Match Thread Everton v Southampton - Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was great to be back inside Goodison with a full house after 15 months and topped off with a good result in the end.

First half was pretty dire and Keane in particular had an absolute nightmare. I’d like to see a CB pairing of Godfrey and Mina when fit, providing we don’t ship Holgate off and sign a new CB.

Thought Seamus had a decent game at RB but we’re crying out for fresh legs in that position and Brands needs to get that addressed this month. Allan another who continues to concern me. Think another CM and winger this month would also set us up for the season.

Credit to Benitez for the tactical switch at HT as I could only see the game going one way after the first half performance. Thought Doucoure was superb in the second half along with Richarlison. Great to see DCL get a goal and hopefully he’ll get plenty this season once his fitness improves, particularly with the amount of balls we got in to the box from wide areas.

All in all a good start but the board still need to address the weaknesses in the squad if we’re to build on this. Doucoure MOTM for me.

It's not an obsession. The formation helps but yes, key is having quality players and good movement - and that comes from coaching too which I'm sure Benitez has worked on but in the first half it was the same problem.

It's why I have such an issue with people saying it's about desire etc. It's not always just that. You can have all the desire in the world but if you're 30 yards away from each other all the time then the odds are you're not going to get anywhere.

Our second and third goals are what Everton should be, but both of them were also examples of us getting players forward in stages rather than hit and rush and isolating our own attackers.

I say I want to see 4-3-3 because I believe that gets the best out of the midfielders and forwards that we have. There's a reason the best sides generally use a variation of that and always have 3 forward players too. Chelsea do it slightly differently but if Mount plays in the three will drop in to make the midfield three etc.

See where you are coming from mate but the manager doesn't have his own players in yet - if he prefers 4231 then lets see what happens over the next 1-2 summer windows.

Klopp/Guardiola etc didnt change their system to suit the squads they walked into.

Was great to be back inside Goodison with a full house after 15 months and topped off with a good result in the end.

First half was pretty dire and Keane in particular had an absolute nightmare. I’d like to see a CB pairing of Godfrey and Mina when fit, providing we don’t ship Holgate off and sign a new CB.

Thought Seamus had a decent game at RB but we’re crying out for fresh legs in that position and Brands needs to get that addressed this month. Allan another who continues to concern me. Think another CM and winger this month would also set us up for the season.

Credit to Benitez for the tactical switch at HT as I could only see the game going one way after the first half performance. Thought Doucoure was superb in the second half along with Richarlison. Great to see DCL get a goal and hopefully he’ll get plenty this season once his fitness improves, particularly with the amount of balls we got in to the box from wide areas.

All in all a good start but the board still need to address the weaknesses in the squad if we’re to build on this. Doucoure MOTM for me.
Agree with all of this.

let’s hope we get players in

Embarassment to our fanbase - the young lads dont even know who the fella is ffs.

Too busy reading the ramblings of some on here and drinking the Kool Aid of being a "boss bloo" to not like the manager.
They know who he is alright,they know the history.Well done today,thought Benitez handled the occasion with class.COYBB.

I find you calling Keane (a player who has openly spoken about his previous mental health issues) a “mental midget” is out of order tbh.

Yes he had a poor game, made a mistake that led to a goal and deserves criticism, no doubt.

Thought you were better than jibes like this.

Behave mate nothing to do with mental health he craps himself everytime there is an ounce of pressure which is why he isn't in the England set up anymore.

A premier league player who struggles with having fans in a stadium isn't one we can afford to have in the starting 11 week in week out.

Holgates miles worse though although with him he's just not good enough/too cocky.

Behave mate nothing to do with mental health he craps himself everytime there is an ounce of pressure which is why he isn't in the England set up anymore.

A premier league player who struggles with having fans in a stadium isn't one we can afford to have in the starting 11 week in week out.

Holgates miles worse though although with him he's just not good enough/too cocky.

Can’t handle the pressure? So it’s a mentality problem? No strong enough mentally?

All problems he has previously discussed with a sports psychologist when discussing his mental health.

Don’t think you shouldn’t be using terms like ”mental midget” in reference to any player who has previously struggled with their mental health. This is only my opinion, of course.

That’s all I’m going to say now as it‘s off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.