Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with a lot of that. However I am not sure it's the only way to be successful. If we were following that pattern we would go and sign say, Havertz and Sancho this summer- but we know neither would join us. 4 years in and it's very difficult to get players to join us. We attract the level down, your Kean's, your Vlasics, your Iwobi and the levels of inconsistency frustrate fans.

I think the other point to note in this, is young players playing in a struggling team don't really improve. Stones was great when he first arrived into a settled back line, and went backwards after that. You need a balance of youth and experience to be successful.

We are not dining at the same table as Liverpool, or City. So occasionally short cuts are needed. Personally I would sign Koulibaly from Napoli rather than Allen, but if the player shows value then it's the right move. I see people say signing Allen can never be a value signing. I don't understand that. I can understand the position that spending £50m is not value. However what if we got him for £10m? Where is the cut off point? Surely we would be better saying paying big money and handing out long contracts for older players is the issue, as opposed to a blanket belief on not signing them?
I have these discussions on twitter, regarding signing older players and the Likes of Allan.
And you hear the constant shouts, of to old, no resale value, left with another player we won’t be able to shift in a couple of years. All decent points.

But unfortunately we can’t attract the best players at the perfect age. 23 to 26. Only the level down and players who have failed at bigger clubs or are bit part players at other clubs like iwobi.

2 of the best in the prem at the moment, grealish and Maddison are very unlikely coming to us.

We have done well signing young players Over the last few years. Stones & lukaku we made big profits, as we would if we sold Richarlison, DCL and Holgate. I still think we will on Kean, if we keep him for a few years. Even made a small profit on lookman. But if we stick to that philosophy, the best ones will want to leave if you’re still hanging around 7th and 8th, Richarlison will be next.
It’s a never ending project.

So maybe signing better 28/29 year olds moving forward, than the likes of bolasie, Schneiderlin, siggurdsson and Walcott. Very good young players and taking a gamble on the odd mid age range player. Like Rabiot, who is very talented, but has had a few issues. And would maybe be available to a club like us.

Then if we starting moving up the league, and I believe 5th( with city’s ban) isnt out the question next season when you look at Leicester and Sheff Utd. Then you can start to attract the better mid age players. And having Ancelotti would be a huge help to.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a pain but any chance you could name the 4 for me? That website sends my phone haywire.

The four players highlighted are Manchester City’s Rodri, Arsenal’s Matteo Guendouzi, Toulouse’s Ibrahim Sangare and Sassuolo’s Manuel Locatelli.

Basically Sangare came across as being the best option - has played in a 442 for Toulouse who have just been relegated and are apparently skint.

Sangare does remind me of Gana and for me he would be ideal either alongside someone like Allan.

I know. What I look at is a transfer history with a lot of "this guy will improve us here next year" signings that don't think about anything beyond that. Maybe occasionally we do the sign Stones or DCL for a couple million and see what happens but there just isn't enough of it. So yes we could sign Allan and he would make us better next year but what is the outlook for 3 years with that signing? Or 5 years? I know people don't want to think that way but even the richest clubs have to occasionally step back and do that to be successful. City and the RS both did with their current managers. Juve did with Conte way back when. Bayern also when they had Pep.

Dead horse at this point, I know, but the rumor comes up every couple weeks and it is just an alarmingly bad thing to do, imo.
We've done it a fair bit to be honest, but obviously they don't always work out.

The Walsh period that everyone holds up as the absolute worst of recruitment saw us sign loads of players who would theoretically have been with a long term view in mind, but unfortunately most of them turned out to be rubbish. Age profile wise there was nothing at all wrong with Pickford, Keane, Lookman, Vlasic, Klaassen, Sandro etc, it's just that they haven't been as good as we hoped. So we have the same issue really, 3 years on from signing all those players, we don't really want any of them in the side if we're going to get where we're aiming.

In short, it's not the age of the player that's the issue, it's the quality of them. If Allan can come in and be great for 3 years then it's a good signing. If Sangare - for example - came in and was useless then the fact he's 7 years younger would mean absolutely nothing. Obviously you can't exclusively go out and buy 29 year olds, but there's no indication that we're planning to do that.

We've done it a fair bit to be honest, but obviously they don't always work out.

The Walsh period that everyone holds up as the absolute worst of recruitment saw us sign loads of players who would theoretically have been with a long term view in mind, but unfortunately most of them turned out to be rubbish. Age profile wise there was nothing at all wrong with Pickford, Keane, Lookman, Vlasic, Klaassen, Sandro etc, it's just that they haven't been as good as we hoped. So we have the same issue really, 3 years on from signing all those players, we don't really want any of them in the side if we're going to get where we're aiming.

In short, it's not the age of the player that's the issue, it's the quality of them. If Allan can come in and be great for 3 years then it's a good signing. If Sangare - for example - came in and was useless then the fact he's 7 years younger would mean absolutely nothing. Obviously you can't exclusively go out and buy 29 year olds, but there's no indication that we're planning to do that.
The biggest issue with those players wasn't the transfer fee, it was the wages. We wound up paying Sandro over 100k / week, Klaasen was near there too iirc but he was willing to move on. I wonder if there is a way the club could start doing relatively ok wages but really high bonuses? Theres no way Schneiderlein would still be here if his weekly wages weren't a guaranteed 120k / week. If they were about 50-60 with really high bonuses he would have moved on already because other teams would be willing to pay that 50k

Isn’t he injured a lot?

Isn’t he injured a lot?
Has been in the last couple of years. Before that was ok

19/20Biceps femoris muscle injurySep 4, 2019Oct 28, 201954 days10AS Roma
18/19Hamstring InjuryJun 10, 2019Jun 12, 20192 days-
18/19Muscular problemsFeb 21, 2019Mar 27, 201934 days5AS Roma
18/19Torn Muscle FibreJan 19, 2019Feb 20, 201932 days7AS Roma
17/18Hamstring InjuryMar 30, 2018Apr 10, 201811 days4AS Roma
16/17Hip problemsMar 17, 2017Mar 22, 20175 days1Istanbul Basaksehir FK

Has been in the last couple of years. Before that was ok

19/20Biceps femoris muscle injurySep 4, 2019Oct 28, 201954 days10AS Roma
18/19Hamstring InjuryJun 10, 2019Jun 12, 20192 days-
18/19Muscular problemsFeb 21, 2019Mar 27, 201934 days5AS Roma
18/19Torn Muscle FibreJan 19, 2019Feb 20, 201932 days7AS Roma
17/18Hamstring InjuryMar 30, 2018Apr 10, 201811 days4AS Roma
16/17Hip problemsMar 17, 2017Mar 22, 20175 days1Istanbul Basaksehir FK
Looks a perfect fit for us. Sign him up.

https://www.[Publication is blackli...stand-to-lose-another-15m-in-shattering-blow/

Let's hope moshiri had the money

A rebate is one thing, a penalty is another.

If the TV companies are expecting a rebate, then they should be expected to cough up new money to broadcast any games taking place after the completion date.

I can't see how they can demand a rebate and maintain the broadcasting rights to the same games held after the completion date. New deals will be required if they want a rebate.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.