Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlo seems like he lets players come back at their own pace which is cool. So I dont know if he would be pushing them too hard too soon in training like some are suggesting

I know. What I look at is a transfer history with a lot of "this guy will improve us here next year" signings that don't think about anything beyond that. Maybe occasionally we do the sign Stones or DCL for a couple million and see what happens but there just isn't enough of it. So yes we could sign Allan and he would make us better next year but what is the outlook for 3 years with that signing? Or 5 years? I know people don't want to think that way but even the richest clubs have to occasionally step back and do that to be successful. City and the RS both did with their current managers. Juve did with Conte way back when. Bayern also when they had Pep.

Dead horse at this point, I know, but the rumor comes up every couple weeks and it is just an alarmingly bad thing to do, imo.
I agree with this, buying older players for a couple of years now vs young prospects for a couple of years time is a difficult balance.

Problem with the former is constant churn and rebuild, problem with the latter is it needs patience and acceptance of a couple of years (at least) of ups and downs 'transitional season'. We've had no end of that since Moyes.

We did lots of the former in the noughties and to a degree since, and some of the latter at other times. The solution of course is to buy proven quality in the 23-26 age bracket but that is both expensive and unattainable for Everton currently. We need to progress to regular Europa minimum, ideally CL to get top class players to give their best years to us, but how to do it?

Has to be a blend of older proven quality and risk in some areas with prospects. If it doesn't work problem becomes worse as the likes of richarlison, DCL, holgate etc get into mid-20's and want success so we risk losing them.

Rinse and repeat, as an earlier poster put it.

I agree with this, buying older players for a couple of years now vs young prospects for a couple of years time is a difficult balance.

Problem with the former is constant churn and rebuild, problem with the latter is it needs patience and acceptance of a couple of years (at least) of ups and downs 'transitional season'. We've had no end of that since Moyes.

We did lots of the former in the noughties and to a degree since, and some of the latter at other times. The solution of course is to buy proven quality in the 23-26 age bracket but that is both expensive and unattainable for Everton currently. We need to progress to regular Europa minimum, ideally CL to get top class players to give their best years to us, but how to do it?

Has to be a blend of older proven quality and risk in some areas with prospects. If it doesn't work problem becomes worse as the likes of richarlison, DCL, holgate etc get into mid-20's and want success so we risk losing them.

Rinse and repeat, as an earlier poster put it.
I genuinely think with a strong concentration on players that fall into the Richarlison or Iwobi bracket, i.e. guys who are young and have shown some level of ability in the top division (PL or more likely abroad), we can build a pretty complete squad of guys who not only develop into decent players but also get there together and have a strong team continuity when they reach a competitive level. Obviously that approach is going to have ups and downs as those two players will show on their own. And it also doesn't mean we shouldn't take the opportunity to sign Digne or Gomes when it pops up. In the end though the policy is trending the right way. Pretty much every Brands signing aside from Delph is sensible imo, so hopefully this Allan stuff and the rumors about Ancelotti being given latitude to sign his players, who might not fit what the longer plan is, are just rumors.

I know. What I look at is a transfer history with a lot of "this guy will improve us here next year" signings that don't think about anything beyond that. Maybe occasionally we do the sign Stones or DCL for a couple million and see what happens but there just isn't enough of it. So yes we could sign Allan and he would make us better next year but what is the outlook for 3 years with that signing? Or 5 years? I know people don't want to think that way but even the richest clubs have to occasionally step back and do that to be successful. City and the RS both did with their current managers. Juve did with Conte way back when. Bayern also when they had Pep.

Dead horse at this point, I know, but the rumor comes up every couple weeks and it is just an alarmingly bad thing to do, imo.

I agree with a lot of that. However I am not sure it's the only way to be successful. If we were following that pattern we would go and sign say, Havertz and Sancho this summer- but we know neither would join us. 4 years in and it's very difficult to get players to join us. We attract the level down, your Kean's, your Vlasics, your Iwobi and the levels of inconsistency frustrate fans.

I think the other point to note in this, is young players playing in a struggling team don't really improve. Stones was great when he first arrived into a settled back line, and went backwards after that. You need a balance of youth and experience to be successful.

We are not dining at the same table as Liverpool, or City. So occasionally short cuts are needed. Personally I would sign Koulibaly from Napoli rather than Allen, but if the player shows value then it's the right move. I see people say signing Allen can never be a value signing. I don't understand that. I can understand the position that spending £50m is not value. However what if we got him for £10m? Where is the cut off point? Surely we would be better saying paying big money and handing out long contracts for older players is the issue, as opposed to a blanket belief on not signing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.