Match Thread Everton v Newcastle United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take heart from ending up this game with a draw - imagine losing a Cup Final this way to 90+ minutes goals - and just this week too !

100% when we play Liverpool in a cup final this is happening to us. It's just how life works

The fact our season has been a damp squib for some time now at least took some of the edge off yesterday's capitulation. I've long since written things off until next season, after Ancelotti has had a summer transfer window and a full preseason under his belt. I'm not blaming him for yesterday, I'm blaming the players who mentally didn't have what it took to see five minutes of injury time out with a two-goal lead. Pickford jumping behind his own goal line instead of to the side when the first attempt at the equalizer was blocked didn't help, but it was a split-second reactionary move.
Basically, that's a long-winded way of saying, "Everton, that."

I cannot believe you. What planet are you on? Clearly not at planet Goodison where you must surely have seen 3 "tactical errors" from the manager. Did you go home feeling OK and quite satisfied?
I know what you are saying but I feel he is just showing the board that we have no depth .Of course no one liked the result ( It was for me the best performance for a while until the last couple of minutes) but he could be just letting them know where we really are at the moment.

OK so we are 2-0 up and looking to close the game out.
71 min Sub #1 Kean off for Coleman - Kean is done himself in, good job him. Puts a defender with fresh legs on the pitch and lets Sidibe move further forward , reduces the chance of a mistake at the back.
83 min Sub #2 Bernard off for Davies - much like Kean, Bernard has run all over the place. Davies is the only other midfielder on the bench and has covered for Bernard before on the left. 10 minutes left with added time likely
88 min Walcott off for Niasse - There's likely 5 mins left and we are 2-0 up. we need to offload Niasse and the chances of a deal are more likely if he is playing. its a forward for a forward as Sidibe is in left midfield so no harm done.
We have 2 mins of the 90 left and 11 professionals on the pitch against a team who took their only striker off at 78 min.
How did we let 2 goals in?
I'm not sure the subs contributed much to the goals certainly the 3 players that came off would not have changed the outcome of those 2 goals.
Goal #1 Pickford flaps at it badly, Mina follows the ball out and leaves the man he is marking - he should have been there to get a head in the way bravely or do enough to put a CB off when executing an overhead technique.
Goal #2 Davies misjudges the flight of the ball. Calvert Lewin gets his head to a shot but heads downward into the path of the Newcastle players in the 6 yard box. Delph and Schniederlin are watching. Pickford is effectively removing himself from play by being over the goal line.
Both goals were Pickford errors with a lot of help from his team mates but neither should have been happening at all. We had been playing square passess across the back and with 2 DCM's all night and yet could not do that for 5 minutes at the end. Pathetic.

Underplaying the role of Newcastle in the last 15 mins. They may have taken there (poor, out of form) striker off. However, this was because they went more direct, threw more men up the pitch and went for it. Two set-pieces later and they were rewarded with a draw.
It's not out of character for us to show no character in trying to defend this kind of football. We've seen it all season.

Huge opportunity tonight and we blew it - hold out for 1 minute and we are 8th and 2 points off 5th with 2 weeks to get players fit. Now we are 12th and looking the wrong way again.

Seasons ended tonight boys.

Disgraces to the shirt.
I think that it was all over as a competitive season when we got knocked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round. All that's left to play for is a bit of pride :coffee:

Underplaying the role of Newcastle in the last 15 mins. They may have taken there (poor, out of form) striker off. However, this was because they went more direct, threw more men up the pitch and went for it. Two set-pieces later and they were rewarded with a draw.
It's not out of character for us to show no character in trying to defend this kind of football. We've seen it all season.
and not just this season - see Millwall.

I know what you are saying but I feel he is just showing the board that we have no depth .Of course no one liked the result ( It was for me the best performance for a while until the last couple of minutes) but he could be just letting them know where we really are at the moment.
Couldn’t he just tell them around a table, you know, without throwing away two vital and valuable points to,prove his point.

He was quite good actually; shocked me no end.
He didn’t do a lot wrong, made a few good passes, made loads of passes sideways and backwards, but the game is about, or should be, pass and move, Schneiderlin always does the first bit, pass but then stands still, job done to him, he’s a fraud and does as little as he can get away with.

Manager was only one to blame,we have no game on saturday so why take players off that were playing well if they weren,t injured? we would have been 8th this morning had we won but not currently sit 12th place. No wonder the club keep making a loss financially,that top 4 was up for grabs this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.