Match Thread Everton v Aston Villa - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our midefield was non-existent against Brighton and completely disappeared in the second half at Arsenal as well. We will need them not to disappear to beat Villa.

Can see Aston Villa winning this, with Ross Barkley playing and bossing the midfield; showing the world why Chelsea splashed out £15m on him. COYB, don't let it happen.

EFC.png
1 (Sigurdsson)

AVFC.png
2 (Watkins, Barkley)

Villa Boss just said Jack Grealish remains unavailable but reports that the results of his recent scan were positive and the loading process has started this week. - Just incase anyone thought a miracle recovery because its Everton lol
He's not match fit anyway, so probably wouldn't be very effective.

Can see Aston Villa winning this, with Ross Barkley playing and bossing the midfield; showing the world why Chelsea splashed out £15m on him. COYB, don't let it happen.

View attachment 125692 1 (Sigurdsson)

View attachment 125693 2 (Watkins, Barkley)

Barkley has played atrociously against us every time. Even lower than his usual crap standard. To the point its like he's still playing for us. But I guess you have an insight i don't.

VILLA BOSS DEAN SMITH PRESS CONFERENCE FOR EVERTON GAME

Little touch of it via Villa

Smith on this weekend’s social media boycott
It’s a unified approach from the football authorities, everybody has got on board and that is how we have to put pressure on these companies. “The players are very supportive of it and very happy that it’s being done.

Smith on Wesley
He’s had one of the most significant injuries that I’ve seen, so it just shows his strength of character. “For him to come on [against West Brom] and almost score the winner just gives the whole squad a boost.

Smith on Season
We weren’t satisfied with 17th last season, there had to be progress and there has been. “There has not been a drop-off in effort from the players, I can guarantee that.

Smith confirms that Jack Grealish remains unavailable but reports that the results of his recent scan were positive and the loading process has started this week. He adds: “Morgan Sanson is still out with a knee injury.

Smith on Matt Targett
His progression this season has been there for all to see. He’s a top-quality left-back.

Smith on Everton
It’s going to be a tough game; they have a very good squad, but we’ve already proved this season that we can beat anybody.”

Think we can only afford to drop 5 points if we want Europe. City away is probably 3 of them therefore we only have one draw left in us from the other 5 games. Need to win this one.

SOME OF THE ANCELOTTI PRE MATCH ASTON VILLA P/C

Injury latest from the boss​

The update is that all the players are available apart from Gbamin and Doucoure. All the others are good.
So that means Michael Keane is fit again hopefully

Carlo on Fight for Europe​

We are not talking about this. We have six games to play & have to try to do our best and see which position we are in by the end of the season. We are still in the fight, which is really good for us, I think the victory against Arsenal gave us more motivation.

Contract talks latest​

On new contracts for James/Coleman - At this moment we're not talking about this.
Our technical director Marcel Brands is involved in this and he will talk with the players directly.

Allan Contract​

Allan has a three-year contract so we are not talking about this. We are satisfied with his first year at the club. His contract is long but it's good to know he likes to say longer

Carlo on the social media boycott this weekend​

I think it's an important campaign because we have two big problems, racism & online abuse. We would like the social media companies to take strong action. I hope this campaign can help us to cut this abuse, I have to say that social media changed the relationship between people. It changed a relationship within fathers & sons, within friends and with players & managers. I think personal relationships are more important
Football & everyone involved in it has a social responsibility. We are followed by a huge amount of people so we have to really be focused there. This campaign is really important because we can push more on social media companies to avoid these situations

Ancelotti on the mood in the Everton camp​

Every game is unpredictable. You can see maybe a good attitude of the players in training & maybe the game will be completely different. You need to be strong, focused & to do our best because every game is vital for everyone

Carlo on what to expect from Villa​

They are a good team, they started the season really well. Everyone knows they have been affected by the absence of their best player. When Aston Villa aren't able to use Grealish they use power, but they are still a good team

Carlo on what must happen with social media​

If you have a look at social media, you can find abuse everywhere, insults. Most people are covered by an anonymous name, this is not tolerable.
The social media companies need to take action on this

Ancelotti on investment in the squad​

It's a club that has a clear project, of course you need to invest because you want to improve.
We didn't talk for the next season but we are going to talk in the next few weeks to try and improve the squad.
Until now we have improved a lot compared to last season.

More on summer plans and progress​

We can step up quickly if we have a good position in Europe for next season but also we can put in place a good programme.

Carlo on Richarlison and DCL​

On Richarlison

He was not so consistent for the quality that he has but is still a fantastic player. He's also young & it's acceptable that maybe this season he wasn't at his best. He had a good period,.. but he has the possibility to score more goals

On Calvert-Lewin

I think the style of play changed, and so he was affected.
It's true we didn't create a lot of chances apart from the last games. For me, it's important the teamwork that he's able to do - and the goals will come

The boss on Pickford​

He's really composed, he's comfortable in the goal.
He came back in good mental and physical condition after the injury he had.

What Carlo is looking for at Goodison​

In a few words I think we need to have more balance.
When we want to propose more attacking football, we need to have balance to avoid the counter attack.
More ambition, totally agreed and more focus on the balance of the team.

Carlo on Coleman​

Seamus is the perfect example of how a player has to be: focused in training, not complaining when he's not playing, always focused on the performance of the team, behaviour of teammates. He's a perfect example as a captain & a player

Carlo on Mina​

He's good, He came back from an injury so didn't play against Arsenal for that reason. He trained before it only two days but he's back, in a good condition & ready to play

Carlo on James Extension​

We didn't talk about an extension, I'm not involved in this. I think we have time to talk about this, because he has another year of contract plus an option. We don't need to talk about this, maybe in the next few months, I think he's happy here

Carlo on King​

In the last few weeks he had a small problem on his back so wasn't available to train properly. He was back today after two days off. His condition is quite good... In training he is absolutely okay, really serious & really professional
I think at the end of the season we are going to talk about if he can have a new contract with us but we have to take a decision at the end of the season

I hate bigging games up but this is a big one. I want to see us have a go from minute 1 on the players’ behalf and no weird formation, abject pragmatism Allardyce ball from the Boss. Attack them, get a few goals up then squeeze the life out of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.