Match Thread Everton vs Chelsea - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s actually hilarious that people expect a team that almost got relegated last year to beat a Champions League level title contender that have improved massively and because we didn’t that means we’re just as bad as last season.

If you couldn’t see the obvious improvement in this team today, if you can’t tell that one of our vital signings was literally sat in the crowd and will be in the squad going forward, if you think we didn’t get incredibly unlucky this week with 3 starting players getting injuries whilst also thinking that we’re not gonna address these injuries with incoming transfers and most importantly if you think we’ll be in a relegation fight this season then quite simply you don’t know football.

Just think ffs, use your brain. This loss was literally better than 90% of performances last season and we’re still not at full strength.
Absolutely. Add to that we weren't playing like a team that didn't want to put the hard work in, or was bereft of confidence as we saw often especially before Frank last year. We're gonna lose games to decent sides this year, but I am confident we will also win games, against both poor and decent sides this year,

There was a lot to like about that performance - solid and disciplined at the back , excellent performances by Iwobi (MOM for me ) , Tarkowski , Patterson and even Holgate - regardless of bringing in Gana Onana we won't win many games without additional creativity and a decent striker.

Without a brainfart by Doucoure ( who otherwise played well ) we don't lose that game , but on the other hand we really didn't look like scoring let alone winning.

It's just a complete joke we go into the first game of the season without a striker. didn't give ourselves a chance and could have been a result that set the tone nice and early

Disappointed with the outcome but not in the least bit surprised.
At least we didn't fold second half.
Gutted for Godfrey hope he makes a good recovery.
At least we're not bottom.
Onwards and upwards.

Pleased that Patterson didn't look out of place and still with room to improve defensively. Wing back suits him at the moment if he has someone decent in the back three to cover. Very impressed with Iwobi's play today.

Midfield should be better with incoming signings. Forwards, well let's see. Gray, Gordon and Dele are not more than an emergency answer. McNeil gets a pass, played some nice link-up stuff but drifted out of the game which is understandable in new team.

It’s actually hilarious that people expect a team that almost got relegated last year to beat a Champions League level title contender that have improved massively and because we didn’t that means we’re just as bad as last season.

If you couldn’t see the obvious improvement in this team today, if you can’t tell that one of our vital signings was literally sat in the crowd and will be in the squad going forward, if you think we didn’t get incredibly unlucky this week with 3 starting players getting injuries whilst also thinking that we’re not gonna address these injuries with incoming transfers and most importantly if you think we’ll be in a relegation fight this season then quite simply you don’t know football.

Just think ffs, use your brain. This loss was literally better than 90% of performances last season and we’re still not at full strength.
Eloquently put and 100% agree

I expected nothing from todays game other than getting smashed 4 or 5. So a 1 nil loss isn't too bad
Not too bad...but losing a player long term and probably facing a chelsea team that have played their worst game in a long time feel like a miss opportunity. Let's hope we don't find ourselves needing 3 points at the end of the season.

Reactions: MrD

We set up with Gordon up top to play on the break. Gray makes that pass in the first hald and Gordon scores. Fine margins.

It was reassuring to see how we dealt with the huge amount of corners we conceded. Last season we would have leaked 3/4 goals from those. Credit to whoever in the staff who has sorted that out.

Lampard is going to be pulling his hair out with the 2 injuries today. This is why he was talking about robust players. Mina just gets injured when no one is around him and Godfreys was just an absolute brainless passage of play.

Absolutely. Add to that we weren't playing like a team that didn't want to put the hard work in, or was bereft of confidence as we saw often especially before Frank last year. We're gonna lose games to decent sides this year, but I am confident we will also win games, against both poor and decent sides this year,
Exactly. The absolute best possible we could be this year is 7th, this isn’t me saying that we’ll get anywhere close to that more so that the top 6 is obviously nailed on. The 7th best team in any league should fairly often be beat by the 3rd or 4th best, that’s why a table works.

Chelsea are a much better side than us that’s quite obvious however if we can perform like that or better consistently then there won’t be sides like Norwich and Watford last year absolutely playing us off the park in an embarrassing fashion.

I’ve no issues losing a game like that to Chelsea whatsoever.

Nah I can't really take positives from that. Chelsea were poor and we couldn't punish them at home. All it did was highlight just how unreliable our options are up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.