Match Thread Everton v Manchester United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlo should’ve just lied down at the refs feet, had someone play a ball to him and said, “Could you still see the ball coming at you?” No way did Gylf interfere with De Gea.
Yes that is a good idea, it is hindsight though and not something he would have thought to do at the time.

I was concerned that it would be disallowed when it went in.

The commentators on NBCSN were outraged by the goal being disallowed. I think it's because they're socialized by the replay rules of the NFL, which can be summarized as that the ref's call on the field should stand in a borderline case. Sigurdsson ticks none of the boxes in the laws of the game that would render him offside rather than in an offside position.

In principle, VAR is supposed to also be letting close decisions like this one stand. In practice, that isn't happening. From what soccer I've seen this year, the refereeing and management of VAR seems more incompetent than corrupt, but I get where you all are coming from on that.
You know the NBCSN commentators were arlo white, lee dixon and greame le Soux right?

Referees are overly protected. Can't hear what they are discussing, then dont have to interview after a game and give their views.

I think if we did those two things, it would do a couple of things.

Firstly you can hear they're thinking and it would pyt to bed the myth of corruption and we would be more understanding of the decisions given in the moment.

Interviews post the game give them opportunity to review decisions and Express their views their performance. Much like disappointed players come out for interviews post a difficult game and Visa versa.

See Chelseas match report and the outrage against him. You must accept that even cheats can't fix every game but the opposition can suffer through strange bookings etc. How come he has managed 4 games for one club, how many Merseyside refs have we had?

If Maguire touches it as he did doesn't that mean that siggy is played inside. Just heard a lad onnth radio ask that. Any refs on here know the rule?
Defo goal.anyway. Dr gea gets wrong footed by Maguire's deflection never mind siggy being there

DCL was MoM, head and shoulders above everyone else. United's goal was a touch fortunate for them, despite it being scored by SKY's new poster boy. Tom Davies was a bit suspect in the first half but reallygood in the second. Leighton Baines had a good game also.

Question: Was Sidibe getting a booking for not asking the referee for permission to come back on the pitch another "first" for Everton? I have to admit I haven't come across this one before.

I hope whatever Carlo said to the ref at the end merited a red card.

Ultimately he’s offside and is in direct line of the shot (even moving his leg out of the way), so by the letter of the law it’s the correct decision.

The annoying thing is if Gylfi wasn’t there that still goes in.

It’s one of those incredibly unlucky calls in football, that ultimately is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.