Match Thread Everton v Southampton - Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just my opinion mate. Don’t see how you blame him more than our £30m England international who can’t pass a ball 5 yards
Well, Keane was appalling. It's not like I'm saying he was faultless or saying he shouldn't be pilloried for it. If he doesn't make his huge mistake then they dont score. But IMO that sitiuation was easily sorted if Holgate is wide awake and belts that ball to safety.

It's more simple than that. Forget the two v one: the ball is shovelled closer to Holgate than the strikers and he lacked any urgency to the danger at hand that should have had him on his toes and wellying that into the Bullens. He was on his heels and completley ill prepared to deal with the balls-up from Keane.

Ild have neither playing for Everton tbh, but that was 60/40 in terms of fault down to Holgate.
It was keane's mistake. Why are you blaming other players? Why don't you blame pickford for not saving it?
You're an idiot.

Well, Keane was appalling. It's not like I'm saying he was faultless or saying he shouldn't be pilloried for it. If he doesn't make his huge mistake then they dont score. But IMO that sitiuation was easily sorted if Holgate is wide awake and belts that ball to safety.
I don’t think any player would expect a player of Keane experience and so called quality to do what he did today though. At least we can agree neither of them are good enough

Pleased for him. Decent on his day and an honest pro. Nice fella as well.
To be honest I used to listen to Talksport on the way to and from work and thought he was dead boring.

But now he's played one alright game for Everton where he kind of tries hard and now I think he's great.

Just shows how starved of character we have been for a long time. I don't understand why so many players fail at it - it's so easy to win over supporters. Just put in a shift! There's a reason some strange people still pine for Steven Naismith on here!

Let's see what he gets in by the end of the window. I'd like to see a strike partner for DCL so we can go to a front two, but I think any cash will be spent at RB.

I think we have the best strike partner we're going to realistically get though in the form of Richarlison.

We can't shift richarlison wide left in a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 because as we saw today it doesn't work. You don't want him on the touchline, you want him in the box, or doing what he did for Dom's goal.

We need another forward option with pace and a real goal threat, as we have needed for the past two years, though. It seems we want McNeil for the right however, and he's never played there, but we'll see.

I'm not digging out Benitez. I just know enough of this team to know what he tried in the first half won't work and, that's also on just simply not having the players that can make systems like that work. Again, a huge failing of Brands.

Now a RB and CM come in and in my mind I think that helps us challenge for Europe with the squad as it is. But we aren't getting those players without shifting Kean and/or James so if they do go they'll need replacing. I think Gomes' time here will be up but we need that ball carrying CB to replace him, not Longstaff.

I don’t think any player would expect a player of Keane experience and so called quality to do what he did today though. At least we can agree neither of them are good enough
Agreed.

I'm looking at the incident again there. I'm labouring the point here but I've just noticed that when Keane is making his calamity Holgate is looking downfield and not at the action 3 yards away from him. No wonder he's on his heels and doesn't deal with it.

Anyway....

Oh mate the obsession of the formation/tactics we've just won 3-1 lol most games won in a 433/343/352/442 ended in a scrappy 1-0 last season its not a massive deal.

Agree completely on Keane/Holgate though the former is a mental midget who crumbles under any pressure and the latter is a bottom half quality player.

I would be offering Holgate around for whatever someone is willing to take for him.
It's not an obsession. The formation helps but yes, key is having quality players and good movement - and that comes from coaching too which I'm sure Benitez has worked on but in the first half it was the same problem.

It's why I have such an issue with people saying it's about desire etc. It's not always just that. You can have all the desire in the world but if you're 30 yards away from each other all the time then the odds are you're not going to get anywhere.

Our second and third goals are what Everton should be, but both of them were also examples of us getting players forward in stages rather than hit and rush and isolating our own attackers.

I say I want to see 4-3-3 because I believe that gets the best out of the midfielders and forwards that we have. There's a reason the best sides generally use a variation of that and always have 3 forward players too. Chelsea do it slightly differently but if Mount plays in the three will drop in to make the midfield three etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.