Match Thread Everton v Southampton - Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
To score 3 goals and get a victory on the opening day after such a terrible pre-season (losing the most decorated manager in history and having death threats directed at our new manager) is quite something. I thought we’d lose but the crowd continued to get right behind the lads even when we went behind and the lads showed great character. So brilliant to see R.A.F.A. bonding with the fans too. My son-in-law works for Cazoo and he said that R.A.F.A. was jubilant and shaking hands with Blues hours after the match. Like everyone I had my reservations about his appointment but he gets Scousers and gets our club.
Great post! Let’s get behind our club! COYB!

Re-watching the second half as I fell asleep during the HT break (woke up 2mins before Doucoure’s screamer)

Was there a formation change from 4-2-3-1 with Gray in middle and Richy left; to a 4-4-2 with Gray going outside and Richy moving in, to partner DCL? Or was it pretty fluid throughout?

just noticing Iwobi & Richy cause some issues for Southampton switching between central & out on the right.

Re-watching the second half as I fell asleep during the HT break (woke up 2mins before Doucoure’s screamer)

Was there a formation change from 4-2-3-1 with Gray in middle and Richy left; to a 4-4-2 with Gray going outside and Richy moving in, to partner DCL? Or was it pretty fluid throughout?

just noticing Iwobi & Richy cause some issues for Southampton switching between central & out on the right.
Yes it was changed at HT

Apologies if this has been covered before (other side of the Planet etc...) but with the fans running onto the pitch, has that breached any Covid rules? I'm unsure what measures you guys are under (it's the Dark Ages here) but if there are any restrictions, surely there could be some consequences? ?

I think yesterday was the epitome of a game of two halves. First half was classic late stage Ancelotti, second half was (hopefully) more Benitez influenced. I was quite impressed with Townends effort and Grays pace. Dacoure was immense second half and i also though Seamus played well. Iwobi though, he drives me mad. You see him take the ball and run at the defence and you think that is exactly what we need. But then so often he runs into a blind alley of just seems to bottle out of shots etc. If Benitez can straighten his head out it would be brilliant, but i don't think it is ever going to happen sadly.

I think yesterday was the epitome of a game of two halves. First half was classic late stage Ancelotti, second half was (hopefully) more Benitez influenced. I was quite impressed with Townends effort and Grays pace. Dacoure was immense second half and i also though Seamus played well. Iwobi though, he drives me mad. You see him take the ball and run at the defence and you think that is exactly what we need. But then so often he runs into a blind alley of just seems to bottle out of shots etc. If Benitez can straighten his head out it would be brilliant, but i don't think it is ever going to happen sadly.
Boring as heck...agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.