Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is crazy how fans I know who support other PL clubs rate Gordon far more highly than some of us do. A Villa and a Barcode I know both have him on their summer wish list.

The Villa guy knows him well from youth level as his lad played for Villa at that level (now in L1). He thinks sooner or later Gordon will find the finishing he had at that level and then suddenly everyone will notice him and see how good the rest of his game is.

I’m not as sure as Mike the Villain that Gordon will find his finishing boots at PL level but if he did everybody will be in for him given he already has heart, energy, burst and work rate that is getting him noticed beyond our fanbase.

I get the sense Villa wouldnt have wanted to lose him, particularly to a sort of rival in January. Given their recruitment, I do wonder if he would be one, they would be happy to let go.

Given the investment they are making with fees and wages, i think they will have to look at getting something back in, so his availability could fluid. Also Gerrard didn't sign him and seems to want to build a layer of his own players.

Its not technically, its hypothetically.

If we hadnt won versus Palace, Burnley might have won their game.

How very dare you.

Yes it's very hypothetical, but Burnley knew they needed a win last week regardless, and got outplayed for 75 minutes. We finished 4 points ahead and you can't get 4 points on the final day.

Given the investment they are making with fees and wages, i think they will have to look at getting something back in, so his availability could fluid. Also Gerrard didn't sign him and seems to want to build a layer of his own players.

Yes. I think if he fancies him, he doesnt go for Coutinho does he?

Yes. I think if he fancies him, he doesnt go for Coutinho does he?

Shades of us with Rooney and Sigurdsson, we know how that ended mate. I dont think you can accommodate both Couthino and Buenidea in the same side and have balance. Its a lot to have invested Buenidea his fee was just shy of 35 million and will be on a reflective wage. Couthino will be on big money..

To my mind both players need the team to be built around them to get the best out of them, so i suspect ultimately there will be preferred one and they will be left with a high cost back up - they will look to move on.

Its all sadly very familiar to us.

It is crazy how fans I know who support other PL clubs rate Gordon far more highly than some of us do. A Villa and a Barcode I know both have him on their summer wish list.

The Villa guy knows him well from youth level as his lad played for Villa at that level (now in L1). He thinks sooner or later Gordon will find the finishing he had at that level and then suddenly everyone will notice him and see how good the rest of his game is.

I’m not as sure as Mike the Villain that Gordon will find his finishing boots at PL level but if he did everybody will be in for him given he already has heart, energy, burst and work rate that is getting him noticed beyond our fanbase.
I think he’s a good young lad. Once he gets one that’s not a deflection I think he fly, would help if he was in a more balanced team as well

Christian Eriksen has scored 1 goal in 10, are you saying he hasn’t really been a hit either? I have absolutely no idea why you’re fixated on how many goals midfielders have scored. All of the players mentioned above are absolutely miles better than Cornet.
Eriksen is a good example of what i'm trying to say really. He's the type of player most of us would have said to avoid like the plague, and yet he's done really well since coming back to the PL. It feels like sometimes people just pick out half a dozen or so players who've been bought from the Championship and done well and use them as 'evidence' that it's what we should be doing, when you could do exactly the same thing for players who've been bought from the PL or from top European clubs or whatever. Nobody says 'look at how well Eriksen and Coutinho have done, we should look for players on the way down from top European clubs' but they do say 'Jarrod Bowen is really good so clearly spending £25m on this lad from the championship is a good idea'. As I say, i'm not saying we shouldn't sign from there, just that it's much more about identifying good players who can do what we need than focusing on where they come from.

You've also got to admire how he handled this season, he's a young lad and has not long turned 21. Despite that he managed to stay pretty consitent through all the drama and bullshit of this season and become a key part of the squad. Hopefully next year with a full preseason under lampard, some new signings and HOPEFULLY a less disasterous campaign we could see him really shine.

It's also worth saying, some of the names I see as having stepped up, I'm not sure have done.

I know they are both young, but Eze has scored 5 goals in 2 seasons, and Olise has scored 2 goals in a season. Its 7 goals in 3 years combined. They may get better, but I'm not sure a manager is looking at that and thinking its overwhelmingly successful.

Just to counter a little, I think the championship is a good recruiting ground. You probably get the best players, who are quite battle hardened. I also think theres a bit of nostalgia to the Moyes time where we did that well, which has shifted the narrative a little.

I hope we look at the Championship more in the coming windows as there is quality down there but the yoof players are over rated at times.

For all the gushing over Palace's stars they won the same amount of games as us and finished bottom half. If these players were as good as some believe they should be pushing for Europe.

Johnson is the only player in the Championship this season who I think could go on to be a star of the same calibre of your Sterlings, Bowens etc.

Others may have decent careers like Eze, Tomori etc but not the "next level" we need to be looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.