Match Thread Everton v Southampton - Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all dreadful, and the positioning of the midfielders and the tactics of having a 4-4-1-1 which just didn't work.

It's a system - along with 4-2-3-1 - that doesn't work for us. Even if James stays, which is unlikely, his best role is off the right in English football. There is not enough space in the middle and unless you have a really dynamic playmaker like Fernandes, 4-2-3-1 just stagnates.

I hope Benitez has learned that now because if not we'll see a lot of what we saw under Carlo and later stage Silva and that is 20/30 yard passes having to be hit perfectly, and far too much dawdling on the ball.

Anyway, Keane and Holgate should be the last-choice pairing, ultimately, though clearly circumstances dictated they had to start today.
Let's see what he gets in by the end of the window. I'd like to see a strike partner for DCL so we can go to a front two, but I think any cash will be spent at RB.

Just got off the phone to my dad.

Great to hear him buzzing.
Got there dead early and no issues at all getting in.

All the usual people where there, bar one elderly lady, but a quick phone call confirmed she was fine and had re-newed. She’s in her 80’s. We really are some football club.

I need to pick my games this season sadly, and when he told me to come to the Derby, the reality kicked in when i said “there’s only 3 Goodison Derby’s left dad !”

Enjoy it whilst we can lids.

COYB

Hats off for Benitez for how he got the lads going into second half. Deucoure played further up the pitch and we moved the ball more quickly. Digne more attacking minded and combined well with Gray onnthe left side.

Keane gets a lot of sticks rightly so, but he is still our best header at the back alongside Mina. Have no problem with him starting the next game alongside Godfrey.

Gray and Townshead looked promising and Gray gives us more pace and can play on both wings. Allans lack of pace were exposed and will pick up a lot of cards.

Not a great performance, but 3 points in the bank.

He was two on one in split second reaction situation after his England international team mate pea rolled it to them.​

It's more simple than that. Forget the two v one: the ball is shovelled closer to Holgate than the strikers and he lacked any urgency to the danger at hand that should have had him on his toes and wellying that into the Bullens. He was on his heels and completley ill prepared to deal with the balls-up from Keane.

Ild have neither playing for Everton tbh, but that was 60/40 in terms of fault down to Holgate.

It's more simple than that. Forget the two v one: the ball is shovelled closer to Holgate than the strikers and he lacked any urgency to the danger at hand that should have had him on his toes and wellying that into the Bullens. He was on his heels and completley ill prepared to deal with the balls-up from Keane.

Ild have neither playing for Everton tbh, but that was 60/40 in terms of fault down to Holgate.
Chatting absolute poo mate

To score 3 goals and get a victory on the opening day after such a terrible pre-season (losing the most decorated manager in history and having death threats directed at our new manager) is quite something. I thought we’d lose but the crowd continued to get right behind the lads even when we went behind and the lads showed great character. So brilliant to see R.A.F.A. bonding with the fans too. My son-in-law works for Cazoo and he said that R.A.F.A. was jubilant and shaking hands with Blues hours after the match. Like everyone I had my reservations about his appointment but he gets Scousers and gets our club.

To score 3 goals and get a victory on the opening day after such a terrible pre-season (losing the most decorated manager in history and having death threats directed at our new manager) is quite something. I thought we’d lose but the crowd continued to get right behind the lads even when we went behind and the lads showed great character. So brilliant to see R.A.F.A. bonding with the fans too. My son-in-law works for Cazoo and he said that R.A.F.A. was jubilant and shaking hands with Blues hours after the match. Like everyone I had my reservations about his appointment but he gets Scousers and gets our club.

Where was he at that he was surrounded by blues to shake hands with hours after the match?

Status
Not open for further replies.