Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe there is a huge rebuilding job to be done on the squad. I think the basis is already there for a very good team, there are also a number of players who could rise to the desired level or could in time leave the club.

We have a squad with a lot of young players and in my opinion as well as bringing in young talent we need a couple of older more experienced players.... and above everything else we need to sign a couple of leaders.

At present I think that Pickford, Digne, Gomes, Holgate, Richarlison and DCL are players that would be welcome in the squads of most clubs including those at the very top of the table.
Gbamin is in a different category because he would seem to be the type of player we need but we have never really seen what he is capable of.

I think there are a number of others that could prove to be of a high standard but as yet have not done so as yet. Alex Iwobi, Tom Davies, Lewis Gibson, Anthony Gordon, JonJoe Kenny are ones that spring quickly to mind and I sure I am forgetting a couple.

I know that some on here will rubbish some of those names but then they rubbished Holgate, DCL and others before as well so I am happy to let CA decide.

I think the addition in this window of maybe just three first team players could see our team being transformed.

Agree with some of this but think you're seriously overrating Pickford. I genuinely think he's one of the worst keepers in the league, made worse by the fact his temperament is all off. Gets himself far too worked up.

We couldn't have got Haaland at the point Dortmund did though, that's the issue. We could have got him, but earlier, and then you don't know how things will turn out. Would he have been ready to play in the PL at that point? If he wasn't, would not playing have stunted his development? Would he even have come without assurances over playing time? Would he have had the same impact coming into a struggling team as he did going to a team dominating their league? It's not that simple.

The ones I think we need to be identifying earlier aren't necessarily the superstars, it's the players who are just good to have. We've been linked with Hojberg for example, for double what Southampton paid for him. He would have been good enough to play for us at any point since he went there, we need to get in there earlier for players like him.
I agree with you. Haaland isn't an example of someone we could have ever gotten because he came through to quickly. Brandt is because he spent 4 years or so being good for Leverkusen. But ultimately yes guys like Hojberg who have a chance to be great, will almost certainly be decent and probably won't lose money are the way to go.

We have tried this strategy - Moise Kean - unfortunantely it seems that one isn't working for us - however in general terms I agree that a combination of signings like Stones ( from Barnsley NOT re-signing him from City!) , DCL , Richarlison and Holgate coupled with more experienced seasoned players is the way forward.

I don't think we will have sucess or even a platform for young talent to develop if we pack the team full of young potential.

Of course it is a fine balance. Older players who are injury prone , such as Delph , must be avoided. However the experience of Gareth Barry shows that you can get great value from an older pro.
We haven't tried it though. Signing one player per year who fits isn't really trying it.

Hmmmmm.... DCL was crucified for 2 years, Moise Kean the same, unfortunately EFC want immediate impact and success and then moan that we let players go when they come good

kean is quality, he will come good but not in an EFC shirt imho
Hopefully our fans can come around to the wisdom of a medium to long term plan. It isn't like we should let the team get relegated or something. Just be patient and try to build year on year until we are competitive closer to the top instead of trying to make one large leap.

“Decisions” on players who never even make the squad....Yeah ok. There’s no chance they’re being extended.
Perfectly did with giving Baines another 1 year deal. Showed he can be a good backup to Digne and allows prioritization elsewhere.

Nothing stopping us from taking a cheap punt from somewhere knowing that if it doesnt really work out we have Baines either.

“Decisions” on players who never even make the squad....Yeah ok. There’s no chance they’re being extended.
Perfectly did with giving Baines another 1 year deal. Showed he can be a good backup to Digne and allows prioritization elsewhere.

we will still be saying this in season 2029-30 at this rate!

Not been on here much recently, has anybody asked @davek for his opinion on this news?

No problem with Baines, he can still offer something. As for the other 3. I'll change my vote on the Brands poll if that happens. Confident I won't have to though.

Sadly I wouldnt be shocked if Stekkers is given another year.

I would imagine Lossl will be punted and we need more than Pickford, with Virginia utterly stinking out on loan it leaves us a little short.

It doesn't have to he Sancho and Havertz though. We could have signed Brandt two years ago for example and that would have been just as good. The idea is to get Sancho before he's Sancho.

There is a point where Allan would be decent value but Napoli aren't allowing that.

I doubt Brandt would have come here. I think you need to be getting regular European football to attract such players. Either way he's scored 3 in 29 this season for Dortmund, so it shows mistakes can also be made doing that.

As for Allan that is a fair point. I just feel if fees start to collapse sharper for players over 27, there will be enormous potential value there.

I get what you're saying, and there's a grain of truth in it.

The issue is it's been jam tomorrow for years now. Moyes put together a good young team (Arteta, Jagielka, Baines, Fellaini, Cahill, Pienaar etc) that never quite made the final step and eventually either got old or moved to be successful elsewhere. Then Martinez came in and we had to be patient watching Stones messing about making mistakes because he was going to be great, and Barkley and Deulofeu had to be allowed to make bad decisions because they were going to develop. All of them were gone by the time they were 23 and we were starting again.

There's nothing weird or unique to Everton in not wanting to wait years for things to come good, especially when you've been waiting 30 years already and appear no closer than you ever have been.

The difference is though, neither Martinez nor Moyes operated under an owner who was clearly ready to pump significant funds in and want to see quite a sharp return on the investment. Moyes and Martinez also made very strong starts so bought themselves credit and time.

If you were a manager at Everton now, I wouldn't look much beyond my first year. Get a good year under your belt, ideally getting into Europe and build from there. You won't get 3 or 4 years to put a team together if you don't make an impact

I doubt Brandt would have come here. I think you need to be getting regular European football to attract such players. Either way he's scored 3 in 29 this season for Dortmund, so it shows mistakes can also be made doing that.

As for Allan that is a fair point. I just feel if fees start to collapse sharper for players over 27, there will be enormous potential value there.
If you've watched much of Dortmund you'll probably not feel that Brandt was a mistake. He's great. He'd be our best creative player by light years.

Status
Not open for further replies.