Match Thread Everton v West Bromwich Albion - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you think we've shot ourselves in the foot because we haven't been good enough? I strongly suspect that we are now. Well, much, much better anyway.
Yeah more than likely we haven't been good enough,It's all about changing the mindset, too many years of disappointment

I say this every time we look to maybe be finally turning the corner but here it goes again: these are the most telling games. Early kickoff, no crowd, against a team we have more talent then and that is surely going to be sitting deep means that we need to come out, control the game, play fast and put them away swiftly. Stacking wins together during a stretch like West Brom, Palace, Brighton is how you push toward Europe.

If we play as good as we did against Spuds and there's no reason we won't, more reasons we could play even better, then we should have no problem against these

I have no issues with teams that sit deep and look to break, especially away from home. No need to force ‘pretty football’ if it’s not to your strengths. Any other season, these would be the games I dread but looking at it, I think we’ll be happy to have the lions share of possession as I think we now have the quality to utilise it. Brom are a physically big team but DCL is by no means a write off in the physical/aerial battles and will create space for Richy (who will need to improve his finishing from the spurs game mind). Digne’s deliveries from set pieces and James’ through balls should be enough to carve them open once and then we can get a real grip of the game. We cannot concede first here. Allan and Doucouré are going to be essential in stopping the counter attacks that @Baggies Emma mentions (they do have some tricky players) and for once, I trust our midfield to screen the defence well. If they sit off too much, might give James a few opportunities from range? A tasty thought. This is such an ‘Everton that’ game though but with Carlo and his Brazilian bulldog surely we have enough to put these to the sword (please Everton)

You'd have to think West Brom will be less open than they were against Leicester. The perfect game for James to show us what we've been missing in terms of creativity.

I think we are now capable of beating teams who come to Goodison to defend. We have width to supply crosses, DCL looks capable of competing, we have players in midfield who can pass the ball forward and we have midfielders who can carry the ball forward and we have Richy who is no longer our only goal threat.

Should bang these on saturday, they're playing a league 2 side tonight as well so they'll all be injured after getting kicked for 90 mins :coffee:

Dont change a winning team, but if we had to Siggy for Gomes, also i really want to see more of Niels Nkounkou in the first team. However i think we need to start the same as last week.

Beautiful that we were able to negotiate a mid-week cup game without any of Pickford, Mina, Coleman, Allan, Rodriguez, Doucouré, Richarlison and DCL. Nice and fresh to hopefully smash WBA in two days time. Let's keep another clean sheet please.

Status
Not open for further replies.