Match Thread Everton v Tottenham Hotspur.- FA Cup 5th Rd.- Wednesday - 8.15pm

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of talk and column inches about this being “an old fashioned FA Cup tie” because of the back and forth nature of the game and the number of goals. I’m sure that there were FA Cup games like that in the competition’s heyday but the real reason it can be accurately referred to as “old fashioned” were that two decent top division clubs picked more or less their best teams and set about winning the game at all costs. Fantastic to see and a poke in the eye to the EPL whose all encompassing greed has helped severely diminish the FA Cup into a shadow of it’s former self.
Anyhow, well in Blue. Great effort.

Keane was due one having been a man mountain for us all season. Tbf he wasn’t at his best but still produced some good moments and helped steady the ship near the end. One of the most improved players in the team this season.
Totally agree with you there, been a revelation.

He looked really out of sorts from the whistle yesterday. I wonder whether Ben Godfrey is starting to scare him a bit for his place. He was 'dropped'/rested for the Leeds game wasn't he?

Hope he rises to the challenge, rather than shrinks

A lot of talk and column inches about this being “an old fashioned FA Cup tie” because of the back and forth nature of the game and the number of goals. I’m sure that there were FA Cup games like that in the competition’s heyday but the real reason it can be accurately referred to as “old fashioned” were that two decent top division clubs picked more or less their best teams and set about winning the game at all costs. Fantastic to see and a poke in the eye to the EPL whose all encompassing greed has helped severely diminish the FA Cup into a shadow of it’s former self.
Couldn’t agree more. Great to see two top premier league clubs treating the competition with the respect it deserves. This picking a weakened team for the FA cup has even extended to championship clubs ‘resting’ players. Whoever went through last night deserves to go far in the competition, for the teams they picked. Thankfully it was us.

What a performance.... btw this game is also proved that Richi is 100% more efficient as a second striker , having him playing on the it’s side just frustrating him , Carlo has a headache ...or sweet dilemmas , James , Allan , Gomes

Whilst I’m not throwing the book at BT Sport yesterday, made me laugh when the pundits focussed on Harry Winks post game, for being at fault for our goal.

“Winks... well, that’s tired legs for you after a long game”.... he came on, at the start of rxtra time.

We won the game, and they creamed over Spurs.

We’re through though! Bournemouth at home next please

Yeah totally agree 100%. One of the best games of football in a long time, even if it wasn't good for my health and deprived me of a good night's sleep lol

We played our strongest available team. Players were only left out due to injuries. Spurs picked their best team except Harry Kane, and he still played 70 mins and was managed due to a recent injury.

Also, that game was another clear example of why their should always be extra time in cup football. I get that it's a tough season and players need managed, but think how many big footballing moments would never have happened without extra time. Players had to dig deep and really leave everything on the pitch. Sometimes sport is about seeing who can push themselves and show the determination to win as much as the quality.

It's a great type of match to win, maybe wouldn't be saying the same if it had gone 5-4 for the other way, or we'd lost on pens!!

Apparently if we conceded from a corner under Moyes, that is what they spend the entirety of the following Monday working on. The dour scot had his faults, but JEE SUS, how many times are we to see NOBODY on the back post to defend against what are usually not absolutely A-list crosses.

Doing it three times vs shoitey Millwall under Silva should have been a sacking offence on its own.

You never get people on the posts anymore. I reckon the coaches just weigh up is it worth it having a guy on the post or having the guy defending a man/zone. It’s one of those decisions you only question when a goal goes in but isn’t praised when a corner is defended successfully.

Whilst I’m not throwing the book at BT Sport yesterday, made me laugh when the pundits focussed on Harry Winks post game, for being at fault for our goal.

“Winks... well, that’s tired legs for you after a long game”.... he came on, at the start of rxtra time.

We won the game, and they creamed over Spurs.

We’re through though! Bournemouth at home next please

Yes. Although in 2013 we were all thinking "Wigan at home please".... ugghh. If I hadn't received my masters result later that day (Merit!) I might have jumped off a bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.