Match Thread Everton v Manchester City - Team Prediction, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
me too, the game only stopped when Silva picked up the ball, should of been booked and our free kick, but the ref drops it to them and they played it to their keeper.
Yeah. I wonder what they made of that on the telly. Players can’t just take it on themselves to stop a game like that.

In the cold light of day we went toe to toe with them and for 50 minutes deserved to be in The lead just about.

I don’t think Jordan had his best evening and IMO could have saved all three of their goals if he was having one of his ‘top of his game’ performances.

It happens… not going to win every game.

Firstly, by the end of the game our players looked knackered. But if a team like Newcastle with all their resources can plead tiredness for losing a game, I'm sure our threadbare squad is entitled to do the same. It was noticeable how our confidence was obviously boosted by scoring, it's just unfortunate we couldn't get a second before half time.

Secondly Jack Grealish. He's obviously a talented player but his main value is his ability to win free kicks. Patterson was yellow carded for putting his arm across Grealish's chest which caused him to, magically, fall forwards onto the ground and get a free kick. Referee was conned again. His diving has always annoyed me.

Foden's equaliser can't be faulted, he's a very good player often admired on here. The penalty decision was questionable to say the least, and wouldn't have been given against City (as has been shown in the past), and the 3rd goal was just due to a brain fart by Pickford when the game was already lost.

My MoM was Myko who was strong throughout the game.

So all in all a great effort but a game too far for our small squad.

The cognitive dissonance herein remains strong : the League is bent to bits. We won't get a penalty all season...the refereeing has been instructed to take us out. I am resigned to the reality that on the last game of the season, Luton pips us to 17th...and we are relegated. You cannot fight corruption of this level...not without exsanguination

The decisions this City side get are absolutely crazy.

I'm not even afraid to say they get more than the reds, because they do.

Refs appear to be scared to give decisions against City
We had a bad one a couple of weeks ago v Spurs, ref played advantage then stopped play with Grealish in on goal, we've had others. FA Cup v United springs to mind, handball v Grealish if you recall. Swings & roundabouts, some you get, some you don't. Very harsh pen v Everton last night but if its against us I would expect it to be given under present interpretations of the rules. That's what's wrong. All the best.

We had a bad one a couple of weeks ago v Spurs, ref played advantage then stopped play with Grealish in on goal, we've had others. FA Cup v United springs to mind, handball v Grealish if you recall. Swings & roundabouts, some you get, some you don't. Very harsh pen v Everton last night but if its against us I would expect it to be given under present interpretations of the rules. That's what's wrong. All the best.
We haven't had a penalty all season. We haven't played with a numerical advantage in about 3 years.

I watch lots of football. Our games against City are by far the most frustrating every season. And the worst decision I've ever seen against us came against City (Rodri non handball).

We don't get that decision yesterday and would have had 3 or 4 booked if we surrounded the ref like that.

The idea these things even themselves out is absolute nonsense. And given our treatment this season you can forgive our frustrations.

Still angry from yesterday. It was never a penalty. The linesman gave it - otherwise VAR could never have said that it was clear and obvious with a shot from that distance. Pickford was awful. He needs to calm down, stay in his goal and let his defenders play the ball out.
That said - City were faster, stronger and clearly fitter. Onana had a shocker and even Branthwaite looked nervous.
I don't think Beto or Danjuma are good enough.
All that said - I'm sick to death of inept officials who are clearly biased. As if City need any help.

In fairness thought the ref tonight was much much better than the spurs game. He let it be some what physical compared to the game the weekend and wasn't calling a foul on every time the opposition player threw themselves to the ground. Sad state of affairs when I have to kind of praise that. Shows how weak officials and players have become and both in general culpable of how the sport has deteriorated as a man's game especially when you see women's football doing way less of that play acting crap. In rugby we were always told when we were younger to go full belt into a tackle as you wouldn't get as bad an injury by doing it half hearted as your muscles brace and tighten.. Wonder is that why it seems that theres alot more injuries in football these days of players pulling out of tackles etc
It was the same when I was young and played ice hockey too. Never pull out of the tackle as the risk of injuring yourself are bigger. Another thing we were taught was to always leave the ice on our own legs, it was embarrassing to need help to get off the ice no matter how much something hurt or was broken.

I guess different times and different sports. All the playacting and fake injuries of modern footballers does my head in.
But they get rewarded for it so reason to stay on you feet even if you could.

Status
Not open for further replies.