Match Thread Everton v Chelsea - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels like the game with Dunc in charge last year. We could win but the idea that playing this way is going to win consistently is nonsense. So winning would be great but we have major issues either way.

nobody isn’t denying we have problems; but I’d like to give one of the most successful managers of all time, time to resolve them

this ain’t no theory based manager, this is the real deal. A challenge he knew, and the board knew, would take time. Which includes rebuilding of a bad squad

The fume is that we're likely playing with 2 CBs as FBs. Sure Godfrey may defend better than Niels but we've seen Niels can cross a ball which we badly need if we have any thoughts of scoring today.

That's because the fullbacks are injured mate.

Kenny's not as good as Iwobi there IMO.
Niels - nobody knows but like I said he wasn't starting given not in the squad recently and they've went Delph and Iwobi ahead of him in recent weeks.

Misery loves misery....you can almost taste the willingness for us to get beat tonight

Carlo Fantastico
Carlo Magnifico
Ole ole
Ole ole
Actually not.

We love this club too much to wish they get beaten before a ball is kicked.

So let me ask you a question; when was the last time IM man started and we won?

Because the priority was midfield and centre half and we don't have unlimited funds.

The problem for me is we never solidify these "priority" positions.

Doucoure & Godfrey have come in for near £50 million and neither position is what I would call sorted at present.

My issue is more with Brands - he leaves us bare in certain areas of the squad every season and when he does sign players I wouldn't exactly say they come in and impress.

Mina
Godfrey

£50 million on those and we are still shipping goals

Gomes
Delph
Doucoure

£52 million on them and is the midfield any better?

I agree in that Ancelotti doesn't have much options but surely we can wheel deal and flog a few players or even grab a loan like we did under Moyes/Martinez

Pulisic is just coming back from injury and they have Werner as a wide player. Not sure what you expected
Pulisic to at least be on the bench. He's been injured but he's been in the team for about two weeks now.

Werner is a wide player but not a very creative one. We have to track him but I'm less worried about what he can do with the ball at his feet.

Holgate at right back is the obvious answer to me. But in honesty I'd have Holgate, Iwobi, Godfrey and even Davies over Kenny.
Holgate still isn't a fullback. His positioning in possession will probably not be very good. The problem becomes even if he's a better option defensively we still have so many defensive issues that we will likely concede.

Status
Not open for further replies.