Match Thread Everton v Southampton - Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha..

HT - big jelly baby keggers is back and the Rafael out brigade are celebrating our imminent defeat.

FT
Rafael wins 1st game in charge after failing to do so for any other club he has managed in PL before.
Our two "rubbish" signings both influential.
Richy and Dom score after no real rest or preseason.
Doucs the "donkey" hits a BLAMMO.
Our captain that shouldve been melted down for glue pulling Ronaldinho flicks in oppo's box.
We win at home.
We win after going behind.

What a difference 45mins makes to our season and my weekend, cant wait to indulge in a dozen ale tonight now!

UTFT
Just sung it with gusto.

It's our year. I can feel it

Can’t handle the pressure? So it’s a mentality problem? No strong enough mentally?

All problems he has previously discussed with a sports psychologist when discussing his mental health.

Don’t think you shouldn’t be using terms like ”mental midget” in reference to any player who has previously struggled with their mental health. This is only my opinion, of course.

That’s all I’m going to say now as it‘s off topic.

Keane may well have confidence issues but the problem for him is he's at present the starting CB for a top end club in the most watched/scrutinised league in the world with lets face it a bearpit home crowd.

As good a defender as he is and I've praised him over the last 12 months if he's going to crumble with fans back then the club has to have him out of the side and into a more squad role as its no good for either him or the team.

See where you are coming from mate but the manager doesn't have his own players in yet - if he prefers 4231 then lets see what happens over the next 1-2 summer windows.

Klopp/Guardiola etc didnt change their system to suit the squads they walked into.
That's true, but their systems are the ones I'm suggesting! Anyway, a good day. Still a lot of issues but they were here before Benitez so I'm not pinning them on him.

Keane may well have confidence issues but the problem for him is he's at present the starting CB for a top end club in the most watched/scrutinised league in the world with lets face it a bearpit home crowd.

As good a defender as he is and I've praised him over the last 12 months if he's going to crumble with fans back then the club has to have him out of the side and into a more squad role as its no good for either him or the team.

He can't be relied upon because he's such a confidence player. One mistake and his game completely goes - as we saw today. And the thing is, it's easy to force the mistakes because teams just have to press him with pace, and it's similar with Holgate though I do think he has the ability to overcome the confidence hit a bit more - with him it's more about complacency at times I think.

Keane should be the defender we're really looking to move on this year IMO but it's probably going to be Mina, even though he's the best CB at the club by a mile, because of his wages.

He can't be relied upon because he's such a confidence player. One mistake and his game completely goes - as we saw today. And the thing is, it's easy to force the mistakes because teams just have to press him with pace, and it's similar with Holgate though I do think he has the ability to overcome the confidence hit a bit more - with him it's more about complacency at times I think.

Keane should be the defender we're really looking to move on this year IMO but it's probably going to be Mina, even though he's the best CB at the club by a mile, because of his wages.

I agree with that - Keane is certainly a confidence/form player whereas Holgate its just arrogance/lack of concentration.

The thing is, Keane is really good at passing out from the back and passing through the lines. His weakness is that he’s slow and only works if he’s got support in a back 3 or with someone quick like Godfrey next to him. However, if you leave him exposed, he hasn’t got the pace or the turning speed to recover. So for the likes of Burnley who defends deep, he’s fine but if we play high, it’s suicide and his confidence goes. Mina is similar. Easily beaten for speed. If we had to go for slow, I’d rather have the experience of Jonny Evans than a young footballer who hasn’t got the mental strength to keep it together. Glad we won but it’s more down to Benitez’s’ signings, and not what we had before. Really pleased that Townsend and Gray have worked out. They are the type of player we need. We are not ready for the Rodriguez’s of the world. And it shows, they can’t be arsed with midtable Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.