Match Thread Everton v Chelsea - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really not the point.

The point for anyone with half a brain is this: how is this better than what Silva would've done?

They're gambling that simply changing things will make a difference, without any particular reason why that change will help.

Looking forward to seeing how it works out..!
He has no other option but to pick the back 4 that is out there.
Davies has played terribly last 3 matches. The other options are no better but it is not that clear cut that he is nailed on to start.
And Kean has never scored a goal in the league so it's not a travesty he does not start.
It is not ideal but he has not exactly brilliant options has he

Reassure me mate, what do you think

it’s clearly 4-4-2, back to basics, 2 up front to stop the ball coming back too easily and take a bit of pressure off the centre half pairing. Schneiderlin to sit in and Gylfi to try and make things happen in the middle. Big shift needed from the wide men.

it’s where we are mate, the squads weak as pi55, stick Gbamin, Delph and Gomes in there and it looks a lot stronger.

Distance wise, Sigurdsson has covered more ground than any Everton player in successive seasons. He's also covered more ground over the course of the season than any other player in the league.

Workrate isnt something to hit him with.

It's meaningless if the workrate itself isn't effective.

You may as well play Mo Farah and have him run around the pitch for 90 minutes.

Not necessarily. It's about knowing when to stick or twist with the run.

If Sigurdsson is at his Swansea best, he's receiving the ball from DCL and putting incisive passes through early.

He has ability but he doesn't show it consistently. There's a chance he shows up today - if he does, the setup works. If he doesn't, we get battered.

I'm not sharpening the knives for him - I'm just saying it as I see it. His performance is key to this game.

I'm assuming he's playing central midfield today; not off the striker as he was at Swansea.

And anyway, total ground coverage is still not the way to measure either position!

That's really not the point.

The point for anyone with half a brain is this: how is this better than what Silva would've done?

They're gambling that simply changing things will make a difference, without any particular reason why that change will help.

Looking forward to seeing how it works out..!

The removal of Gana and Zouma with the only replacement being unfit and picking up a serious injury (typical that Gomes gets hurt and Morgan sent off, to expose Gbamin instantly, didn't help) was scandelous transfer business.

The scrambling for Doucoure at the last minute said they knew there where issues.

BIG spend needed in January or this club is in a very real danger of relegation. The squad is injury ravaged and disfunctional.

I'm assuming he's playing central midfield today; not off the striker as he was at Swansea.

And anyway, total ground coverage is still not the way to measure either position!

He'll be the one given licence to break forward once the ball goes long. Whenever DCL gets the ball to feet, I expect Sigurdsson to be breaking a neck to get into the number 10 position.

He has no other option but to pick the back 4 that is out there.
Davies has played terribly last 3 matches. The other options are no better but it is not that clear cut that he is nailed on to start.
And Kean has never scored a goal in the league so it's not a travesty he does not start.
It is not ideal but he has not exactly brilliant options has he

No. So you keep Silva until you find someone better!

Doesn’t matter how much distance gylfi covers when most of it is just chasing shadows or trying to catch up to the opponent after they’ve waltzed past him time and time again

Status
Not open for further replies.