other instances of a lack of incision that I can't really recall right now but they definitely happened and they were definitely frustrating lol

Honourable mentions:

I thought Patterson coped well v Sterling for the most part, not an easy task for even the most seasoned of professionals. McNeil on the other hand got turned inside out once or twice (no, I'm not saying he had a bad game). We even saw glimpses of what Patterson can do at the other end. Not the disaster that some folks would die to make you believe *cough* @davek *cough*

Iwobi looked industrious in central midfield, carrying on where he left off last season some might say. It should be interesting to see what Frank does with him once Onana and Gana stamp their authority on the two positions in midfield if we're sticking with the same formation. He doesn't deserve to be dropped, Doucoure definitely does the lumbering oaf.

All in all, the positives were there today like Frank has said himself.

We had something like 13 points from our first 5 games last season and ended in a relegation scrap. I'm not too worried losing to Chelsea first day and I believe if the right signings are made then we can have a pretty decent mid table season with an eye to the future.
True but we went onto a spiral of death...was it 1 win in 14 games. I can't see that happening this time (hoping)

I've not read a single post in this thread so I don't know what the mood around the place is after today's game. With that being said, I thought we looked considerably less nervous defensively, particularly during set pieces and that was even in spite of losing two of our starting centre-backs. This should not be downplayed in my opinion as it needed rectifying for the vast majority of last season. It could save us shipping 20+ goals if we keep it up.

All defensive players, yet our attack wasn't much to write home about today in my opinion. Gray was particularly frustrating with his decision making in the final third, I thought he definitely should of made the killer pass for Gordon to be put clean through where Silva stood firm. Some might view that as Silva with a great block but I think if Gray kept on running for a few more yards he could of been more incisive and managed to pick out Gordon. I guess we'll never know, eh? There were other instances of a lack of incision that I can't really recall right now but they definitely happened and they were definitely frustrating lol

Honourable mentions:

I thought Patterson coped well v Sterling for the most part, not an easy task for even the most seasoned of professionals. McNeil on the other hand got turned inside out once or twice (no, I'm not saying he had a bad game). We even saw glimpses of what Patterson can do at the other end. Not the disaster that some folks would die to make you believe *cough* @davek *cough*

Iwobi looked industrious in central midfield, carrying on where he left off last season some might say. It should be interesting to see what Frank does with him once Onana and Gana stamp their authority on the two positions in midfield if we're sticking with the same formation. He doesn't deserve to be dropped, Doucoure definitely does the lumbering oaf.

We need a striker.

Honourable mentions:

Actually Patterson chasing after Sterling and falling on his arse opened up the right side of our defence for the pass into Chilwell that brought the pen.

Complete waste of time today. We will never win a game without a striker, for all the promising displays we saw from some individuals.
If Thelwell couldn't see this from the minute he was appointed then he is a worse DOF than even Steve Walsh and Marcel Brands.
No one was expecting DCL to get a knee injury 3 days before the game, and ftr we’ve been trying to sign one all summer as well as other targets

Status
Not open for further replies.