Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I pointed oot to @TheBigIguana the days of signing highly rated Championship players for buttons is over.

Minimum you're paying these days is £20-30 millions.
And as I pointed out that isn't true if you know what you're doing. There will be some players who go for that but a lot who don't.

I mean you kept bringing up Bowen who was under 20m

And as I pointed out that isn't true if you know what you're doing. There will be some players who go for that but a lot who don't.

I mean you kept bringing up Bowen who was under 20m
if you consider the "hits".

Maddison 20m, granted a few years back now.
Bowen 18m
Fulham fella 5m
Olise 8m
Stones 2m
Holgate 2m
Bale 10m :hayee:

Theres a list for Zat, its a shame hes got me on ignore, he would like that list.

?

Of course there are good players there, I'm not saying otherwise. I'm just saying that there are just as many examples of players of players who haven't made the step up. It seems to have become this default position that we should just go out and sign a load of players from the Championship and all our problems would be solved but the reality is a bit different.

It's also worth saying, some of the names I see as having stepped up, I'm not sure have done.

I know they are both young, but Eze has scored 5 goals in 2 seasons, and Olise has scored 2 goals in a season. Its 7 goals in 3 years combined. They may get better, but I'm not sure a manager is looking at that and thinking its overwhelmingly successful.

Just to counter a little, I think the championship is a good recruiting ground. You probably get the best players, who are quite battle hardened. I also think theres a bit of nostalgia to the Moyes time where we did that well, which has shifted the narrative a little.

Swift's a good example of why the 'there's loads of dead good players in the Championship' line doesn't always stand up to scrutiny. He's been bandied about for ages but he's about to turn 27 and was available on a free and he's ended up moving to a midtable Championship side. There's obviously something about him that top flight teams aren't sure about.
He's not an athlete

It's also worth saying, some of the names I see as having stepped up, I'm not sure have done.

I know they are both young, but Eze has scored 5 goals in 2 seasons, and Olise has scored 2 goals in a season. Its 7 goals in 3 years combined. They may get better, but I'm not sure a manager is looking at that and thinking its overwhelmingly successful.

Just to counter a little, I think the championship is a good recruiting ground. You probably get the best players, who are quite battle hardened. I also think theres a bit of nostalgia to the Moyes time where we did that well, which has shifted the narrative a little.
Yeah, I agree with your point on Eze and Olise, everybody assumes they have been a massive hit and whilst they have potential and Eze has been injured, they havent really set the world on fire.

Even that Broja at Chelsea.

Yeah, I agree with your point on Eze and Olise, everybody assumes they have been a massive hit and whilst they have potential and Eze has been injured, they havent really set the world on fire.

Even that Broja at Chelsea.

He has, but the record is still about 1 goal in 10 games.

It's not bad, but honestly it's a long way off being a hit. Neither do a lot for the team defensively either.

You look at Cornet, who has 9 goals in 1 season and is available at a comparable price.

I think that’s a bit simplistic taking two midfielders/wingers, adding up the goals they’ve scored and then declaring them flops based off that. Especially when both have suffered bad injuries in that time. Both would stroll into our side and improve it.

He has, but the record is still about 1 goal in 10 games.

It's not bad, but honestly it's a long way off being a hit. Neither do a lot for the team defensively either.

You look at Cornet, who has 9 goals in 1 season and is available at a comparable price.

Christian Eriksen has scored 1 goal in 10, are you saying he hasn’t really been a hit either? I have absolutely no idea why you’re fixated on how many goals midfielders have scored. All of the players mentioned above are absolutely miles better than Cornet.

I think that’s a bit simplistic taking two midfielders/wingers, adding up the goals they’ve scored and then declaring them flops based off that. Especially when both have suffered bad injuries in that time. Both would stroll into our side and improve it.

Yes it is probably a bit over simplistic, and theres more to contribute than just goals.

I'm not sure either get in ahead of Richarlison, Gray or Gordon though mate.

I'm not saying they have flopped either, but I'm also not sure they have been the success stories some say.

Yes it is probably a bit over simplistic, and theres more to contribute than just goals.

I'm not sure either get in ahead of Richarlison, Gray or Gordon though mate.

I'm not saying they have flopped either, but I'm also not sure they have been the success stories some say.

They are both a lot better than Gray and Gordon currently.

Christian Eriksen has scored 1 goal in 10, are you saying he hasn’t really been a hit either? I have absolutely no idea why you’re fixated on how many goals midfielders have scored.

I wouldn't say I'm fixated on it mate, but it's just a simple measure to make a judgement.

I havent seen enough of Eriksen, so couldn't really comment mate. From reports he seems to have done great for Brentford though.

Status
Not open for further replies.